Subject: Who else is excited for the rules but not the miniatures? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have long been searching for solitaire or co-op miniature games to play. I tried creating my own version of Warhammer Quest. I created my own tiles and tried doing my own cards. There are plenty of pdf scans of all the materials, so that wasn't really an issue. I just wanted things to look authentic because there was no way I could shell out the kind of cash they ask for on ebay for a real copy. The rules were fun, but very simple. I kind of gave up on that genre thinking there is no way a game could simulate a real challenge for the players. Then I found Myth.

I've watched all the videos of Myth gameplay, and I am really impressed! Here's what I like:

Activating the Darkness: I like the idea of the Darkness responding to the heroes' actions. They can tiptoe around them without them attacking as much, or run full force using powerful abilities but be possibly overwhelmed by swarming hordes. I think it's great that the Darkness acts out of turn of the hero cycle, which I think helps the co-op element as well.

Artificial AI: I only saw a bit of this in the videos, and I guess it will be explained later in the rules. I love the idea that each minion has specific tactics that it will use. For example some monsters are intelligent and will make room for its buddies when attacking while others will just move forward to block hallways. Some will attack heroes with high threat, others with low threat. I love the threat mechanics too, which makes sure the heroes don't get too carried away.

Loot: I'm not sure how it will be in the final game, but this is how it looked to me. You have a bag with different amounts of colored tokens. I think the ratio of colors in the bag will depend on the quests you have. If you have tougher quests, then the possibility of colors representing more powerful loot will be there. I think this definitely helps scaling a lot more. Back in Warhammer Quest where you had just one deck of treasures, you could easily get a super powerful weapon and just be OP. I think loot progression will be a part of the game, and it harkens back to many old school RPGs where you have to keep upgrading your loot.

Those are the things I love about the gameplay mechanics. The miniatures (that they have) look fine, but I'm not too excited. I prefer larger, more colorful and expressive miniatures. Warhammer is a good example with their larger heroic scale, but I also love Super Dungeon Explore's chibi heroes.

The initial reason I wanted in on the kickstarter is to get all the models and rules I need to adapt the game to Super Dungeon Explore. It's already pretty similar, having gridded rooms, spawning points, and tons of monsters. Of course I'll still try playing the game with all the original minis to get a feel for it, but conversion is still on my mind. Anyone else feel this way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Foerster
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Excited would not describe my feelings toward the miniatures but I do like them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
I definitely decided to back the game because of the rules. The miniatures aren't bad by any means...some of what we've seen so far are quite cool looking. However, you can get cool-looking miniatures from TONS of companies already. The rules for this game were the unique element that got my attention.

I'm also not too concerned about the value per mini. It was a nice addition, but I certainly didn't back this because I could get 20+ spiders or 20+ orcs at a cheap rate. If they didn't show videos of the game being played, giving us a sense of the rules, then I assume not nearly as many people would have backed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm more excited about the heroes and the way they work than absolutely anything else, if that counts as rules!

The mini's didn't have me excited earlier in the campaign, but as it's gone on, and with a little side project (Tower defense card/board game I'm making, which I tested the first time the other day and my girlfriend really enjoyed, even doing me lots of art for the prototype cards) that I'm working on, they just looked more attractive. The potential for using them in custom game-modes or for testing custom games is awesome!

EDIT: In summary, I got the game because the rules sounded fun and not because of miniatures (Although extra enemy types = more of both so they're somewhat hand in hand!), but they're looking to be a more helpful addition than I anticipated.

Also - You can probably tell who went in for the rules & who went in for the mini's based on if they went captain or apprentice+
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are the main reason I got this and I play both Warhammer Quest and Super Dungeon Explore pretty regularly. The miniatures are decent but not top of the range but I am still looking forward to painting them as I like to use the 'correct' miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The arachnids look pretty simple and may just be early sculpts. The photos weve gotten of the orc are much more detailed and have raised my hopes for the overall minis.

Contrary to what many believe about minis kickstarters it was the rules and character depth that got me into this.

