Popular Tags: [View All]
Luigi C.
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my attempt to interpret the rules of Australia, based on a careful reading of the rules in French, Italian, English, and German. Feel free to add your input if you disagree with some of these interpretations. Needless to say, some may still prefer to use their own version of the rules regardless. I have prefaced every answer with (Rules) or (Interpretation) depending on whether it's a simple reading of the rules or whether it requires some deductive steps (I feel most confident about the first ones).

1)(Rules) In the Basic game there are 4 stacks of 8 cards FACE DOWN (colors not showing). The English translation is the only translation that says otherwise. In the Advanced game there are 4 stacks of 9 cards (and yes, they are still FACE DOWN).

2)(Rules) You can get the +3 scoring bonus ONLY during YOUR TURN. In other words, if it's someone else's turn, he/she misses an opportunity to score, and you remind them of the missed opportunity, they will be the ones to get the +3 Bonus. If you want to be the one to get the Bonus you must wait until your turn and hope that the opportunity is still available.

3)(Interpretation) Given that you can only get the Bonus during your turn, this suggests that you cannot force another player to score during their turn if he/she does not want to. You can show them the opportunity, but must wait for your turn to seize the opportunity if it's still there.

4)(Rules) Once the plane is on the map, you can use one of your actions to fly it to any other region on the map. You don't have to fly the plane every turn, if you do so you will use an action. The plane is the conduit between your supply of rangers outside of the map and the map. Think of it as a way to fly rangers in or out of the continent.

5)(Interpretation) You can use four dollars to gain the opportunity to move a ranger from one camp/boat on the map to another camp/boat on the map, anywhere on the map (the plane does not matter) as long as the new camp/boat is empty or already occupied by your rangers. Think of it as paying for a bus or train ticket within Australia. This move could result in a scoring opportunity regardless of the location of your plane, etc...

6)(Edited, See Discussion Below)

7)(Interpretation) You can have multiple opportunities to score during your turn, since you can score before and after the “pay and move” event. The only caveat again is that the scoring must occur during YOUR turn. Once you score, the project is removed from the board, which helps to keep track of the events and to show that indeed there were multiple scoring opportunities (e.g., you score an Industrialization Project because you have the exact amount of rangers around the region, take the project off the board, then pay to move another ranger in the last space around the region and score the Conservation Project – two moves during your turn, two separate opportunities to score).

I welcome additional questions or comment. Enjoy this splendid game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good to me. I'd say 5 and 7 are (Rules) though. I don't know how those could be misinterpreted.

Since the only rules I've read are the English ones, I always play with the draw stacks face up. Even if that's wrong, I'll probably still play that way. It adds some nice decision making to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A scholarly attempt to read and interpret Australia's Ru
1) there does appear to be a typo re: #cards/stack in the english rules - glad you straightened it out. I am curious, though, about the face up/down issue: we played face-down, but when I reread the rules (english) it says face up ... is the english translation the only one that says face up, or the only one with the confusion about #cards per stack?

6) I didn't notice the emphasis on only once/turn in the rules; if it doesn't SAY once/turn, I'd be inclined to call once/turn a variant.

The rest of your points are (I think) pretty clear in the rules. I'd disagree slightly with 7, though: if you notice someone else forgot to score something, you would have more than just 2 separate opportunities to score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi C.
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The English rules are the only ones that say 9 cards for the Basic AND Face Up -- Amazing but true!

About the once per turn -- There is nothing in the rules that unequivocally says once per turn. There is however a strong emphasis on ONE ranger. Of course this could be interpreted to mean that 4 golds buy you only one ranger, but reading it carefully it says that you can use gold to move one ranger, which can be interpreted as only one ranger per turn. Personally I feel that this is the one rule most open to interpretation, hence to a democratic decision before the game.

I agree with your point about (7) -- I was just giving a simple example. It was to show how scoring is not an "all at once" phenomenon, but more of a series of scoring events triggered by opportunities during your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
The "use gold" once per turn question popped up in another thread (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/37122) where someone reported that the designer's view was that you could perform these "paid" actions any number of times per turn (limited only by your money).

For me the biggest question will always be ... how come they're using Australian dollars in a game about 1920s Australia ? Dollars didn't replace Pounds until 1966! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_dollar)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi C.
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because Kangaroos look better than the Queen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Favre4MVP wrote:
Looks good to me. I'd say 5 and 7 are (Rules) though. I don't know how those could be misinterpreted.

Since the only rules I've read are the English ones, I always play with the draw stacks face up. Even if that's wrong, I'll probably still play that way. It adds some nice decision making to the game.

I disagree completely.
If the cards were meant to be face up , they'd have the same print on boths sides.
face up makes for total AP as all can see what you can do.(like Tikal)
Face down means a player can't tell someone what to do.
Now you can have a hidden strategy, but some control over the # of rangers you can deploy.
(Do I fly to red or pay to change to yellow ?)
Great game.

I agree with ONE 4 point action a turn.
Otherwise these agree with how we play.
I guess the cards are removed so you can't count them.
(hmm all 3blue 4 cards have been played...)
I use that as a timer. Pull more out to shorten the game.
No big deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi C.
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing out the thread on BGG and Spielbox -- I did some reading on the Spielbox forums, and it seems that while the author supports the "unlimited rangers per turn as long as you have gold" interpretation, Ravensburger clearly supports the "only one ranger per turn" interpretation.

(I have therefore removed my interpretation from above, since both options are technically correct)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Windmill: What happens after it is scored?
I've only played the "Full Game" twice, and we've played the game with the Windmill being set back to 2 after each scoring of the Windmill.

I don't think the rules support this nor do I think it makes any sense in practice. The wheel would rarely make much progress past the lower numbers unless it was allowed to advance after each scoring. Afterall, as the game evolves, scoring, that is the frequency of the completion of projects both Conservation and Industrial, increases at a much higher rate than the appearance of Industrial Tiles with windmill symbols.

The wheel should keep advancing to 12. But what if it reaches 12? Should it stay there or then start over?

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thompson
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"The wheel should keep advancing to 12. But what if it reaches 12? Should it stay there or then start over?"

In response to that question, technically the wheel can never get past twelve because it only goes up in value if an 6 or 7 Industrialization tile is turned up by an airplane landing in the region with such a tile. There are only ten of these tiles and so the wheel can never get above 12. The wheel should never get back to 2. It always goes up and never decreases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.