Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Ritz
United States
Kelseyville
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look... In a minute I am going to be "that guy," but let me state up front, I have no problem with folks making money, and "value is in the eye of the buyer or seller," and I understand that "the costs for this and that yadda yadda yadda are expensive" etc. etc. I'm even ok with the occasional $60 price tag (though I wish it were more like $50). If I play a typically priced game 3 times with my family of three, it's cheaper and more entertaining than going to most movies. So I comprehend the inherent value in board games.

But the flip side is that some games seriously are NOT worth the 60 and sometimes upwards around 80 dollar price tag that comes printed on the box (LACK of value also being in the eye of the buyer). There simply isn't enough cardboard, card stock, plastic, artwork, story line, etc. in the game to warrant the price tag.

My question to you is (and feel free to explain yourself or not):
In Your Opinion (so no hatin'), what game from the past few years, did you purchase (or trade for) and had buyers remorse later because there simply wasn't enough game in that box?

In my opinion... Mice and Mystics. Not saying that the game isn't fun, but really $75? I just don't see that there is 20% more in that box than the average game on the market. This stands out especially when considering the trade value for it worth 20% over the average game. I just don't see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If you start measuring value of money spent in terms of laughter, fun and time with friends rather than physical 'things', you will find your life a much happier place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Lindsey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek Fleet Captains is a fantastic game, but the price tag asks a bit much for a game that frankly has mediocre components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
Trust me, we publishers do everything we can to keep the price down.

But the cost of shipping, plastic, and printing keeps going up.
I know someone who was trying very hard for a relatively simple game to keep the price point at $30. He had to, when all was said and done, set it at $60. Even then, his profits were razor thin and his company has paid NONE of the publishing staff anything yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
South of You
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably buy most of my games based on the contents, but I keep them based on the fun *I* can get from them after I try them. With that and your criteria, I found Agricola and Le Havre over-priced. Now, I looked at the contents and the rules, bought them, was happy at first, then played them a few times. I enjoyed them enough, but for the cost I didn't want solo games. And, for me, they would always be solo games. I was never going to get my wife or friends to play them, so they had to go. See, cardboard content was appropriate for $ spent, but utility/fun detracted. Contents:$ ratio was good enough to purchase, but play:$ ratio was not good enough to keep. I got much more value when I bought Le Havre on my iPad.

Now, for your example, I disagree (just my opinion and how it played out for me). The contents of Mice & Mystics appeared to be worth the expenditure, and I knew I could give it a shot. My four-year-old son likes it. He will listen to me read the text, asking questions (most pertinent, some not, but he's four). I basically run the mechanics of the game (not so different from a solo game), but he makes the decisions for his characters (where to go, who to engage, when to loot, etc) as long as I keep him within the confines of the rules. He LOVES to roll the dice...for both of us. I have to tell him the results, but he just likes throwing them in the box top. Because of the experience being even more than the contents, I consider this game to be a really good deal. It costs more in terms of $ than many of my games, but it delivers more in fun and time with my son. So, FOR ME, it passed on the contents:$ ratio (getting me to purchase it), but really excelled on the play:$ ratio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tyree
United States
Dayton
Ohio (OH)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, there are some games out there like that. I find with board games, I'm usually satisfied, card games sometimes cheap-out on quality but usually I'm OK with them. Now, if I hear a lot of people saying the same thing about a specific game, I will tend to avoid it.

Truthfully, more often than not, its video games that make me feel cheated sometimes on the price vs quality front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson K
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't pay this but libertalia is over 1000 on amazon. I love my libertalia but that's a little steep. I think you can put a price on time with family and friends and it's substantially less than 1000.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Josephus wrote:
the number of hours a week I get to game, I was getting a better return on my gaming dollars than he was

Hours to dollars don't work.

Five hours playing a game that sucks doesn't compare to an hour of your favorite game with your favorite people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Callan Finn
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Why would you name yourself after a car security device?
badge
i herly berly on gerly werly!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
theritzes wrote:

In my opinion... Mice and Mystics. Not saying that the game isn't fun, but really $75? I just don't see that there is 20% more in that box than the average game on the market. This stands out especially when considering the trade value for it worth 20% over the average game. I just don't see it.

