Hide
6 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: What are character abilities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Dave
msg tools
Do keywords like "deadly" and "stealth" count as "character abilities"?

So a character with immunitiy to character abilities can't be bypassed via stealth?

Where would I have to look to figure this out myself? I wasn't able to find an answer in neither the rules nor the FAQ. Did I just fail searching?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
P20 in the rulebook under immunity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm King
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
http://waboardgamers.org.au/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keywords are not character abilities so a character who is immune to character abilities may be chosen as the target of stealth or deadly. This is from page 9 of the FAQ, section 3.7

If you searched "character abilities" you would've missed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dave
msg tools
P20 in the rulebook doesn't clarify what exactly a character ability is. The FAQ does. Thanks.

Another question.
Quote:
While Brienne of Tarth is participating in a challenge, opponents cannot trigger effects.

I somewhere read that deadly would be a triggered effect. I again fail to find the rules which clarify that …
Would you please point me to it, again?

The only thing I found:
Quote:
(3.6) Triggered Effects
Any effect that a player chooses to execute is considered a "triggered effect." Thus any effect that begins with a "Phase:" or "Response:" is a triggered effect. Also note that playing an event card is thus considered a triggered effect. A "triggered ability" is a triggered effect printed on a card already in play.

I thought deadly would be considered a passive effect or something like that, as you don't really choose to trigger it.
So Brienne of Tarth doesn't help against deadly?
Does she help against stealth? (As it seems stealth would actually be triggered by a player)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MD Chis
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
dave42 wrote:
P20 in the rulebook doesn't clarify what exactly a character ability is. The FAQ does. Thanks.

Another question.
Quote:
While Brienne of Tarth is participating in a challenge, opponents cannot trigger effects.

I somewhere read that deadly would be a triggered effect. I again fail to find the rules which clarify that …
Would you please point me to it, again?

The only thing I found:
Quote:
(3.6) Triggered Effects
Any effect that a player chooses to execute is considered a "triggered effect." Thus any effect that begins with a "Phase:" or "Response:" is a triggered effect. Also note that playing an event card is thus considered a triggered effect. A "triggered ability" is a triggered effect printed on a card already in play.

I thought deadly would be considered a passive effect or something like that, as you don't really choose to trigger it.
So Brienne of Tarth doesn't help against deadly?
Does she help against stealth? (As it seems stealth would actually be triggered by a player)

Deadly is not a triggered effect nor is it triggered by the opponent. Deadly is a keyword that resolves as a passive effect during the Framework Action after the Player Action Window closes after the Declare Defenders Framework Action. This means that it will trigger (or more appropriately, initiate) regardless of Brienne's participation in the challenge.

Did I confuse you? LoL. Deadly will go off if Brienne participates. Brienne's ability really only affects bold effects like Any Phase or Response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dave
msg tools
I think I already reached the limit for confusion :D

Thanks for explaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.