Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Slotten
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on turn 2 of a solo game. France and England are at war so can England invade Edinburgh in order to capture the key from France? I'm a little confused because I keep thinking that since the key is in Scotland, I have to declare war with Scotland. But Scotland is listed as "Possible Ally" on the status chart. So am I really attacking Scotland, or France? Thanks for any insight on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skslotten wrote:
France and England are at war so can England invade Edinburgh in order to capture the key from France?

Yes.
Quote:
I'm a little confused because I keep thinking that since the key is in Scotland, I have to declare war with Scotland. But Scotland is listed as "Possible Ally" on the status chart. So am I really attacking Scotland, or France?

You are attacking France. When Scotland is activated as a minor power ally of France, it's not possible to declare war on Scotland (see the 2nd bullet point of Restrictions at All Times, lefthand column of page 14). And as you pointed out, Scotland is a "Possible Ally" of England, meaning it's never possible for England to declare war on them (1st bullet point).

In essence there is no Scotland while they are activated as someone's ally. The major power controls their affairs fully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
skslotten wrote:
I'm on turn 2 of a solo game. France and England are at war so can England invade Edinburgh in order to capture the key from France? I'm a little confused because I keep thinking that since the key is in Scotland, I have to declare war with Scotland. But Scotland is listed as "Possible Ally" on the status chart. So am I really attacking Scotland, or France? Thanks for any insight on this.

Scotland begins the game as an ally of France, which means that its diplomacy is controlled by France. Scotland will always be allied to either England, France, or the Protestants.

If France and England remain at war, England can attack Scotland if it is a French ally. The risk is, if the Protestants take over diplomatically, or Scottish Lords rebel occurs and England loses... then the English player risks losing all of its military gains.

Edit: ninja 'ed by Joel! Not only that, he did a better job answering your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Slotten
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes sense. Thanks Joel and Steven!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.