Popular Tags: [View All]
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own two core sets and every expansion except the six in the Dwarrowdelf saga (was about to buy them, but then discovered X-wing miniatures and spent the money there instead) and Heirs of Numenor (I still regularly get my butt kicked by the Mirkwood saga quests, so this just seems like masochism to me currently).

Prior to discovering that "Dain decks" are a thing, I had constructed a leadership/lore Dain deck that is pretty capable for solo play (my preference). However, now I am trying to construct a tactics/spirit deck so that I have a deck on hand when a second player is around because this game gets pretty lonely and disheartening when you're the only one getting ravaged by the encounter deck. Plus I want to play Dol Guldur someday, and am hesitant to play multiple hands solo (there's more than enough book-keeping for me with a single hand, and I have trouble fitting a solo run on my dining table as it is).

And I just can't figure out tactics. Now that I think of it, I've never successfully won with a tactics deck. Whenever I'm going through my cards looking for deck ideas, the tactics heroes look awesome, but leadership, lore, and spirit are so much easier to play (with their card draw, scads of allies, healing, resource acceleration, etc.).

Does anyone have some general advice for how to leverage tactics (without Dwarrowdelf, which might be tricky; every decklist I've scrounged up on the forums recently seems to have Dwarrowdelf cards not just as nice-to-haves but as key parts of the deck)? Ideally either as a splash for spirit, or with a spirit splash.

I don't need or want a decklist (I prefer building my own), but ideas for cards and heroes with good synergy or general strategies for building and playing tactics decks would be more than welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fuller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A full Tactics deck is not very useful unless you are playing two-handed, or with another player. Tactics with Spirit is certainly possible. I would throw in a few good allies(like some of the low-cost eagles), some of the weapons(Dwarrodelf, Dwarven Axe), 3 copies of Khazad Khazad, as many copies of Feint as you have. Maybe Foehammer(if that is the one that lets you draw cards after exhausting a weapon).

Tactics is a cool sphere and one of the most fun IMO. I generally play two-handed, one hand Spirit/Leadership, the other Tactics+lore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've yet to be able to build a successful Tactics deck. I wonder - would Blade of Gondolin help overcome the lack of questing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos II
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately Willpower is a key puzzle in being able to complete quests. Tactics has painfully low Willpower heroes and allies. In addition, Tactics has the fewest tools for handling locations (which compounds the problem).

Legolas and Blades of Gondolin help somewhat in regards to Questing progress but that progress comes via the combat phase. Continually questing unsuccessfully is a ticking time bomb in respect to threat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Traekos77 wrote:
Legolas and Blades of Gondolin help somewhat in regards to Questing progress but that progress comes via the combat phase. Continually questing unsuccessfully is a ticking time bomb in respect to threat.

This is the problem that I keep running up against. I was playing around with Bard and Great Yew Bow last night, trying to find a fun "snipe into the staging area" design with a splash of spirit for bouncing things back up there using A Light in the Dark and some Dwarven Tombs.

Except I couldn't figure out a way to keep the threat that would result from overwhelming me ridiculously fast. And if I'm playing spirit with a tactics splash, it seems more sensical to get an all-around killer like Gimli than using a bunch of spirit cards whose point is to integrate with the one tactics hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest way to build a strong solo deck including tactics is to add Spirit to fix the shortage of questing power in Tactics.

Use Eowyn or Frodo or (Spirit) Glorfindel with a couple of Tactics heroes. For Spirit cards, add a bunch of cheap allies with decent willpower (West Road Travellers are best), and a few key Spirit cards like test or will, galadrhim's greeting and unexpected courage. Don't put in too msny Spirit cards (up to about a third) Put in a Song of Travel or two if you use expensive Spirit cards (such as Northern Trackers).

Tactics is the best sphere for killing enemies but not so good at defending so make sure you put some decent defensive cards in the deck (allies with high defence, feint etc). If you like eagles, put in 3 Vassal of the WIndlord, 3 Winged Guardian and 3 Eagles of the Misty Mountains, 1-2 Radagast and some Support of the Eagles.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.