Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was considering purchasing some packs the mixed reviews put me off for quite a while but on a whim I added a pack to my stack of games at my FLGS. Worse case scenerio I figured I could use the ships in other pirate games.

There are currently four packs/expansions for the game and all play as a stand alone game and all are interchangeable together.

The first pack was The Pirates of the Spanish Main and included only three factions - Piartes, English and the Spanish. Crew, ships and treasure

The second pack was the The Pirates of the Crimson Coast. This pack added more ships, treasure and crew for the first set and added the French and the Americans to the factions in the game. Forts were also introduced.

The third pack was Pirates of the Revolution. More ships/crew were added to the original factions and the American and French fleets were fleshed out.

The fourth pack was the Pirates of the Barbary Coast. The Jade Rebellion and the Barbary Corsairs were added as factions as well as more ships/crew/treasure added for existing factions.

2006 will see the latest (5th) set the Pirates of the South China Seas and a mythology based pack Davey Jones Curse.

I was impressed with the ships and it was fun just putting them together. The rules are straight forward and the game plays fast (30 min-ish) and requires little space to play. All packs can be played as a stand alone ganme or mixed freely. Bonus.

I played my first game (40 point constructed) against a very seasoned player and got trashed by the HMS Titan (a very rare and powerfuil ship) but still had fun playing. I was out gunned by special crew memebers more than anything. I figured more crew will fix that and I bought some more packs and checked ebay.

My second game was a sealed pack event (players each buy three sealed packs and play whatever you get) and it was more evenly matched. There was less "he has a better ship than me" and more "he made better strategic plays than me". I still lost but I still had fun and I bought more cards.

I really enjoy the game and with some digging found two shops in my area that hold tournaments. I can attend 9 tournaments a month if I had the tim. Ebay has cards priced fairly cheap either for singles to complete/round out your collection or booster packs to gamble on.

My over all impression is its a fun game with simple rules and appeals to a wide range of players of all ages. It take an investment of time to figure out the relationship between ships and crew and its not a game I would bring to the table for other non players to play my cards. It requires players to know the cards they have and secrecy regarding your fleet can really alter your opponents tactics. Having said that a sealed deck game is an excellent way to start.

I like the CCG aspect of the game as I enjoy tracking down rare ships and trading cards and with four sets of game cards out and two more coming out this year there will be no shortage of cards to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I come from the Avalon Hill Wooden Ships & Iron Men old-school tradition, and I love this game. It is fast, fun, agressive, and really not too expensive to play, although you can definitely throw a wad of money over the counter at this game if you choose. My suggestion: get a pack from each version and start with that. Don't worry too much about points, or even if all your ships are from the same country or faction. Just have fun. You can play this one with justa about anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was at Toys R' Us last week and I saw the game for the first time. It intrigued me for two reasons:

1. It’s a new twist for me. I never played a pirate themed game before.
2. How cool is it to have 3 dimensional ships to play with!

However, I did not purchase the game at that time because I didn't know anything about the game. So, I figured I would look into it before I decided to purchase a couple of packs.

I went to http://www.wizkidsgames.com/pirates/howtoplay.asp and went through the "animations" which explain how the game is played. After viewing them, it looks as though this game would be fun to play. And no, not because I get to play with little ships either. With that said, I'm going to pick up a couple of packs this week and give it a try.

I read some of the mediocre reviews the game received in previous posts from last year. Maybe the rules have changed a bit since then because it seems that there are basic and advanced rules now.

So, I will post back here after I play the game and give those who are considering this game some more insight.

UPDATE 3/1/2006: I picked up a Collectors Tin and three booster packs. To see my detailed review click on http://www.boardgamegeek.com/viewcollection.php3?username=ma... and scroll down "Pirates of the Spanish Main" to see it.arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.