Subject: NWS store rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
simon kissam
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
I looked at the NWS store yesterday to see if they had any cool OOP games and I just looked at the GMT games section, and they were so much cheaper. My question is how do they have games so much cheaper than retail and survive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Tewksbury
United States
Fitchburg
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
they're a small operation that don't seem to care about making exorbidant margins on their sales is my take -- I've ordered a lot from them and have been very happy with their products and service
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
This Memorial Day weekend, do not thank a veteran. Say a prayer of thanks for those in our military who gave their last full measure of devotion, and all their tomorrows, so that we could enjoy today and all OUR tomorrows.
mbmbmbmbmb
NWS rocks. Great prices and service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Meister
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpr755 wrote:
NWS rocks. Great prices and service.

I agree. NWS = thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Tewksbury
United States
Fitchburg
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
ctewks wrote:
they're a small operation that don't seem to care about making exorbidant margins on their sales is my take -- I've ordered a lot from them and have been very happy with their products and service

I owned a game store and I'm not certain who you are referring to here in terms of "exorbitant margins", but I assure you that no retailer (online or storefront) is making bank running their business. I have a neighbor who manages a department store and I was at his house once when I owned my store. We were sitting on his back porch drinking beers and he asked me what the profit margin was on games so I told him. After he got done laughing, he asked "...and you can survive on that"???

sometimes you can't say "boo" on BGG without offending someone - exorbitant was probably the wrong adjective to use - if I were to rephrase I'd say that NWS seems to have chosen to make minimalist margins on their sales - I've seen what distributors charge, and I also know in my business (IT) what some of the margins are and they're all designed and established to make a profit on the sale of each of those products.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
ctewks wrote:

I owned a game store and I'm not certain who you are referring to here in terms of "exorbitant margins", but I assure you that no retailer (online or storefront) is making bank running their business. I have a neighbor who manages a department store and I was at his house once when I owned my store. We were sitting on his back porch drinking beers and he asked me what the profit margin was on games so I told him. After he got done laughing, he asked "...and you can survive on that"???

What was your profit margin on games when you owned your store? Do you think the margin has varied much since you owned your game store?

I have had good experiences buying video games from NWS in the past. Does he still buy and sell used games? I had some video games for sale a few years a back and he offered to buy the lot, but his money offer was extremely low so I sold the games individually to the public. A bit more hassle but more money in my pocket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
There are a ton of threads on retail pricing and costs. Just keep in mind that if you buy a game from a distributor for 5 bucks and sell it for 10 bucks you don't make 5 bucks. You need to take pieces out for:
- Rent
- Insurance
- Small Business Taxes
- Utilities
- Employee Pay
- Restocking
- Supplies (cleaning supplies, toilet paper, game table and chair replacements, etc.)

Those are just the biggies. You're not even getting into any fees, loss from theft, let alone YOUR salary, etc.

I kind of liken it to that scene from The Cosby Show where Theo has "regular people" economics explained to him by his father. It looks easy to run a store and because you just laid out $80 bucks for a game they spent $40 on means they're getting a great margin. By the time they figure in JUST what it took to turn the lights on that day ... they need to make a lot of those $40 sales to stay afloat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Palmer
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
ctewks wrote:

I owned a game store too, Pete. After 4 years in the early '80's recession period, I got tired of eating Mac & Cheese four days a week and decided to go get a real job--one that involved a lot fewer hours per week and a lot less hassles.

But at least we gave it a shot, right? surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 NWS - good communication, fast shipping, nice prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Nothing but nice things to say about NWS. They're fantastic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone Newby
Canada
Tupperville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NWS ,rocks!;Good products and great service;even better than some Canadian company's I've dealt with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had better and fast service from NWS in Canada than the big mail order-only guy who is literally a ten minute drive from my house. NWS rocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOE LIBRANDI
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I buy 90% of my games from them. I search online for the best prices, but I always come back to them. They even took a bunch of old PC games off my hands for store credit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought a game from NWS. I had a small problem while ordering so I called Christopher and the problem was solved! Great service!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Franke
United States
Elkton
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting an online store up and running is a great deal cheaper than running a brick and mortar store. You can also handle the small inventory levels easily out of a garage.
Online retailers can also if they have a distrubtor withing driving distance keep VERY low inventory levels and eliminate the shipping charge. The lack of overhead allows you to offer large discounts.
Also if you know your Distrubor well they sometimes offer deals on older games.
I helped a friend who owns a Brick and Mortar store for years. I told him he should close and go online only if he wanted to make money from a business point of view. He likes running his store and believes in the FLGS approach. He is not in it for the money. He HATES online discounters. He does have a loyal customer base developed over the years because he knows his business, gives great service and has open gaming areas.
NWS is one of the best Online stores I have dealt with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trauth
Australia
Pretty much everywhere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is cheaper, it does avoid overheads, but even then some game companies have a requirement that you "prove" that you have a brick and mortar store before then sell to you.

