Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael James
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
Howdy all:

I'm an amateur go player, but I have always appreciated the simplistic beauty of the game!

I own a small inn in PEI canada, and I was thinking of placing a decorative Go board in one of my common areas that people can fiddle around with.

I have about $500 set aside for a board, stones and bowls. I know that's not a lot...but any ideas where I should start looking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For that price range and goal, probably keep an eye on eBay for an antique Japanese floor board. There are some people who buy them from flea markets in Japan and then fly them over to the west for resale.

If you're looking for something to go on a coffee table, then you have more options. $500 goes a long way toward a nice table set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
You could buy one of the small board 'floor' boards that go for sale at Essen each year. I'm not sure how easily that could be shipped to you but I don't think they cost alot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of interest, how would people answer this if the ideal marketplace was in England, not Canada?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
b a n j o wrote:

I would agree with this response. I've gotten some really nice go equipment from Yellow Mountain Imports. You won't get a full sized floor goban or the very nicest shell and slate stones for that price, but you can get a very decent board and nice stones/bowls especially considering your plans to let unknown customers fidget with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Gmaal wrote:
Just out of interest, how would people answer this if the ideal marketplace was in England, not Canada?

8 years ago I bought a free-standing goban from a small importer for around £300. I've managed to find the original e-mail exchange I had with them and have found their web site, but they now appear to be a web-site development company. Their site is www.mediatradingservices.co.uk but they state that this operating company is now closed, although there is still an enquiry form. You may try filling in the form and asking whether they still import gobans. They used to sell 15-20 per year when I dealt with them, and they gave me wonderful customer service, so I have absolutely no reservation in recommending them as a supplier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael James
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
Yes, I should clarify that I'm putting it on a table

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tettamanti
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tmredden wrote:
b a n j o wrote:

I would agree with this response. I've gotten some really nice go equipment from Yellow Mountain Imports. You won't get a full sized floor goban or the very nicest shell and slate stones for that price, but you can get a very decent board and nice stones/bowls especially considering your plans to let unknown customers fidget with them.

Agreed. YM has a wide variety, from starter sets to very expensive, nice sets. From my recollection, my set came from overseas and came well packed and shipped fairly quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael James
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
okay, I have narrowed it to

http://www.ymimports.com/p-2158-classical-rosewood-4-12-go-b...

and

http://www.ymimports.com/p-2116-shin-kaya-2-38-6cm-go-floor-...

The second looks nicer, but I like the storage solution of the first

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a traditionalist and thus would naturally go for the second, which looks like a great set for the price.

The storage drawers in the first set may or may not be helpful depending on your layout anyway. Is this board going to sit permanently on a table? If so, then the drawers would work nicely. But if the board is going to get moved around at all, then the drawers add weight (of both the drawers themselves as well as their contents) and can slide out when moving the board. I think the second set would be preferable in that situation. On the other hand, if the board is going to get moved around a lot, you might be asking for those feet to knocked off - a plain, flat table board would probably be better in that case.

Also note that the first set has single convex stones while the second has double convex, in case you have a preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
geminixo wrote:
Thoughts?

They both look nice but you indicated that you wanted a table board and these are floor boards.

I have the bowls, stones and bowls bag shown on the more expensive set and really like them a lot. The bowls and stones are incredible. The bag quality isn't quite up to par.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
geminixo wrote:
Thoughts?

They both look nice but you indicated that you wanted a table board and these are floor boards.

Agreed. While I like the second one better, neither of these are going to work on a table. Your guests will have to sit on the floor to use these, or they will be too high off of a table top. Maybe off of a low coffee table, but it's going to be weird.

If you're planning to put them on a table, look up "table boards". They don't have feet on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2nd one is not a full height floor board so should work perfectly well on a table top as well. The Yunzi stones are great. Make sure you polish them up with a few drops of clear oil and that set will look terrific!

BTW, the double convex stones are soooo much nicer than the single convex, and the 2nd one comes with nice bowls as well. If you got the $$ the 2nd one is the definite choice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the second one is only 4.5" tall including the feet. I don't think that would be much of a problem on most tables.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
Yeah, the second one is only 4.5" tall including the feet. I don't think that would be much of a problem on most tables.

Really? I recommend taking whatever board you are currently using and propping it up that high and see before you buy anything. 4-1/2" may not sound like a lot, but it would make playing awkward on the tables I'm using.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael James
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
The idea is that the board will be on a table, permanently. It's supposed to be both decorative, and practical.

Now that I realize how big these boards are...I may have to keep looking ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert kalin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people are really strict about go boards being 'plain' or fitting a specific minimum alteration from a basic format.

If your not going for 'plain' or 'standard' then have fun.

I made a floor style goban from an end table. Just resurfaced the top and cut the legs short. Looks awesome and the total cost was under 50$.

Heres the link to my progression from plain table to final product.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/882961/an-end-table-goba...

Tabletop boards dont allow for much alteration aside from 'border' decoration.

Having worked off and on again in the customer service arena, I know that people can be rough on any kind of equipment. Wither it is something as simple as a table or a chair it gets used, abused, and often broken. I would be tempted to place an inexpensive but noteably attractive home made goban out as a kind of advertisment of a better set. Possibly have a small metal plate proclaiming 'Ask at counter for use of a quality go set' embedded on the side. That way, missing stones, nicks in the wood, cup rings, cigarette burns, ink pen doodles, etc wouldnt harm a nice good quality goban. Especially the missing stones part. Whoo... I'ld have some Cheapo stones out with the home made board. Not those planter glass dollop things, just verry inexpensive stones. Something uniform in dimension and easily replaced.

But this is all dependant on the kind of clientel you recieve in your Inn. If its a family affair ild go with inexpensive and sturdy due to children. If its more of a buisness man and tie place I'ld feel comfortable with better quality stuff out on display.

May the lords of the game bless you with many customers that play go.
-
May First Post Script

If this goban is intended to be placed in an area heavy with the traffic of children I'ld be tempted to make a go board pattern embedded/marked into a common tabletop. Two circular areas on each side one marked 'stones' the other 'captures' and possibly simplified rules on how to play. (disguised as a border pattern) In this way all information is there for new players including children. The stones would either be behind the counter so toddlers wouldnt confuse them for candy (once again depending on clientel) or Disguised as the 'bedding' around decorative fake flowers. These flowers would easily be mounted onto a single 'base' for a quick 'yank out'; yet they would stay attached together and sit upright on their own. In this way decorative in theme with the table yet at the same time just about ready for use,. And yes I'm thinking of the cheap glass kind in this particular situation. Once again I'm thinking of 'cheap, replaceable, and soda pop clean up'.

As I stated before it all depends on the overall composition of your clients.

Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.