Subject: Can someone explain this disconnect? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an unabashed geek. I love comic books, sci-fi, fantasy, board games, etc. Yet in my life, I (and the other geeks I know) have always been picked on and told that our interests are stupid. Okay. Fine. Hanging out here, I know that it's been that way for a lot of people who enjoy geeky things.

But here is what I don't get: If geek culture is so stupid and childish, why is it that there are so many hugely successful movies/tv series made about comic book characters and fantasy books? Why are studios climbing all over themselves to pump out the newest comic book based movie or TV series based on an (until recently) obscure sci-fi/fantasy book series?

Where are the viewers coming from? Are there just that many geeks in the world that they can drive these movies to such huge box office numbers? Are there that many closet geeks? Or are the same people who deride our interests as stupid going to these movies and taking out cable packages to watch these shows? If that's the case, color me confused.

If you don't like geeky things, why would you go pay $10 or more for a ticket to see a geeky movie? Why are these things suddenly cool when they hit the theater, but they've never been remotely cool before that?

Anyone have any insights? I'm genuinely curious what drives the crossover from "stupid" to "blockbuster."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
If you can get 10% of the American population out to see a movie, that's about $300M gross. A movie doesn't have to appeal to the majority to be a huge hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
people get nervous when you can have more fun than they can with things they know nothing about

its the xenophobic nature of humans

if you like something you like something, if someone dont like it, they can get stuffed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Dabbling is not the issue. Geeks aren't dabblers in geeky culture, they are immersed in geek culture.

Just like people who play settlers once or twice a year I don't consider "gamers", they are just people who played a game.

Same goes for going to watch Iron Man in the theater. There are people who spend 2 hours and are entertained by the story...and then there are people who live and breath everything about iron man.

It's not a disconnect, it's perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Action films and TV aren't geeky (unless they try to be).

What's "geeky" is taking the background contexts and delivery mediums too seriously, especially if it's done as an alternative to "approved mainstream activities" like sports.

Of course this isn't fair, but that won't change majority opinion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe "geeks" are looked down upon for their obsessive behavior more than anything else. Joe Average enjoys the Batman movie as an action escape from the real world for a few hours. Joe Geek obsesses over the "DC Universe" and loses himself completely in an alternative reality for days and weeks. He feels compelled to collect memorabilia and wear costumes that help him identify with his hero and commits ridiculous minutia to memory.

Trust me, obsessive sports fans are looked down upon just as much as comic book and sci-fi geeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Face it. There are those who are geeks in this world and those who are BORING! I learned long ago it's more important that I enjoy life than it is that other people approve of what I do. So I play boardgames, collect superhero bobbleheads and have a civil war book collection that puts to shame most major libraries. If you find that odd, offensive or weird you can bite me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
One word can simply sum this all up: Denial.

Really that is what it is. The old: "Its not cool to like that, so I have to pretend I don't".

F-that....I am a geek over a lot of things. I have no shame. I play HeroQuest....solo....while listening to Girls' Generation....and singing along when I can.

And I am 36.

If you don't like it, then you go have a miserable life. I'm enjoying mine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
OxfordRow wrote:
But here is what I don't get: If geek culture is so stupid and childish, why is it that there are so many hugely successful movies/tv series made about comic book characters and fantasy books?

Because people are stupid and childish in general.

No, in all seriousness, I completely agree with the comments above: it's not about enjoying comics, it's about obsessing over them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I'll never forget this moment at GenCon in Indy. GenCon is held at the Indianapolis Convention Center which is adjacent to the Indianapolis Colts Stadium. Most years gencon seems to fall on the same weekend when they have a pre-season Colts rally at the stadium - everyone shows up wearing their favorite jerseys.

On several occasions I've seen shouting matches brew up between GenCon attendees and Colts fans. I don't know who starts them but there is tremendous irony present when you see people on one side, dressed as their favorite entertainment characters shouting slurs at people dressed as their favorite entertainment characters.

I think most people are geeks about one thing or another, whether they wear their costumes in public or not. But we still seem to stick with our tribe.

I think the experience of being singled out, picked on and put down for the innocent pursuit of my unique interests has made me more accepting of other peoples oddities and quirks. I find that I can make friends with many different people because I'm able to understand that differences aren't things to mock but to celebrate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.