I've seen a blow up on the internets where one major miniatures company had a problem with a business that pulled the 'undersell everyone' stunt, and they ditched their account -despite the fact that the seller was crying about how they were a big advertiser in this miniature company's magazine.

The reason, I guess, that this miniatures company did this, is it apparently deemed what this seller did was anti-competitive and unfair to their other re-sellers.

So in effect, if you find a super low price ... what you do (roughly) is work out an RRP, take 40% off of it and you can work out what a seller's profit margin is. Ok, fine, everyone likes lower prices...

however, you also have to consider that this can be a reason that in many cases there are no hobby businesses that you can rock up to and buy the things.

Or in other words, it can be sort of like how big box stores killed main street.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Joyce
United States
Pandora
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for endorsement
NWS has become my go-to supplier every time I purchase games.
Nothing but praise for communication, service and shipping.
Dan Joyce
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet I've taken a hard look at Battle for Stalingrad four times in the past 12 months. The Stalingrad thread made me go ahead and place an order with NWS.

NWS is my FLGS. I go there first unless I make a decision to support the publisher with a preorder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Collazo
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
medlinke wrote:

I kind of liken it to that scene from The Cosby Show where Theo has "regular people" economics explained to him by his father.

AB-solutely one of the funniest Cosby Show scenes ever. If you've never watched this 3.3 minute clip, it's a must-see. If you've seen it before, it's worth a second look (or 3rd or 4th).

Either way, I bet it makes you laugh! Here you go:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Franke
United States
Elkton
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
southern_cross_116 wrote:
It is cheaper, it does avoid overheads, but even then some game companies have a requirement that you "prove" that you have a brick and mortar store before then sell to you.

I've seen a blow up on the internets where one major miniatures company had a problem with a business that pulled the 'undersell everyone' stunt, and they ditched their account -despite the fact that the seller was crying about how they were a big advertiser in this miniature company's magazine.

Yeah but this doesn't apply to NWS as the largest Board Gaming distributor in the U.S. does not have this policy. In fact they don't require anything but a business license unless you want to sell certain RPG lines like WOTC.

This does indeed kill FLGS by the bushel. Some survive but deep discount online stores are killing bookstores as well.

I saw someone mention that NWS is their FLGS. I call BS on this. A FLGS has your game on hand that you can look at. Is actually in your neighborhood and offers places to meet other gamers.

I love NWS as a company to deal with when my FLGS cannot get something. But they are NOT the FLGS. The big box stores mentioned above are closer to an FLGS than NWS is as at least they are local and you can visit the store.

I have mixed emotions on this as Amazon is KILLING bookstores. I love my bookstore and don't buy from Amazon for that reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the wealth of info at BGG, I do not need to physically see a game to make a purchase decision. As far as a local FLGS, that would be the comic book store, and the chance of them playing anything I'm interested in is close to zero or less. The closest war games store is more than an hour away. Besides, I've dealt with Christopher enough that I feel more comfortable dealing with him than the teenager at the comic book store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been in a store that sells actual wargames in at least 20 years. It would require a drive of 3+ hours to find one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NWS Wargaming Store
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

Thanks for the supportive comments, if you have any questions please let me know.

Take care friends.

Thanks.
Christopher Dean
NWS Online Gaming Store
Director of Operations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Troutman
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
I am called Huginn..., or is it Muninn..., I forget...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 2 questions.

1) You and I had an email exchange a month or two ago around 1:00 AM. I notice your post is time-stamped at 3:22 AM. Do you ever sleep?

2) If I may ask, just how big is NWS? How many employees (full-time, part-time, unpaid interns, etc.)?

For the record, apart from pre-orders, just about all my wargaming purchases are from NWS. Just cannot beat those prices or the service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NWS Wargaming Store
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi LT,

Presently, two full time staff for the store operations - one helps with adding items to the store and updating release dates (he is also one of our game developers), and myself for shipping, communications, and vendor orders. Other members are game developers and beta testers that are not part of the online store operations.

As to sleep? What is that? Define please? It is EST time here obviously but I am a night owl.

Thank you for the support. I do try to keep the core publishers in stock as much as humanly possible with the limited space we have available. I dropped some more problematic publishers due to communications issues, inconsistent sales, or other reasons. This was also done to help reduce my management overhead and so I could help with our own productions. I posted about this change recently.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/961673/nws-online-store-oper...

On average I can ship out orders within about 1-3 business days for our primary publishers (GMT, DVG, MMP, VPG, COA, PSC, LW, Grognard, etc..). Restocks, special orders (Example, some Litko products are "cooked to order"), or imported items (example Zvezda) can take a little longer depending on the items. Anyone can also contact me at anytime to get an estimate of shipping times for specific items on our store.

Let me know if that helps any and if there are any other questions.

Thanks.
Christopher Dean
NWS Online Gaming Store
Director of Operations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.