I already have close to 10000 minis, truth, and really didnt need more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it amusing that we have a thread of people excited about the rules and yet there's another full of people complaining about a LACK of rules. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pecorelli
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The miniatures are great, imo, but yes, the gameplay is what hooked me. From watching the gameplay videos Myth hits that sweet spot between games like Ravenloft/Drizzt and Descent for me.

I like how not everything is based on killing mobs. Trap rooms are a great addition that puts me back into D&D. I was kind of disappointed they sped through the trap hallway. I also like how the mobs spawn to what seem like overwhelming numbers, but the heroes have the ability to slice through them with a lot of different and appropriate abilities.

I guess that's been my quest this whole time is to find a game that makes me feel like I'm playing an epic session of D&D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
The arachnids look pretty simple and may just be early sculpts. The photos weve gotten of the orc are much more detailed and have raised my hopes for the overall minis.

Contrary to what many believe about minis kickstarters it was the rules and character depth that got me into this.

I already have close to 10000 minis, truth, and really didnt need more.

Yes about the arachnids, I would appreciate if the ranged "spitters" were much more different from the melee ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
I find it amusing that we have a thread of people excited about the rules and yet there's another full of people complaining about a LACK of rules. laugh

I think there's a lot of people that simply don't like watching video after video to gleam how a board game works. The preferable thing to have is a proper rulebook posted up ^^ I haven't watched all the videos as I've just been too busy, I could easily have found time to read some stuff occasionally though!

Still, got all the information I needed from just 1 or 2 videos, didn't need to see all of them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Smoothsmith wrote:

I think there's a lot of people that simply don't like watching video after video to gleam how a board game works.

Yea. I'm one of those guys. Didn't watch a single video. Yawn. But I wouldn't have read the rules either, had they been posted.

I'm excited for the game, for sure, but if it was cardboard counters, I never would have given this a second look. I reckon I'm one of those superficial KS addicts that are driving the projects with cool minis that seem to just explode. None of the minis-less boardgames seem to be able to compete - Even Ogre has 3D counters....!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
jfoerst wrote:
Excited would not describe my feelings toward the miniatures but I do like them.

This.

I like what I've seen of the minis for this game. They have a unique "feel" that sets them apart from the many, many other fantasy board games I have in my collection, and that's definitely a good thing.

However, miniatures alone do not a board game make. No matter how awesome the minis might be, my focus will still be on the game's mechanics when I'm deciding whether or not to put cash down.

Myth's mechanics look pretty darn cool from what I've seen so far. For my part, I'm considering converting OTHER games to use the Myth mechanics. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Turner
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hatchhermit wrote:
I guess that's been my quest this whole time is to find a game that makes me feel like I'm playing an epic session of D&D.

This is exactly why I backed. I wanted a game where I could play D&D without having to be the DM (or rely on getting together enough enthused people). The autonomous Darkness is rather exciting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Barnes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The miniatures are cool and all, and I think the value of the game is great. But I definitely agree with the OP's topic, the rules and gameplay overall are really what is going to make or break it for me. I can't wait to see them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hancock-Parmer
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
History Professor; Interested in Co-op Dungeon Crawler Design
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking for myself with the possibility of voicing an opinion shared by others, I first became interested in the game as a co-op minis fighting game but only funded the Kickstarter at the $100-level once the amount of miniatures included passed the 100 mark.

The rules are the most exciting element for myself and my wife. We enjoy playing Descent and similar dungeon crawlers, but the game is too adversarial for the two of us to play alone. Our issue is that we take the game too seriously and can hurt each others feelings by the simplest way -- getting good dice results.

This game offers a solution in that we will be cooperating. I certainly could also see myself posting some extra material here on the Geek to work in my DnD tiles and minis as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone's interested in trading away their miniatures (and keeping the cards, tiles, dice, and other components), see my trade list and drop me a line!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viper .
msg tools
eternaldream wrote:

Those are the things I love about the gameplay mechanics. The miniatures (that they have) look fine, but I'm not too excited. I prefer larger, more colorful and expressive miniatures. Warhammer is a good example with their larger heroic scale, but I also love Super Dungeon Explore's chibi heroes.

I know this is an old thread. But what on earth is this person talking about?

Myth has larger miniatures than Warhammer, and Myth miniatures are arguably more dynamically posed as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.