Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Frank
United States
Brooklyn
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deciding to take a mulligan is a tricky thing. You're guaranteed to be stuck with whatever you draw, so what if it's the fabled "4 agendas and no ice" discussed downthread? For the runner, what if you end up with three Femmes Fatale (yes, I'm being pretentious with that plural, so sue me), a Toolbox, and a Net Shield? (Besides that you should probably fix your deck.)

What are the priorities for what you want in your opening hand?

Runner

The Runner has what I see as four basic categories: Economy, Breakers, Stack Control, and Tricks.

Economy is obvious--cards that get you money as a major purpose. Magnum Opus, Underworld Contact, Liberated Accounts, Armitage Codebusting...you know what I mean.
Breakers are likewise obvious. If you're running Noise Anarch, you can probably include virus cards here too.
Stack Control lets you either go through your stack faster, or search it for cards. Special Order, Test Run, Diesel, Wyldside, the upcoming Mr. Li, are all Stack Control. (Rabbit Hole counts here as well, actually.)
Tricks are everything else--Notoriety, All-Nighter, Inside Job, Sneakdoor Beta, Deja Vu, Ice Carver...critical cards, but less strategies in and of themselves, more plans that boost existing strategies.

In order of priority, for me:

- Economy. If I don't have something that can get me economy (for my Kate Big Rig, that's either Magnum Opus or Underworld Contact with a link boost), that's almost guaranteed to be a mulligan, unless I have...
- Stack Control. Test Running a Magnum Opus is suboptimal but if I have a strong hand all around, I might be able to live with it. Diesel is a dangerous proposition here, but it has paid off for me often enough. Advantage of a minimal-sized deck...
- Really, I suppose that's about it. I mean, yes, I'd rather follow that up with Breakers (not counting Femmes, because that's what Test Run is for) over Tricks, but really, Economy or Stack Control or GTFO.

Corp

The Corp has similar categories:

Economy. PAD Campaign, Melange, Hedge Fund...
Defense. Mostly ice, but also cards like Ash, Wielder of the Boomstick and defensive upgrades like Jinteki's bag of tricks.
Agendas. Unless you're playing tag-n-bag, and really, even then, you need these to win the game. But so does the runner, after all...
Tricks. I don't have Stack Control listed because while the Corp does have some (Anonymous Tip, Project Atlas, Aggressive Negotiations), it's less prevalent, as the Corp has a mandatory draw every turn. So those cards fall into the Tricks category, along with tags, Snares, sysadmins, and so on.

My priority for Corp hands:

- Defense, preferably ice. If you don't have at least one piece of ice in your hand, preferrably two, it had better be the otherwise perfect hand. (My favorite opening ice is Tollbooth, but that's expensive. Wall of Static is a pretty good second.)
- Economy. Hedge Fund or Beanstalk Royalties let you threaten that the ice you just put on HQ and R&D is bigger stuff; and a naked remote could be a PAD Campaign or Melange (if it's an iced remote, you could be saying say "go ahead, run HQ, there's nothing there").
- Again, really, that's about it. I'd rather not have one of Winners or Tricks over another--I'd rather have some of each, especially a cheap Agenda (Breaking News is my favorite) that I can afford to get stolen without ruining me, and that I can use to good effect, along with the Tricks (Psychographics, Closed Accounts, and so on) to make it happen.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Almeida
msg tools
mbmb
As a runner, I mulligan if I don't have at least 2 economy card. As a corp, I try to have at least 2 pieces of ice. I usually draw a lot in the first turns, so my mulligan criterias are not really sofisticated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing Noise, I mulligan if I don't have Wyldside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Austin Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
When playing Noise, I mulligan if I don't have Wyldside.

I'll keep a hand that has Workshop + juicyness but otherwise, yeah, I'll try to mull into the Wyldside if I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Teiler
Germany
flag msg tools
With my Chaos deck, I either want to have a Magnum Opus or a Personal Workshop with something to install on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
She wore! She wore! She wore a yellow ribbon! She wore a yellow ribbon in the merry month of May, And when I asked her why she wore that ribbon,
badge
She said, "It's for the Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!" Wembley! Wembley! We’re the famous Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!
mbmbmbmbmb
As corp, I don't just want ice, I want ice that I can afford (depending on economy cards) to rez on runner turn 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Aurelius
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One important thing to consider is, when you are playing the runner especially, whether your opponent took a mulligan. This could even affect your decision to mulligan, but also your opening.

If the corp didn't mulligan his hand is at least decent, and likely not stacked with agendas, and probably has at least 1 ice he can rez to defend one of the central servers. In this case you definitely want the hand with your cardinal development cards like Wyldside/Magnum Opus.

If he did mulligan his hand can be anything, even 5 agendas, so perhaps you can keep your "faster" more punishing hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really mulligan. May as well practice the hands. Suppose you mulligan into it the worst?

Tournament settings; really tricky. It'd have to be really awful.

As Criminal, I run aggressive Gabe and tried a few games just for fun to mulligan if I didn't get a Sneakdoor Beta.

As Corps, I did mulligan in a tournament with 3 agendas and no ICE. I could have played it. I figured I would draw into ICE but I decided that if I was going to lose - then there is nothing to stop fate, may as well give myself a chance. And so I took a mulligan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Kate: Magnum Opus or Test Run, otherwise we mulligan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched a video recently where there was talk of when to mulligan on either side. Check it out if interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIY37KZJluU&list=UUVISFgM7zto...

(These guys also did a great tutorial video on how to play A:NR that I watched when I first got the game. Did a way better job than just reading the rulebook)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.