Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been a supporter of the site for a number of years, and normally I either don't buy up to ad-block level or if I do, I don't enable it, because I don't care. But lately, I'm seeing more and more ads involving barely-clad "women" (usually 3d renderings), to the point where I would worry seriously about someone walking in behind me and seeing the site. My employer doesn't care if we use our computers for personal use a little, so long as work is still done on time, but if my boss walked in with some of these ads up (I'm thinking particularly of the 3d bikini model flash ad, completely with bouncing ), I would have some serious explaining to do.

I've GM'ed
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
when I see these ads, but I don't always get a response, and if one ad gets shut down, another one just takes its place in a week.

I'd like to see BGG adopt a policy that states that all ads must be family-friendly, no worse than a PG rating, with an easier system than GM'ing one person (who might be on vacation, busy, etc.) when there's a problem. Maybe it's just me, but I think ads like "3d bikini model" do a lot more harm (reinforce stereotypes, turn away users) than good (revenue).

In the meantime, I guess I just take BGG out of the whitelist for Chrome AdBlock... I don't want to do that, but I won't be supporting the site financially just to remove offensive material... I shouldn't have to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen an ad like that on here.
Can it be connected to something you've searched for previously?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume they're using Google's ad services which just pull ads in based on keywords and other metrics you specific as the ad purchaser, and ad sellers basically tag their ads with keywords, etc.

That's a gross simplification, but usually sites control what ads they get, independent of user search histories, etc. The closest thing to that I've searched was looking at Tanto Cuore and some other game similar to that when collaborating on an article about sexism in games (primarily video games, but it's starting to hit board games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a job. I won't use company time to browse web. Could I have your boss' name?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
I'm looking for a job. I won't use company time to browse web. Could I have your boss' name?

If you don't have anything to contribute to the discussion, there are plenty of other forums. Or perhaps you should use your free time to look for a job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't want to have to explain it to my wife (or my young children, if I had any) either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you know nothing about the nature of my job. Perhaps I'm help desk or a phone recepionist, where surfing the net between phone calls is all there is to do. Maybe I'm a writer doing research on social media behavior (certainly getting some interesting pieces here). Point is, there are plenty of scenarios where a person might be at their job and have no work to do. And furthermore, depending on the job and the training, they might not have anything they can just "take initiative and do anyway," even if it's not in their job description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Become a BGG supporter, get Adblock and be done with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
Also, you know nothing about the nature of my job. Perhaps I'm help desk or a phone recepionist, where surfing the net between phone calls is all there is to do. Maybe I'm a writer doing research on social media behavior (certainly getting some interesting pieces here). Point is, there are plenty of scenarios where a person might be at their job and have no work to do. And furthermore, depending on the job and the training, they might not have anything they can just "take initiative and do anyway," even if it's not in their job description.

When I was in college, a friend had a job as the night clerk at a hotel... he did all his classwork while he was working, because 99% of the time, he had nothing whatsoever to do. (This was waaaaaaaay before the internet, but I'm sure people with jobs like that are doing tons of surfing nowadays.)

(Just doing my part to add to the thread drift, here...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Leenaerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
Become a BGG supporter, get Adblock and be done with it.

Before posting rather unhelpful and a little bit arrogant posts I'd suggest reading the OP's post carefully...
InfoCynic wrote:
I've been a supporter of the site for a number of years, and normally I either don't buy up to ad-block level or if I do, I don't enable it, because I don't care
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy English
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
I've been a supporter of the site for a number of years, and normally I either don't buy up to ad-block level or if I do, I don't enable it, because I don't care. But lately, I'm seeing more and more ads involving barely-clad "women" (usually 3d renderings), to the point where I would worry seriously about someone walking in behind me and seeing the site. My employer doesn't care if we use our computers for personal use a little, so long as work is still done on time, but if my boss walked in with some of these ads up (I'm thinking particularly of the 3d bikini model flash ad, completely with bouncing ), I would have some serious explaining to do.

I've GM'ed
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
when I see these ads, but I don't always get a response, and if one ad gets shut down, another one just takes its place in a week.