I recently purchased Mice and Mystics for around $83. Mind you, thats AU $83 which is closer to around $85 US. The item was discounted from $115 - the regular price. $83 is the cheapest I'm likely to get it here in Australia, and is a pretty decent deal by Australian standards.

...I haven't actually received the game yet, it hasn't arrived in the post (I ordered it online in Australia - its taken them over 2 weeks to send it), so I can't comment on if its worth the price tag (had to pay around $7 in postage, bringing the actual total to around $90).

...the fact is, I regularly pay this amount for board games. Off hand, 7 wonders from a FLGS is $75. I bought Legendary for around the same price. Galaxy Truckers (Another big expansion) cost me $80. Zombicide was $90. Dungeon Petz was another $75 game.

...not all our board games are so expensive over here. Dixit cost a friend of mine $43 - he also managed to get a special 15% discount. He actually bought around $350 worth of games because of the discount. When I buy board games, I usually do it like this as well - its the only way to get a semi-reasonable price. Other impulse non-bulk buys I can think of off hand... Red November cost me $45. Love letter had a $14 price tag. Wasabi I bought on impulse for around $50. Escape: the Curse of the Temple had an $80-$85 price tag. Nuns on the run was another $50 impulse buy.

It should be noted, those price tags are all FLGS prices (and again, all AU dollars, so, a little bit more if converted to US dollars). Online, I could pick up 7 wonders for $58 dollars (from the same place I bought Mice and Mystics... so, with shipping - $65 - thats a 10 dollar difference, so, if I didn't mind waiting 2 weeks, it'd be worth it). Of course, thats buying from an online Australian store. If you can find a good site that does cheap board games from overseas, its a gold mine! I bought all of Battlestar Galactica from a UK online site (but, they only stocked Fantasy Flight Games), and they had a sale (plus free delivery!) - took a few weeks to get here, but the base game and two expansions only managed to set me back $120.

...its not surprising though. Everything over here is insanely expensive. I picked up Bio-shock infinite brand new in its first days of release for $69 - at a Kmart no less. That was the cheapest I could find - most other places were selling it for $78 - those were electronic stores. Video game stores? They were selling it for $98

5 years ago, they'd of been selling new releases like that for $110, so, at least the prices have gone down a little. Don't know if thats the case with board games, I haven't been in the hobby that long.

Anyway, my point is - $75 for mice and mystics?! Do they do free delivery overseas, because thats a fantastic deal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
overtheboard wrote:

It's not necessarily a publishing cost thing. There are games that are ridiculously expensive because they're out of print. I've eyed a few games that are priced incredibly high and I just can't imagine that they're going to be much more fun than some great games that are half the cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Finkelstein
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly the US is the best place in the world to be a board gamer, with deals and clearances and sales happening on an almost continuous basis.

I can't even remember the last time I paid over $25 for a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 tip is to not pay MSRP. I picked Mice and Mystics up at a local FLGS for $50, which I think is a very reasonable price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Gagnon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Graphic Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics is $58 CAN on meeplemart...how can it be 90$ elsewhere? I think you have to shop a bit more before buying a game.

But you are right, games are often too expensive for what they offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get yourself across to the UK for £60-£70 games and £1.50 a litre petrol matey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Fischer
United States
Chester
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
A Manly Beard
badge
Instagram @bryanbfischer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't hate me, but I just picked up Eclipse from Barnes and Noble for $25 on Clearance.

Luxury items don't make sense to everyone. If the focus is on physical components over strategy, fun, and time spent with friends, then it's going to be really hard to be happy buying luxury items at all.

You pay more for quality. The quality isn't always in the pieces. It's more often in the mechanics, the interaction, the obsession, and the memories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryan Fischer wrote:
Don't hate me, but I just picked up Eclipse from Barnes and Noble for $25 on Clearance.

Luxury items don't make sense to everyone. If the focus is on physical components over strategy, fun, and time spent with friends, then it's going to be really hard to be happy buying luxury items at all.

You pay more for quality. The quality isn't always in the pieces. It's more often in the mechanics, the interaction, the obsession, and the memories.

