Subject: looking for light family game.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Geneva
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that we play more light games then heavier games.. I have been looking at getting some great lighter games that play quickly to the table..I would be playing these games with a 11 and 13 year old.. My problem is I like games with Depth and if the game is Too easy I will not want to play it again.. I have been looking at Cant Stop....or Incan Gold...it seems like these would be fun push your luck games..My kids love Card games..I was looking at Clubs, For Sale, Bohananza...Any suggestions would be great...Thank-You..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bella
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, That's My Fish! has very quick-to-explain rules, but still offers some strategy to keep you interested. And the penguins are great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Incan Gold rocks. Great for parties as well.

You want King of Tokyo, No Thanks! and Biblios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Well since you don't want something too easy, here are some light-medium games:

Quarriors!
King of Tokyo
Space Alert
Galaxy Trucker
Forbidden Island
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game
Lords of Waterdeep
Escape: The Curse of the Temple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
King of Tokyo
Love Letter
Pitch Car

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I play everything you mentioned except Clubs with my wife and kids. They also work very well when you want a game to play with other adults or for your kids to play with friends who may not be "gamers" but are not adverse to having a bit of fun.

If you can swing it, having a variety of games of this type would help keep it more interesting for all of you. I find that it is easy to burn out on these kind of quicker, lighter games. None are really games that you are going to want to play game after game, day after day, but as part of a rotation they will last you a very long time. The good thing is that many of the things mentioned in this thread so far are relatively inexpensive.

The folks above me offered some very good recommendations and I second their suggestions of Hey, That's My Fish!, Incan Gold, King of Tokyo and No Thanks! I'm not familiar with Biblios.

Others "card games" to consider:

Love Letter -- played for the first time this week and the whole family liked it. It is a surprising amount of game for just 16 cards. Plays quickly. Under $10!

Coloretto-- this card game has been one of our family's favorites for years. The kids were able to pick it up when they were very young and it is still in regular rotation now that my oldest is approaching 13. Under $10!

Citadels-- if your kids are ok (or even relish!) something with a bit of a competitive, screw the other players vibe, this is a really fun card game, in my opinion. Under $20

Jaipur-- this is only two players, but if you are like me, there are lots of times when one of the kids is busy elsewhere. Quick fun game of buying, selling and managing your hand. Under $20

Dominion-- I offer this with the caveat that it won't be truly quick until you all have a few plays and some familiarity with the game. Once you do, it rips along fairly quickly. It offers a bit more meat on the bones than some of the others on this list, but is pretty easy to learn.

Two others that might work:

Liar's Dice -- or Liars dice, or whatever version catches your eye. An absolute classic (and not just my opinion--the game is supposedly hundreds of years old going back to the Incas!). It is a terrific bluffing, bidding game that anyone can learn in about a minute. The icing on the cake though is that everyone gets their own cup of dice to shake and then SLAM down on the table. If you have Barnes & Noble nearby, I found another copy of Perudo on the clearance table just last week for about $5.

Forbidden Island -- my guys actually like Pandemic better, but Forbidden Island feels quicker and is somewhat lighter. These coop games have you working together to gather treasure and escape a sinking island. Under $15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was introduced to Metropolys a couple weeks ago. Fantastic and simple game that should work with adults and kids. The game's primary mechanic is based on an auction system. The game is about taking control of as many regions of a city map as possible. Every player starts out with two secret scoring cards that tell the respective player what locations on the map will award them points in that game. The players also start with thirteen building playing pieces of three different heights: 1-5 short, 6-9 medium, 10-13 tall. Starting with the first player, that person sets one of their playing pieces on a region. Then the next person can either pass or place a building piece of a higher number on an adjacent spot. That continues until everyone passes and the highest bidder keeps the playing piece on the board and the rest are returned to their respective players. The winner starts the next bid. This continues until someone is out of pieces.

The game is really simple to teach (I just taught you 90% of the rules). The mechanics revolve around trying to figure out what the goals are for the other players, how to keep them from guessing what your goals are, and trying to manage your playing pieces. The game lasts about 45 minutes or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Geneva
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for all the suggestions...I will be looking into these games..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Flores
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Nieces and Nephews in the 9-12 age group and they have enjoyed the following:

Zooloretto
Ticket to ride
Wits and wagers
Botswana
Gem Dealer
For Sale
Parade
Coloretto
Escalation
No thanks

Happy Gaming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondo might work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Anyway, how's your sex life?
badge
"She said the same thing about waffles."
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Forbidden Island

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about an easy card game with an auction?

For Sale is classic that sets up very quickly and plays fast. The box say 3 to 6 players, but there are good 2 player and solo variants posted in the forums. A 4 player game should take about 20 minutes.

Your idea of Can't Stop is a good one, but Can't Stop has a tendency to take way too long at the 4 player count. Great with 2 or 3 though.

My favorite dice filler for 2 all the way to 4 players is Ra: The Dice Game. It plays great at 2, 3 and 4 players. It will take you a few minutes to figure out the scoring, but its quite simple once you do. There is enough meat to the game to keep gamers happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Pritchett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Incan Gold.

Even my 2.5 year old gets in on the game having fun being the designated card flipper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey thats my fish is a good advice. Can't stop seesm suitable, too.

Maori could also be an idea.
Or You're Bluffing! (I havne't tried teh new version Kuhhandel master)

If you and your kids don't mind racing games, Fast Flowing Forest Fellers might be the thing for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.