I'd like to see BGG adopt a policy that states that all ads must be family-friendly, no worse than a PG rating, with an easier system than GM'ing one person (who might be on vacation, busy, etc.) when there's a problem. Maybe it's just me, but I think ads like "3d bikini model" do a lot more harm (reinforce stereotypes, turn away users) than good (revenue).

In the meantime, I guess I just take BGG out of the whitelist for Chrome AdBlock... I don't want to do that, but I won't be supporting the site financially just to remove offensive material... I shouldn't have to do that.

Well, lots of us are adults here and don't really want this to be only a 'Family-friendly' site.
So, personally, I hope you don't succeed.

Especially, when you can trivially solve the problem you are complaining about.

Why should I have to have the site I love dumbed down because you refuse to turn the add-block on?
I'm not interested in having your particular moral beliefs foisted on me. And, that's exactly what it would be since you CAN get everything you are asking for, but you don't want to do it that way, you want all of us to also view only the adds that YOU deem are appropriate.

(All the adds I see are for 3D printers, stock photo sites and Kickstarter to be honest, it's pretty much about the kinds of searches and sites done on your computer)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tut_613 wrote:

Well, lots of us are adults here and don't really want this to be only a 'Family-friendly' site.
So, personally, I hope you don't succeed.

Especially, when you can trivially solve the problem you are complaining about.

Why should I have to have the site I love dumbed down because you refuse to turn the add-block on?
I'm not interested in having your particular moral beliefs foisted on me. And, that's exactly what it would be since you CAN get everything you are asking for, but you don't want to do it that way, you want all of us to also view only the adds that YOU deem are appropriate.

(All the adds I see are for 3D printers, stock photo sites and Kickstarter to be honest, it's pretty much about the kinds of searches and sites done on your computer)

Except BGG disagrees with you and doesn't want ads like that either. They still fail to prevent those ads from popping up from time to time, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That explains why I get ads for games and travel while I surf and ads for Zappos and Gudren Sometingswedish after my wife is on the confuser machine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you want to look at adult-themed ads, more power to you, I'm not trying to stop you. I'm just trying to help the site reach a wider audience, and some of these ads are going to be a big turn-off to potential gamers/users.

As an experiment, I had my friend who works for an Internet Filtering company load up the site and refresh a dozen times. In doing so, found 2 "borderline" ads, but nothing overtly offensive. Considering I can browse the site for weeks without seeing anything bad, it's not much of a test, but it was the best I could do on short notice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
herace wrote:

If you don't have anything to contribute to the discussion, there are plenty of other forums. Or perhaps you should use your free time to look for a job.

i think he added the most important part of the equation to the discussion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So i left my ad-block off, and I clicked on the little icon on the ads to go through their process to opt-out of personalization, which should mean I'm seeing nothing but stock ads. Nevermind that personalizing ads is just downright creepy.

I see lots of ads for online games and kickstarter games, which is what I would expect.

Then there's this gem. NSFW. (spoiler was still showing the image, so you get a link instead). http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1647583/infocynic?size=large

Imagine it with animation.

Perhaps I should go post this in the "Women of the Geek" section and see what THEY think about this ad on their site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there's an element running through this thread that is just asking for 'Dude, chill out!' in response! But specifically on the subject of ads - different people do have different levels of toleration (and, if we're honest, a very occasional girl in a bikini just about brushes against only the most sensitive of them), but most sensible people should understand that you have no control over the adverts a site feeds to you, so I wouldn't think there should be much explaining to do; and I would think anyone with a genuine interest in the content of the site probably isn't really going to go elsewhere because of an occasional ad that they can quite easily choose not to look at.

On the other hand, if you definitely don't want to see them, turn ad-block on - as far as I'm aware (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) it's only going to reduce BGG's revenue stream if you normally click-through ads anyway, and would henceforth stop, which, judging by your opinion of them you don't! And if you're really worried about it, then just donate a couple of dollars and you're good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:

I'd like to see BGG adopt a policy that states that all ads must be family-friendly, no worse than a PG rating, with an easier system than GM'ing one person (who might be on vacation, busy, etc.) when there's a problem.

Incidentally, just out of interest I've had a quick look at the bbfc website - and from their description of what's allowed at PG rating I don't think any of the ads would need a certificate any higher - even the bouncing bikini. Certainly they would be more than allowed by the time you got to a 12A certificate, which allows sexual nudity (as long as it is brief and discreet), apparently...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
herace wrote:
Get Adblock and be done with it.

