Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain's Log, Stardate H250414.15:

After refueling and having the rest of the ships systems activated, the training vessel USS Izumi will now head out for our Training Mission Beta - Crystal Bloom. Continuing on from our previous training mission, our understaffed ship will be manned by the following:

Cadet Augury, Captain, WO and DCO
Cadet MerkabaZA, SDO and SRO
Cadet Russia (aka Friend 1), EO and TBO
Cadet Dandelion (aka Lady 2), Helm and JDO

Although we will be operating different stations this time around, I was elected to remain as captain for this mission. On a side--and completely unrelated note--if anyone at the Academy knows how to unlock the voice-command subroutine on the captain's console so that leadership may be passed to another cadet, I'd appreciate the knowledge.

This mission looked to be trickier than the first one now that we actually have to figure out how to use the jump drives. From the outset, the entire crew and myself were shocked to see that the real drives do not work on the basis of the models we used at the Academy. Whereas the model was just a starship on wheels that you pull back on a table then, when released, some magic contained inside would made the toy ship race forward. As baffling as it was to behold such a mechanism, the real thing is far more intimidating. I'm just glad I'm not the one in charge of that station.

Anyhow, as to our mission, we have quite a few unfriendly enemies in our path and we need to successfully snatch the two crystals they are guarding with our new tractor beam, then jump away from the system. Sitting down with the crew in our broom closet officers' lounge, we decided to try to take out the weaker enemy first and get the first crystal without being detected by the other, more powerful ship guarding it. I know this is just training but after the first mission I know that our "friendly" trainers piloting the enemy vessels aren't going to hold back. This could get messy.

Log Update:

First part of our plan was a success! In a manner of speaking.

We got off to a rough start as Cadet Dandelion drew up a course that was exactly what we needed... then froze before successfully plotting it into her console. Instead of going where we wanted to, we nearly left the designated area for the mission and somehow managed to cause some internal damage from the strain. So that was bad.

The weapons officer, who shall go unnamed, also proved to be lackluster in my his first attempt at the station and didn't load a single torpedo. Luckily for us, it was just for practice as we were nowhere near our target so no harm done. Once we actually got close enough for our sneak attack, torpedoes finally got loaded thanks to the assistance of Cadet Dandelion. Sadly a fair number of those torpedoes were misfired.

Cadets Russia and MerkabaZA were doing rather well on their stations, at least compared to the others. Cadet Russia actually managed to get us a boost of 14 power in one shot, making it look easy. Cadet MerkabaZA got locks on all the targets we needed so things are going well.

Now, with the first weak ship disposed of, it's time to grab the crystal and move on. The stronger vessel will likely spot us so we're preparing for battle.

Log Update:

Not good! The plan to take on the stronger ship didn't go quite as anticipated. First we discovered it was the same Cruiser from our first training mission and he is whooping us again! Who is this guy?! What does he have against us?!

I got a couple hits in on him but only one got past his shields and didn't do much damage. We could try locking on him with a tractor beam as I hear that will help our damage but Cadet Russia doesn't want to waste his preparations to get the last crystal.

Our fore section is taking massive damage but at least Cadet MerkabaZA has been providing us with a decent amount of shields.

Wow! There goes another hit! Ugh, the comms shorted again. It's falsely announcing a Shift Change. *sigh* At least this is a chance to get me our terrible WO to another station! Cadet Dandelion, take over here! I got the helm. Yes, yes, Cadet Russia, you and MerkabaZA can switch, too! This is war, not musical chairs, you know.

Computer, transfer captain controls over to Cadet Dandelion.

Computer: Please enter voice command authorization password.

Please?

Computer: Incorrect password. Please enter voice command authorization password.

Umm... Please 4-7-Alpha-Tango?

Computer: Incorrect password. Please enter voice command authorization password. You have three more tries before your account will be locked for fifteen minutes.

Ugh, never mind. Looks like I'll be captaining from the helm.

Log Update:

The Cruiser is still bearing down on us and we're also being swarmed by the other two enemy ships. We can't get a lock on them because, according to Cadet Russia, his hands are too big to manipulate the small controls on the sensors console. But it doesn't matter. Plus Cadet Dandelion would be more effective launching strong words at the enemies instead of wasting torpedoes but that doesn't matter either. Why? Because we already tractored the last crystal into our hold. Not only that but... I just successfully plotted a jump trajectory to get us out of here!

Who's the man? Oh, that's right: I'm the man! Yeah! All I have to do is hit the jump button and we're home free! Maybe it seems unprofessional to brag into an official captain's log but it's hard to be humble when you this darn good! Ha! So go on, computer, keep rambling on about your oh-so-important "Level 5 Core Breach in progress". It doesn't matter one bit because we have a ship full of winners heading home in 3-2-1 WOOSH!

Yeah! High fives all around! Looks like we're not as bad as our instructors tho--

What? Hmm, maybe I didn't press it hard enough. One more time. Woosh!

Woosh. Why won't you woosh?! Wait, MerkabaZA, turn up the volume on the speaker, I can't hear what the computer is saying.

Computer: ...alfunction due to the current core breach. Backup power has been lost to the jump drive and the jump process cannot be completed at this time. Please plot a new jump using basic power only or repair the core breach in progress. Thank you.

