Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: A "Blast" Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Matyus
Hungary
flag msg tools
Hi,

There's a question in our group regarding the Blast ability. Firstly if the attack is naturally a blast (like the runemaster's class skill, which gives an attack action with blast without surges) can you target an empty space which is, in best case scenario, sorrounded by monsters (if you obviously have line of sight that space), or you can only target spaces containing figures? The second part is with weapons that only has the ability to blast if you use surge on it. Can you target empty space with the above mentioned weapon (like fire flask from search cards) and you "suck up defeat" if you roll no surges (your attack is a miss basically as no monsters were present in target space) or you simply can't target empty spaces? (In the rulebook we haven't find concrete answer to this, on Blast the only thing mentioned is that it affects every figure in and around target space)

Thanks for the answer in advance, hope I am not stupid and this is a valid question (it certainly is in our group).

(+ silly question, as in a "real world" scenario this could happen (i mean if i would be a great runemaster my blast attacks wouldn't just vanish in thin air): if you don't roll enough range on a blast attack can you measure up to the rolled range and still make the damage in and around that space?)

Best regards, David.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot target empty spaces in 2nd Edition...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules p. 9 wrote:
1. Declare Weapon and Target: The attacking player chooses which of his equipped weapons to use for this attack and declares the target of the attack (a space containing an enemy figure). The player then compiles his attack dice into a pool.
(my emphasis)

p. 12 wrote:
If the total range obtained from
the attack roll does not equal or exceed the distance between the spaces,
the attack is considered a miss unless the range can be increased (see “4.
Spend Surges” on page 13).

There is nothing in the rules that suggests that a blast effect goes off if you do not reach the required range. Instead the attack is a miss and has no effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Shovah42 wrote:
(+ silly question, as in a "real world" scenario this could happen (i mean if i would be a great runemaster my blast attacks wouldn't just vanish in thin air): if you don't roll enough range on a blast attack can you measure up to the rolled range and still make the damage in and around that space?)

For this, I think of rolling more abstractly. If a Wildlander fires an arrow at a target six spaces away and she rolls a 4, I don't imagine it as "she fired but she didn't draw the bow back enough so the arrow only went 4 spaces," I think of it as "she fired at a target that she only had a 1/6 chance of hitting at that range.

Short answer to your question is no, you can't measure the range after rolling and then use that to target something within that range. Well, unless you're Tetherys, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The range roll is just mechanical check for all things that could have gone wrong when you were throwing your spell. Did you miss? Did your spell got too high? Did you hit the duck that flew by? Did the berserker in your party sneeze at you, breaking your focus? It's all checked in range roll.

And maybe that's better. If you rolled 2 range or so you might hurt your whole party with your blasts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to beat a dead horse, but page 12 is even more specific:

1. DECLARE WEAPON AND TARGET
The attacking player declares which space his figure is attacking. The
target space must contain one enemy figure as the target of the attack.
When heroes attack large monsters (monster figures that occupy more
than one space), it is important for the player to declare which specific space he is targeting because of attacks with the Blast keyword.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Vjestica
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In Fat goblin our band of 4 stood up against 2 shadow dragon blocking the corridor, one behind the other leaving no spaces in between.
My runemaster had a clear shot to all spaces containing 1st dragon.
Do I have a clear shot with blast at the last space of the first dragon so my blast could affect the second dragon as well or is my LOS blocked by dragon "size"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really understand your question.

If the situation was more or less like this:

|11|
|11|
|11|
|22|
|22|
|22|
|XX|
|XH|

1: first shadow dragon
2: second shadow dragon
H: hero with blast

Then the hero can only aim at front of 2, which means he can't blast both dragons at once.

If it was more like this:

|11|
|11|
|11|
|22|__
|22XXX
|22XHX
|XX|
|XX|

Then the hero could aim at the back of 2nd dragon and also catch first dragon in the blast. To further illustrate it I'll show both scenes again, showing with * symbol which parts of dragon are in LOS

|11|
|11|
|11|
|22|
|22|
|**|
|XX|
|XH|

|11|
|11|
|11|
|2*|__
|2*XXX
|2*XHX
|XX|
|XX|

You can aim only at those spaces that are in your LOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Vjestica
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
this was the situation:

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1678577/chichiriba

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Vjestica
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I understand now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, the dragon would block sight to it's own behind by the diagram chichiriba gave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Vjestica
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chichiriba wrote:
I know...
Sorry. Seems I'm a little slow today. ^_^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Vjestica
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thanks anyway. I was just curious if I'm right about it's mechanics in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.