Luke
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I know who said that, I said that as well... but I wanted to find a way to debunk such belief. Let me tell you my experience. This is how we prevented the main concern when playing Citadels with many people: downtime.

Ok here's the company:
3 women (first play for 2 of them), 5 Men (first play for 3 of them). I must admit that all them had some sort of attitude to the boardgames.. some sort. This mean the two women play monopoly, and scotland yard at least twice a year. While the rest have also play risk and some easy card games for groups.

They grasped the basic quite easily but, you know, the real issue comes with the selection of the roles - "Ok guys I know this may look a bit unfair to you, but this is our first game so we need to speed it up, you know the roles and what they do, more or less, so we all have 15 seconds to decide which role to pick." -
I thought this could cause some dissatisfaction but it kept the game fresh with everyone pressuring the one who needed to pick the role at the time, with no exclusions, so they pressured me a lot as well
The game progressed with a fast pace as I helped the new players with the decisions from the highest self-imposed neutrality.

It's been fun as always until one of my friends got the Dancehall, and built it as soon as he realized the hidden power in that card, considering how he enjoyed being the king from time to time.
From then on we all needed to thank "your majesty the king" for being granted a turn and this turned the game into a bloody race to deny one or the other of their turn, thus resulting in more fun.

The game proceeded quite fast and in the end it took 1hr and half. I still believe it's a bit too much for a card game such as Citadels, but yet the players were inexperienced. So with a group who has played it before and with a limitation on the time available to pick the role the game can be made even shorter.
Maybe this is a limitation since the role one picks is very important expecially towards the end of the game, but I really don't feel like playing Citadels with few people, I'd rather play some more meaty games. I like to think of Citadels as a cool semi-party game with something more than the common card games, which needs to be kept fast by "forcing" the players to quick decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont see why it would result in fewer assasinations, as you just have to play with more open cards, thus giving the same chance if hitting the right character with the thief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.