Oh, cruddy crud... Um, Cadet Russia we, uh... we need shields and, um... Dandelion try getting some torpedoes in the tube this time, dear, as I think we need to fight our way out of here before we explode. Uh, geez, um, helm, take us to... oh, that's right: I'm helm. Uh, let's get the hell out of here!

Yes, I know about the core breach, dammit! Yes, Level 5! But I need to fly this bucket of bolts! Who's going to spearhead the repair duty? Cadet Dandelion, you're the only one free right now, you think you can pull double duty on the core breach? Ok, good. Remember, once the repair sequence starts, we only have a 30 second window to seal the breach before disaster. You'll have to start and finish the sequence but it needs to go through all of our stations first. So once you get the sealing process underway, immediately transfer it to Cadet MerkabaZA's station. He'll know what to do from there. Once it goes through my console I'll transfer it back to you to finish the procedure. Can you handle it, Dandelion? Ok, I hope so.

Ah, ok, let's get this started! All right, I'll try to plot us a course as far away from the enemies as possible. With any luck they won't be able to reach us to do any more damage. Cadet Russia, I'll be keeping our rear to the guns so get us as much power to the aft shields as possible. Man, it's hard to concentrate with all these sirens and flashing lights. Ok, ok, I think I have a course set. Yes, this'll do just fine. Russia, how're the shields? Really? You got us full shields? Amazing! That's just what we need! We might survive this after all! Ok, I'm setting the course. Hmm, why does it feel like I'm forgetting something important. Guys, is there something that--

Computer: Attention trainees: Your ship has suffered a core breach. Training Mission Beta failed. Simulation over. Goodbye.

What? The core breach?! I forgot! But it didn't even come to my console? Where the...? MerkabaZA?! You're only the second station, how did you not complete it?! Cadet Dandelion only just transferred the repair protocol to your console? What?! Dandelion! You couldn't get the sealing process started in less than 25 seconds? Be we only had 30 seconds to do it? If this were a real mission, we'd be dead! How did it take so... I mean, what did she... why did you... You... I mean... Why do you hate us?!

*sigh*

How embarrassing. Wait, I'm not even going to put this in my log! This is ridiculous. Crap, what the heck am I going to say? How can I put this in the official log without us looking like the idiots that we may certifiably be, according to our recent IQ tests.

What's that? What do you mean the log recording light has been on this whole time? I shut it off as soon as we jumped. Didn't I? I must... oh mothefu--

/End Mission Log

Experience and Achievements:

Augury
XP = 5
Awards: Training Mission Alpha (Easy), Training (Captain), Training (EO)

MerkabaZA
XP = 1
Awards: Training Mission Alpha (Easy)

Friend 1
XP = 4
Awards: Training Mission Alpha (Easy), EO Gen 14

Lady 2
XP = 5
Awards: Training Mission Alpha (Easy), Training (SRO), Training (SDO)

Log Archives:

Session 01: War Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love your session reports! You rock...

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evilone wrote:

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC

Thank you for your encouraging words but let me say that it is you who rock. If it weren't for all the great people out there like yourself who create, publish and sell games, people like me wouldn't have the wonderful experiences that appear in the session reports.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Maher
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really enjoyed this report to the point I want more!! And I want to play this game now too and neither wallet nor wife are going to be pleased with that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nirumaru wrote:
Really enjoyed this report to the point I want more!! And I want to play this game now too and neither wallet nor wife are going to be pleased with that!

It's an awesome game, Nirumaru. It lets you experience what it'd be like if you were suddenly made a bridge officer in Star Trek. Literally, since if that happened you'd have no clue how to do anything correctly and would end up doing more harm than good.

You're going to need at least one more person to play it but I'd recommend four. Sure, you could play with 2 but it would slow down the game and I think that would take a lot of the fun away. Also, I'd suggest not playing with your friend's husband this time.

Oh, one more thing: if you do get it, I'd suggest using a digital timer rather than the sand timer that comes with the game. Even better, use the free iOS Stronghold Games timer if you can. The alarm that rings in the final 10 seconds adds even more stress to an already hopeless situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
n107 wrote:
evilone wrote:

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC

Thank you for your encouraging words but let me say that it is you who rock. If it weren't for all the great people out there like yourself who create, publish and sell games, people like me wouldn't have the wonderful experiences that appear in the session reports.

Awww... now you just have me blushing... blush

Thanks for the great words.

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
n107 wrote:
Oh, one more thing: if you do get it, I'd suggest using a digital timer rather than the sand timer that comes with the game. Even better, use the free iOS Stronghold Games timer if you can. The alarm that rings in the final 10 seconds adds even more stress to an already hopeless situation.

Yup! I recommend *everyone* download the FREE "Stronghold Games Timer* app, from either the Apple Store for iOS or Google Store for Android...even if you don't own Space Cadets.

The app directly support Space Cadets and Article 27 currently, it will support Time 'n' Space and Space Sheep!, two of our releases coming later this year, AND it includes a "SIMPLE TIMER" function, where you can simply select any amount of time from 1 second to 99 minutes, and have it countdown for you for ANY GAME!

This is a very handy timer for all Gamers, both those who own Stronghold Games products and those who do not.

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.