United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play it as often as my wife would probably like. I don't know - it's definitely a good game, but I've never just fallen in love with it. That, and given the components, it does feel a bit overpriced for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
Defenders can typically be found for around $55 to $60 which I personally feel is the appropriate price for what you get component wise. I just took a look at CoolStuffInc.com and they have it for $56 right now.

If you then factor in what you get in playability and game, it's a steal. In short it's a fantastic game with a remarkable amount of replay value. It can even be played solo.

In addition, there are numerous free expansions put together by the designer and a few expansions put together by fans as well. There's really a ton of game here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Stewart
United States
Owego
NY
flag msg tools
designer
www.drunkassgames.com
badge
!!!NERD ALERT!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight and DotR are epic games. Both are well worth the price tags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are still 5 available over at CSI for $56 as previoulsy noted.
I started a thread a few days backing letting everyone know that.
For some reason it was taken down.
They also have the 3 Hero expansions for it.
So if you wanted to go full bang you get free shipping over $100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy at CSI as well. The game is expensive, but I judge the cost in light of how much table time the game actually sees plus the fun factor. In those terms, it was money very well spent for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew DiLoreto
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wgerken wrote:
Defenders can typically be found for around $55 to $60 which I personally feel is the appropriate price for what you get component wise. I just took a look at CoolStuffInc.com and they have it for $56 right now.

If you then factor in what you get in playability and game, it's a steal. In short it's a fantastic game with a remarkable amount of replay value. It can even be played solo.

In addition, there are numerous free expansions put together by the designer and a few expansions put together by fans as well. There's really a ton of game here.

Agree completely. I went so far as to getting the Dragon expansion, all the Hero expansions, the prepainted figures, the GE cards from the BGG Market (full collection) and downloaded all the official/pnp expansions and variants.

This game is more than worth the price and IMO the best co-op/solo game on the market
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aanlaien wrote:
I don't know. What do you think?

How many players do you expect to have?

It can be a fun game, but it is designed around four players.

Fewer players can opt to control more characters or use a variant designed by the original designer.

It is a good game, but it has its fair share of issues: the map is a mess, the quest rewards range too wildly in value, and the amount of luck in it can be rather frustrating.

Replayability is ok, but it does become better if you are willing to spend more to buy more heroes. (Don't do it right away though-- just get the base game.)

What other games are you playing? What is on your wish list?

I looked at other threads you have created, and Defenders of the Realm fits in well. Mage Knight Board Game is a bit heavier than DotR, Castle Ravenloft, and some of the others. You may want to see if you can play it before you buy.

You may want to consider using the Recommendations area for questions like this:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/8/boardgamegeek/recommend...

Asking in a game's forum if you should buy a game isn't going to get you many fair responses as typically only the fans of a game subscribe. It is like going into a Ford dealership and asking if you should buy a Ford or a Chevy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
cookinjr wrote:
Asking in a game's forum if you should buy a game isn't going to get you many fair responses as typically only the fans of a game subscribe. It is like going into a Ford dealership and asking if you should buy a Ford or a Chevy.

Ha! Well said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm Gonna Wreck It!
United States
Spring Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I typically (not always) never pay retail price for a game. I got Defenders of the Realm for $40, like new, on Craigslist .

Although I'll admit it was thanks to a friend pointing it out to me.

I also got the Dragon Expansion as a gift and bought Hero Expansion #3 for $10 because the unnecessary box was damaged.

PRO TIP: when using ebay to get games you want look for "damaged" boxes and save yourself a bundle. Usually it's a small dent or the shrink wrap was slightly ripped...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Brunelle
United States
BURLINGTON
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Oh, how could I stay anything but MAD over you, Cthu-ly, woo-ly, woo-woo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Time for my shameless plug: Go ahead and buy it, then get the Dragon expansion, and then play the fan-made Before the Golden Age expansion! The last one is free!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gabrielbrunelle wrote:
and then play the fan-made Before the Golden Age expansion! The last one is free!

I must search this.... sounds intriguing .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Devine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've said this before, and I'll say it again, this game is absolutely worth the cost. This game has gotten more replays than any other game in my collection. If you look at cost vs number of hours playing, it comes out to be about $.05 an hour. And I paid retail.

Then you add in all of the free support and love this game has gotten here on the geek, it's a no-brainer at $50.

(And yes, I am a DotR fanboy. But so are all of my friends, so it works out.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Locally, DotR is priced at $94 CAD. Can't say I regret paying that much for it (In comparison Descent was $88).

The price did make me debate buying it for a few weeks, but the amount of game time i've gotten out of it has made it worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.