Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Pie Factory Designer
badge
Co-founder of Nevermore Games. Follow me on Twitter @bryanfischer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure you've seen them. Even reputable publishers have done it. Custom Bicycle playing cards on Kickstarter. Maybe I'm just not the target. While I play Poker and Spades occasionally, I just don't get into having Cthulhu or Steampunk playing cards. Aren't there enough themed poker cards in the world already? Coca-cola has been theming Bicycle cards for decades, as have Universities and corporations (primarily for marketing purposes). I guess they have their place.

It's not that I don't understand why people like cool looking Poker cards. I get that. I just don't understand why games publishes are producing custom Bicycle decks. It's essentially swag, or an accessory. You're not going to play one of that publisher's games with those cards. I suppose it could be all about the money. This is one of the few reasons that I think actually makes sense. Another product on the market means more money coming in, especially when crowdfunding has taken care of the initial investment. The Bicycle decks seems to always get funded. I'm not so sure it makes sense from the Marketing perspective unless a publisher is heavily branding the cards (not ideal for buyers).

It's possible that I'm just not seeing it. To me, it just feels like more junk out there. Maybe I'm crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you are crazy. I don't get it myself. Easy money I suppose. Hire an artist, invest no time in playtesting etc. Go to the US Playing Card Co and say "Here is my money, can you print this?".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trace
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajMalfunction10 wrote:
I don't think you are crazy. I don't get it myself. Easy money I suppose. Hire an artist, invest no time in playtesting etc. Go to the US Playing Card Co and say "Here is my money, can you print this?".

OH wow I was so embarrassed that I was not in the 'know'....whistle

lol is it for collectors? do they use them or stay shrink wrapped?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flabbergasted Rhino
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
badge
Get Schwifty
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am astounding by the volume of these things being Kickstarted. I myself have regularly wondered "Who the fuck is buying all these?". Anyone interested enough in scrolling endlessly through the funded projects to see just how many have made it? It seems like thousands but is more likely under a hundred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Fischer
United States
Chester
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Pie Factory Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flabbergasted wrote:
I too am astounding by the volume of these things being Kickstarted. I myself have regularly wondered "Who the fuck is buying all these?". Anyone interested enough in scrolling endlessly through the funded projects to see just how many have made it? It seems like thousands but is more likely under a hundred.

A quick Google search reveals 17. That's not anywhere near 100, but it still a lot. At least 4 of those have something to do with Cthulhu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many kickstarter projects seem to try to re-invent the wheel. I mean, how many "minimalist" wallets, bottle openers, and pens do we really need?

But then again, people buy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
I backed a set of custom cards. I liked the artwork, and it wasn't that much. I'm planning on using them as a raffle item next year for our FLL team when we go to our Expo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet-Gen. Mattis
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryan Fischer wrote:
I just don't understand why games publishes are producing custom Bicycle decks.

I've supported a custom Bicycle card KS and it wasn't from a games publisher, it was from an artist. The art (see here: http://www.kingswildproject.com/images/Fed52/4CardSpread.jpg) is what grabbed me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Culp Smash
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was one set that looked really cool to me, and I thought about buying them so that when I do play classic games, the cards would be something different... conversation starters, you know?

But then I thought, "Seriously... should I pay up-words of $25 bucks for a prettier version of something I have lying around everywhere?! Nope, $20 is better spent on expanding a game I already love or buying a new thing to enjoy. I have never said... oooooooh, I LOVE EUCHRE so much I must expand my game with a nintendo/cthulu/vampire deck for $40." So instead, I filled out an order for Amazon free shipping with a $3 deck of Tragic Royalty Bicycle cards. Tah-dah! Same effect, saved my wallet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Fischer
United States
Chester
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Pie Factory Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Incredible Culp wrote:
There was one set that looked really cool to me, and I thought about buying them so that when I do play classic games, the cards would be something different... conversation starters, you know?

But then I thought, "Seriously... should I pay up-words of $25 bucks for a prettier version of something I have lying around everywhere?! Nope, $20 is better spent on expanding a game I already love or buying a new thing to enjoy. I have never said... oooooooh, I LOVE EUCHRE so much I must expand my game with a nintendo/cthulu/vampire deck for $40." So instead, I filled out an order for Amazon free shipping with a $3 deck of Tragic Royalty Bicycle cards. Tah-dah! Same effect, saved my wallet.

Exactly. Well played, good sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Lathrop
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mb
www.tmcards.com is a good option if you wish to get your custom playing cards printed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something that has been plaguing me on a related note: what is the significance of "Bicycle?" Is it a company? A brand? The card printing company? A style of card? I had always thought it was a company but these Kickstarters are put up by all different companies. Are they licensing a Bicycle brand or something? And if so, why? I could probably Google it, but then Bing would be sad and I don't like hurting feelings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bicycle is a brand of cards made by the US Playing Card Company. They make several other brands, like Bee and Aviator.

I don't have a problem with all the custom Bicycle decks. There are several RPGs and LARPs that use playing cards and I like using decks that match the theme.

So what does it matter if there are 100s of themed custom decks. No one is forcing you to buy them.

If you aren't interested in custom themed decks, Standard Bicycle decks are readily available for a couple of bucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.