15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Boardgame art rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vladimir Gavran
msg tools
mb
Suppose someone wanted to try designing a wargame. Or any other kind of board game. Now let us suppose that that person cannot draw or make anything even remotley associated to art (If we agree art isn't something you clean your toilet with. Or at least good art.) Now let's suppose that person badly needed some top-down images for the game. Where would that person have to look and what would that person need to do?cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That person should design the game and not worry about the art until the gameplay has been nailed down. If the game never works then artwork doesn't matter. And if the game is great, you'll be able to pitch it to a publisher who will provide their own artwork probably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Gavran
msg tools
mb
Thunkd wrote:
That person should design the game and not worry about the art until the gameplay has been nailed down. If the game never works then artwork doesn't matter. And if the game is great, you'll be able to pitch it to a publisher who will provide their own artwork probably.

That person thought of a free P&P.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My solution is having a really artistic girlfriend, who agreed to try playtesting a game with me that I wanted to make, and had drawn art on half the cards and tokens by the time we finished without me even asking her to do it ;D Win

Hum, well is that person trying to find someone that would be super-interested and do it free/crazy cheap, or are they thinking of commissioning someone, i.e. paying them?

Edit: Fixed for you, wouldn't want you to think I meant you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Gavran
msg tools
mb
Smoothsmith wrote:
My solution is having a really artistic girlfriend, who agreed to try playtesting a game with me that I wanted to make, and had drawn art on half the cards and tokens by the time we finished without me even asking her to do it ;D Win

Hum, well are you trying to find someone that would be super-interested and do it free/crazy cheap, or are you thinking of commissioning someone, i.e. paying them?

Me??? Who ever mentioned me? I was talking about some person. Anyway, that person has no money, no photoshop skills, no girlfrend and no drawing skills. Well, that person will try to draw something himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so free

I think one of the only ways the person in question might pull that off, is to get the game in a near complete rule-state, so that it's fun with text only and no pictures. Then try taking it to gaming societies, or posting for print+play here/on the web in general, if said person gets lucky maybe someone will offer some basic sketches =)

I'd love to hear more about the game mr. anonymous is making btw, if they ever want to share more get them to PM me or post here as I'm subscribed =P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Gavran
msg tools
mb
Smoothsmith wrote:
Ok so free

I think one of the only ways the person in question might pull that off, is to get the game in a near complete rule-state, so that it's fun with text only and no pictures. Then try taking it to gaming societies, or posting for print+play here/on the web in general, if said person gets lucky maybe someone will offer some basic sketches =)

I'd love to hear more about the game mr. anonymous is making btw, if they ever want to share more get them to PM me or post here as I'm subscribed =P

You are on the person's to notify list. Remember when you asked me about a girlfriend? I can't find one because i dance like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CHP2g3exI0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Gavran
msg tools
mb
Oh, yes the person needs some good (graphic) quality top down ww2 images (tanks, infantry...). Could anyone supply him with that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flabbergasted Rhino
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
badge
Get Schwifty
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really want art for a prototype I suggest grabbing some creative commons images. Lotta free license WWII stuff out there to get you through the testing stage. Contract an actual artist for exactly what you want when you are seeking production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Roberts
msg tools
mbmbmb
If you are just making a prototype for a game, find a rough picture of what you want (copyrighted or otherwise) and do a freehand line drawing of it. Just lines are needed, no shading or anything.

I draw all my people as stickmen. The point is to have a usable game component, not to have a finished product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Gavran
msg tools
mb
The person thinks of using resources from juniorgeneral, but modified. Would that be OK?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Gavran
msg tools
mb
Butsudoka wrote:

That person finds this very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
Radar4077 wrote:
Butsudoka wrote:

That person finds this very helpful.

That person is welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Airborne XO
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask nicely on Deviantart :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.