Agreed, not just for BGG, but for Web browsing in general, this is an essential add-on to any browser. Wipes ads out completely and hugely improves the whole experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
Then there's this gem. NSFW. (spoiler was still showing the image, so you get a link instead). http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1647583/infocynic?size=large

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bella
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not everyone that gets the "bikini" ad (or similar) is in that situation due to "more than PG" level searches/site visits, etc. I got this ad today too...the closest thing I can think of is looking at a site for women's athletic clothes. I was kind of surprised (but not offended), because it previously seemed like most of the ads were game-related, or at least family-friendly, and it seemed like there was some sort of criteria in place. On some occasions though, my kids will sit with me while we look at BGG stuff. I would not really want them to see that sort of ad. I am not saying that this site (including the ads) has a requirement to draw a line between appropriate/inappropriate, but if it is being done, I appreciate it. And yes, each person will draw that line in a different place, so I realize it is not exactly clear cut. I also appreciate that if that line moves significantly beyond my own, the site does provide a simple option (Adbloc) to take care of it. In the meantime, until I decide to buy that, or see that the ads are "mom-approved", I probably won't have my kids look at BGG with me. I still think it's a great site, and will continue to enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
InfoCynic wrote:
So i left my ad-block off, and I clicked on the little icon on the ads to go through their process to opt-out of personalization, which should mean I'm seeing nothing but stock ads. Nevermind that personalizing ads is just downright creepy.

I see lots of ads for online games and kickstarter games, which is what I would expect.

Imagine it with animation.

Perhaps I should go post this in the "Women of the Geek" section and see what THEY think about this ad on their site.

The first thing I noticed about the image you linked is that you really need to clean out your GeekMail!

Or is that all just hatemail in response to this thread?

I'd have to say that I agree with you. I use adblock at home, but not on my school computer. And it is really annoying taking a break at my desk to check out BGG and have some of those ads pop up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My GM is forwarded directly to e-mail, so I rarely go in to clean it out. Usually when it ticks over to 100

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Complaint Department

Disclaimer: I'm a volunteer (not privy to all information) and the following is based only on my understanding.

Hi Carl,

I'm in the same boat when it comes to these sorts of adverts. It's not that they offend me, just that I could do without them and if I'm on a work computer in a shared office space, I don't want someone looking over my shoulder thinking that I'm bunking off work to look at drawings of women without many cloths on when I'm bunking off work to look at board games.

These adverts come from Google AdSence and are not okayed by the Geek. Instead BGG has filled in a form about what types of adverts they will and won't accept. BGG will have rejected any sexual or sexualised material (13 year olds can use this site and many gamers don't want this sort of material so there is little gain in having it), unfortunately my guess is that, these types of adverts are sneaked into the system under Google's nose.

To stop these adverts Chad needs them to be reported to him with a screen grab and an address (right click on an advert and 'copy link' etc, to get the address without having to click on the link). Chad can then go and block that advert. (Thanks for reporting these in the past).

The problem is that unscrupulous advertisers can simply keep the image/advert but change the hosting address after a period of time - thus you can see an advert that Chad has blocked return with as far as google is concerned a unique ID. In these cases there is little to do but report it again to Chad. Eventually, after lots of sites have rejected an advert and complained Google gets wise and deals with the advertiser. Unfortunately there are plenty other ones to take their place.

This system clearly isn't ideal but currently it appears to be the best that is on offer. What's difficult is that the cause of the problem is at Googles end and not at the Geeks so it's difficult for the Geek to offer a solution. This isn't to say that BGG isn't looking to improve this system but for the moment the best thing that users can do is report undesirable adverts directly to Chad.

PS:
I believe there are some ways to tell Google AdSence what you do and don't wish to receive directly - anyone got a link or advice on this? (oh I see you've now done this )

PPS:
Just had the offending advert come up - I have an x box in the top corner of it to 'mute this add', this option isn't always available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Flash ads (the one linked in my gallery above) are trickier. For that, I just open the page source and start digging until I find the link, because you can't right-click it.

I did report this one to Chad on the 17th (no response). Hence my comment that maybe he's on vacation or busy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.