Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Oliveira
United States
south orange
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SO im a new time board game with minatures player. Recently alot of the games im buying and liking are minature based, I am for the first time going to try and paint them and see how it works out, im looking to eventually paint all of zomibicde, mansions of madness, and a couple more. Question is what kind of paints should i buy/brushes. Do i need to paint them in acertain manner or anything special i should know? Any help would be great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Clean them and prime them.

As a beginner, that's all you need. People will fight over paint types and such, but they won't matter to someone just starting out.

As a helpful tip, paint in the order you get dressed. Flesh first, then shirt, the jacket, then anything held.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG.

Here's an article that might help get you started:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/687047/painting-plastic-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too just started painting figures a few months ago, and I heartily recommend starting with Zombicide because (1) you get practice on the same figure eight times and (2) they're zombies -- you can't mess them up.

I used the box and manual art as my color template and picked up about a dozen $0.59 acrylic paints at a local craft store. For about $5 I grabbed a bag filled with brushes and then just went crazy.

I used an old prescription pill bottle with a glob of Fun-Tak on top to hold the figure while I painted it.

After a dozen or so hours, I invested in slightly more expensive brushes ($2.99 each), that didn't fall apart and had very fine tips. I'm not sure how much I would have benefited from having those to begin with. I think when I started I was looking to spend the least amount possible in case I hated it.

Anyway, after they were all painted, I dipped them in Minwax Wood stain -- now they're all table ready.

I really think the most important thing is to just get over what you think it will look like, and start painting. When you see it all come together, it's totally worth the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
coconut_ agent
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
hey i just got started a month ago too. I started with Mice and mystics miniatures and then I bought dreadfleet as my painting project. It's been a lot of fun. first you need a primer and some brushes. Any brushes should be fine. make sure you check that the bristles wont come off. Thats usually the problem with cheap brushes. As for paints, I've used some craft store paints and some hobby paints (p3,citadel). They all work fine for me.

Check out this website. super useful.
http://www.how-to-paint-miniatures.com/miniature_painting_ge...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To add to Paul,
Acrylic paints from miniature specialized to cheap craft will all work but you need to thin them down. less thinning for miniature paints is needed. a consistency of melted ice-cream is a good place to start.

cheap synthetic brushes are fine as long as they have a good tip. Cheap natural brushed tend to not have good tips. You wont need expensive natural brushes until you start trying more advanced blending.

Don't mix your colors right away. Using the colors as they are will make touch-up of little mistakes easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
coconut_ agent
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Get a Krylon primer from Wal-Mart. I started with Armory primers. BADDDDD. Good luck and enjoy painting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Oliveira
United States
south orange
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thanks everyone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Carlos, good luck! Please post your pics for us to see when you're done.

My wife and I have no artistic skill, yet we've painted tons of minis and they've come out GREAT! it really adds to the game experience. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flux
United Kingdom
Cropwell Bishop
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Have a look at the Miniature painters guild, it's a friendly place and the forums have a lot of good advice for beginners and experienced alike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
njbrodeur87 wrote:
manner or anything special i should know? Any help would be great

Yeah, good lighting. Seriously, a desk lamp and good lighting are really important.

You spent a lot for your games, buy the best paints you can. Acrylics can be bought just about anywhere, but i would advise you to prime the figs with a hobby store grade spray paint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bedford
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I've found that using washes really seems to add a lot of depth and life to painted minis. It adds shadows to the recesses and seems to highlight details in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Airborne XO
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Painting essentials (what the others have said really):

1) Prime with Matt car spray - the cheap supermarket stuff will do.

2) block your base colours in, invest in a decent small brush and take your time. I use a small (10ish) number of Vallejo game colour paints and some GW metallic ones.

3) Slightly lighter base colour on the raised bits.

4) water down some brown ink (10:1 water:ink) and slap it all over - don't be scared...slap it on, it will look nice once its dry I promise.

5) Hit up with some MATT varnish to take away the shine

Jobs a good 'un!

These were done like this and gives a nice effect:

Cheers, Hal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coconut_agent wrote:
Get a Krylon primer from Wal-Mart. I started with Armory primers. BADDDDD. Good luck and enjoy painting!
Try Dupli-Color Sandable Primer, usually available from auto parts stores.

The mist is super fine and adds just enough tooth without mucking up detail. Just be careful about putting too much on because it seems to level itself out and turn into a smooth surface...pretty much giving an opposite effect of primer.

After that, I recommend vallejo primer through an airbrush. Probably the best option for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few thoughts:

1. Set your expectations low. The really cool miniatures you see painted are likely done by people with YEARS of experience.

2. Focus on one or two aspects of your painting at a time and don't be afraid to experiment. If you're afraid you'll ruin your miniatures, buy some cheapo stuff and practice your techniques on them first.

3. Learn the terms. Inks, washes, drybrushing, etc. There are online tutorials you can watch or read. Learning the terminology will help you understand the pointers experienced painters give you (you may meet them at Game Cons and Game Stores). Many of us will happily chat with you.

4. If you make a mistake, YOU CAN ALWAYS PAINT OVER IT. Worst case, you can do a good scrubbing of the figure (I soak them and then use an old toothbrush), re-prime it, and then go again. As long as you don't cake on the paint, this shouldn't be a problem....

5. Clean the minis well before you paint them (soap and water...I also use an old toothbrush).

Don't be afraid to go with the cheaper craft paints to start. That's how I've started and have progressively moved up to some of the "fancy" paints for my most frequently used highlights. There may be some dispute of this thought, but don't invest $200 in all the supplies up front because it will most likely discourage you if your results aren't up to your expectations. You should be able to get started for $25-30 (in my opinion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.