I wish I had your Barnes and Noble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
I paid about the same price for both Mice and Mystics and Descent: Journeys in the Dark (second edition), and personally I would consider Descent to be the bad investment. I have been having way more fun with Mice and Mystics and Descent has hit the table only once or twice.

It's really all about how much enjoyment you get out of it. You can strictly compare cost vs. components all you want, but then you start to realize that Monopoly is a pretty sweet deal with all the pieces it comes with for ~$20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Finkelstein
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryan Fischer wrote:

Yeah, Barnes and Noble is by far the best spot to get dirt cheap games. Check my collection, over half of it is Barnes and Noble clearance stuff gotten at 75% off or for $2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In general I don't mind paying $50-$75 dollars for a game. I only buy a few each year, I research the games and know my tastes, so I get my moneys worth, especially in the "hours of entertainment" calculations.

However, I would note that I have a frustration when I spend $50 and the components feel cheep. Usually, I notice this the most on cards. They give a feeling that they wont last long, and I think the thought of spending another $50 when all you would want to replace are cards is where the frustration comes from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hovan
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

"One gets what they pays for."

I want the entire production process to make decent money so they will keep turning out good quality games with good quality components. If all we do is look for the cheapest, then all we get is the cheapest. I am not a Wal-Mart supporter.........yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Finkelstein
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlhovan wrote:

"One gets what they pays for."

I want the entire production process to make decent money so they will keep turning out good quality games with good quality components. If all we do is look for the cheapest, then all we get is the cheapest. I am not a Wal-Mart supporter.........yuk

This isn't really true. It assumes that everyone is thrifty and patient. As long as the vast majority of consumers continue to buy whatever, whenever, those of us who are good shoppers will continue to grab great deals all the time without negatively impacting the marketplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy English
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are you trolling?

Really, Mice and Mystics is your example?

There's TONS of stuff in that box, and extremely high quality as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy English
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
overtheboard wrote:

It's not necessarily a publishing cost thing. There are games that are ridiculously expensive because they're out of print. I've eyed a few games that are priced incredibly high and I just can't imagine that they're going to be much more fun than some great games that are half the cost.

Yes, that is how supply and demand works.

Are OOP expensive games more fun than in print ones? Doubtful. If that is your only consideration, then buy the in-print one.

But, it makes no sense to complain about the price of the OOP ones, they are sold for what the market will accept, if that is higher than what you want to pay, then don't pay it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tut_613 wrote:
Are you trolling?

Really, Mice and Mystics is your example?

There's TONS of stuff in that box, and extremely high quality as well.

There isn't a ton of stuff if you compare it with an FFG product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
There are numerous games that make me wonder why anyone would spend more than $20 on, based on the few components, but they have an RRP of $30. The first time it happened was long before I knew much about the board game scene, when I went to buy Illuminati for a friend back in the early 2000s - we'd both enjoyed it at a friend's house a few weeks before. Finally found it in a shop (took ages to find a copy) and it was $35. But it's a card game, why?! It might have been some gold-covered collectors edition or something, but it blew my mind. Being poor at the time, I'd set myself a budget of $15 so it was simply out of my reach; got them a big RPG book instead. This might have been a case of an absurdly priced gamestore (it looks like the current RRP is $35, which is worth less than the $35 of years ago) but I still look at it and wonder why a popular game with so few components would cost so much more than something like Forbidden Island.

Recently I saw a game on Kickstarter, Chronos Crusade or something similar. It is 100 cards, a couple of boards, and some sand timers. Lovely art but it cost $60. Now, in this case I could see that the sand timers push up the cost quite a bit, but it was still a good $10-20 more than it seems that it should be. So I have to make a judgement - do I suck up the extra cost in the hope of getting a good game but am I paying more than I want to and getting a lousy game. I took the easy option and didn't buy it.

But there are tons of games out there that are more reasonably priced, and since there doesn't seem to be any correlation between price per component and fun, I'm going to go with price as a big deciding factor.

Ultimately, something costs as much as someone is willing to pay, and while there are people like me who are on a budget and consider the physical things they are buying as well as the results (hopefully lots of hours of entertainment) they will have fewer customers if they price themselves too high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.