Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
KTG17
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know GW isnt the most popular gaming company around here anymore, but I've played more games from them than I have anyone, and one of them was Warhammer 40k, even though it isnt my favorite game from them (Epic, Man O War, and Warhammer Quest rank higher to me).

There have been six editions of 40k, and I started playing when it was Rogue Trader, and quickly got irritated with the rules all over the place in multiple books, White Dwarf articles, and so on. But when 40k 2nd edition came out, I was really excited. Finally could play with game with everything I need in one box. My friends and I played this version for some time until I moved, and while we had some issues with the rules, we still clocked a lot of time in it, and never felt like the game was too hero based since we typically played with a lot of squads anyway. But I lived the mission cards, strategy cards, etc. You really felt liek you got a lot in that box set. And the army lists were great to start out with.

I got out of gaming for awhile, but then tried out 40k 3rd edition with a new set of friends. I considered myself old school at the time (lol), but grew to like the new minis. The rules themselves though, I dont want to call them bland, but I could see what GW was doing to try and make the game quicker, as our old 2nd edition games could take 4-5 hours to play. But we lost interest in the game.

I bought 4th edition when it came out, and like the premise of the box set with the scenerios but aside from the terrain, felt the Space Marine and Tyranids were lame, and even after buying the supplement "The Battle Rages On" I lost interest. That was the last 40k game I bought. And I really don't know what has changed, if there was any reason to.

I have to give props to GW, their new models (figure and vehicle) are just stunning. I still look at their site from time to time. I am embarrassed that I used to play with the old Rhino and Land Raiders, compared to what is available now. But I see that GW is a miniature company now, and seems to try and sell the big game, suggesting more is better, and with the prices of models (some running nearly $40 for a plastic squad of 10), it seems you'll have to spend hundreds to field a respectable army, and to make the game faster, I assume these models dont last very long in the game.

So I can't properly judge the new versions. I wonder how after so many versions a company can't get a stable ruleset. Maybe rebooting every so often helps the hobby I dont know. But while going thru my old games I spent some time on my 40k 2nd edition stuff, and for all its flaws, and given the price of miniatures these days, the characer based/skirmish level battles seems like a nice thing. Granted I know the mechanics hinder it, but how much shorter can a game be that emphasizes many more, and more costly, miniatures?

Anyway, so I guess I have to admit I like 2nd edition best, but was wondering what everyone's favorite verions is, and why. If you want to slam a version do that too as I am curious which most people don't like (I think it might be 3rd).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bowers
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a fondness for Rogue Trader and second edition. I left after the third and haven't gone back. Though I still have a my old space marine army sitting around I am not sure it is even usable with all the rule changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a litle Rouge Trader, but really got going in 2nd edition. 3rd edition was an overcorrect in the opposite direction of 2nd edition - too much streamlining. 4th edition was a better middleground in my opinion, and struck a nice balance between character + detail and keeping the gameplay more streamlined.

I stopped playing then, and have only looked at the 5th edition + 6th edition rules briefly, so I can't really comment in depth. My understanding is that 5th edition was a current refinement of the 3rd/4th line. 6th edition was a more significant departure - adding back in some of the flavor and detail found in 2nd edition (charging vs. running, overwatch, etc.).

http://chronowraith.blogspot.com/2012/07/warhammer-40000-6th...

If I had to start playing again, I'm guessing 6th edition would be worth picking up.

Another good summary of 6th edition changes:
http://www.thehogsofwar.com/2012/06/warhammer-40k-6th-editio...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played 2nd edition back in the day, and stopped playing (together with quite some friends) when 3rd edition came out - some of them continued to play 2nd edition, many just stopped altogether. Interesting to read that they tried to undo some of the carnage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
robot 2nd (I assume you are referring to 2nd as the version w/Wargear Cards, cardboard cards for Psionics) etc. There was actually an interim set which was basically Rogue Trader plus Compendium and the short-lived Vehicles book (with the clear targeting templates).
To answer your question regarding why no stable rules set--simple--because GW doesn't want a stable rulesset! It is far more profitable to force players to buy a new series of books and new models to get "in line" with the new system. And GW is all about the profit--that's why I ditched pretty much all my 40K stuff. robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5th edition was my favorite.

I have been playing since 3rd ed. The current ruleset is 6th ed, and while I do agree it is the closest to 2nd ed than ever, and is a "wide open" ruleset (ie you can use allies, and many Forge World stuff are tourney approved) 5th ed was more streamlined for me.

In essence, once Re entered boardgaming last year I have not been inspired to play GW stuff, and look at the time and logistics efforts to play 40k or WHFB to be hindrances as compared to the ease of playing boardgames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve DeBaun
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Mezmorki wrote:
I played a litle Rouge Trader...

Ah! Rouge Trader! Space Marines with fantastic makeup!

But seriously, folks...

I love the WH40k universe: the mythos, the art, it's great. But I rarely have the time to take a full day to play a game. If you're looking for another option to use your WH40k minis...

That was part of my inspiration behind Ars Victor: I wanted to make a game that I could play with my hundreds of dollars worth of dolls.

Ars Victor is a standalone game with mounted pieces. But we've created a special edition, that we lovingly call the "Doublewide": big, 3" hexes that can fit an entire squad of Terminators.

I'm sort of a garage-sale-style purchaser of minis. "Oooh, twenty Imperial Guardsmen for $5? I'll take that!" And, "ooh, a bunch of random Mage Knight pieces for a quarter apiece?? SOLD!"

In this pic, my horribly-painted Terminators are being used for Assault Infantry. My guardsmen (Redshirts. Get it?!?!) are used for Conscripts. The bikers in the back are the Cavalry. You can see what the actual pieces are here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played 2nd edition when I was in college, but when 3rd edition came out my 3000 point Tyranid Army was unplayable (I played a shooty oriented army with lots of Tyranid Warriors, and few light grunts, 3rd ed required lots of grunts and made the bugs poor shots.) I actually could barely make a legal army because I didn't have the troops.

I did try the 3rd edition rules, but they weren't fun anymore. My army wasn't able to do anything but charge in melee, and it wasn't tactical anymore.

In the end, I mostly focused on using my troops in other games. I converted some of them to Necromunda for small unit actions.

I admit my favorite sets of GW rules remain...

3. Blood Bowl 3rd edition and on, the newer edition are refinements of 3rd.
2. Space Hulk
1. Epic 40,000, 3rd Edition. That's the one between Space Marine and Armageddon. It was the WORST selling rules they ever had, but it's balanced, fast, easy, and very versatile. I own over 20,000 points of troops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.