1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [27] | 

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: AGoT 2ed PBF #77: There's a beast in every man rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nestor House
msg tools
mb

Alright guys, I just realized my name will come up on the waiting list in about6 months. So I decided to mod the game I play myself and make things faster. Bear in mind that this is my first PBF game, so be patient.

As for the rules, I took a lot of inspiration from dave dave http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/872046/agot-2e-pbf-40-agot-w...

and http://boardgamegeek.com/user/SeptembreAnge http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/913248/agot-2ed-pbf-53-a-cro...

So to the Rules:

The Basics:
1. We will play standard 2ed Rules
2. No TOB cards
3. No Ravens to other players. Meaning, all communication with other players has to be public through this thread.
4. I will roll westeros cards here.
5. Houses for the players will also be rolled here. Players may exchange houses between them.
6. I will update the map once every day or two, and upload it here.
7. Politics are encouraged, and should be Italicized
8. Orders in posts should be bold
9. References:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/agot-bg-2nd-ed... - 2ed Rules
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3054 Official FAQ
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/752416/official-responses-fr... Official Responses from FFG

Posting:

When posting in this thread, use your houses banner:

Game Mechanincs

Sending orders:
Please login at least once a day to post orders. If you can't, please notify here.

Whenever it is necessary by the game, geekmail me your orders.

When you send me your orders, you can use any one of two methods to avoid me accidentally reading orders:
1. Geekmail subject, as described below, so I know not to read your orders, until it is time. If you geek ail your orders, it is better to wait after I post the hash of my orders, here (so you can verify I haven't changed my orders according to yours).

Geekmail subject
--- Orders:
------ AGoT PBF #77 - Round [Round #] - [House Name] - Orders
--- Bid:
------ AGoT PBF #77 - Round [Round #] - [House Name] - [IT/F/KC/W] Bid
--- House Card:
------ AGoT PBF #77 - Round [Round #] - [House Name] - House Card If fighting me only send me the hash of your card
--- Examples:
------ AGoT PBF #77 - Round 1 - Stark - Orders
------ AGoT PBF #77 - Round 2 - Stark - IT Bid
------ AGoT PBF #77 - Round 2 - Stark - House Card

2. Sending me the hash of your orders (described below)
enter the site http://sha1-hash-online.waraxe.us/. Enter a text AND WRITE IT DOWN EXACTLY press calculate hash, and send me the results. I will explain the hash thing more below, but the important part is that it changes greatly with every slight change of the text you entered. This way I can only verify your orders, after you post them publicly here (and I can't know them in advance, while making mine).

Be sure to always send orders to all your lands, and to mark with a * special orders.
If you send an illegal order, or no order to a land, it will be changed by the first available order from the list:
Defend, Raid, Support, March, CP

After sending me your orders/bid via geekmail, go to the thread and post that you have done so. This will do a lot to help the game keep moving along.

Once all the players sent me their orders (and posted a message in the forum) start posting your orders in the thread. You don't have to fear someone changing their orders, cause I will verify the orders. Once all players posted their orders, start resolving them according to order.
Anhy player may simply write down the turn order in the thread.
For example:
Raid:
Baratheon
Lannister
Stark

March:
Lannister
Stark
Tyrell

CP:
Martell
Greyjoy

And then Baratheon just posts his raid...

During Combat Phase, we will use the following steps:
--- a. The attacker calculates and posts both his and the defender's combat strength. This includes BOTH their initial strength (combat strength of participating units), order modifier (+2, +1, +0, or -1), and initial support.
--- b. Both attacker and defender then asks for support from other houses. Those who wish to support any side should declare it by posting a message in the thread. If support has been declared, the supporter recomputes and posts both parties' modified combat strength.
--- c. The attacker Geekmails me his chosen house card and informs everyone by posting that he has already sent his house card to the mod.
--- d. The defender Geekmails me his chosen house card AND posts it in the thread.
--- e. The attacker reveals his house card by posting it in the thread.
--- f. The attacker or defender may now decide if he will use his Valyrian Steel Blade token.
--- g. Anyone may now recompute and post the final combat strength of both parties. Combat resolution follows.
--- Notes:
------ Steps (b & f) are optional and may be skipped.
------ In the interest of speeding things up, the attacker may skip Step b and proceed with Step c. In this case, support from other houses can still be declared as long as the defender has not yet geekmailed me his house card (Step d). All support declared after step d will no longer count.
------ In Step g, anyone may resolve the combat without waiting for the mod.
------ Calculation example for copy and paste, modify it according to the current battle:

[Attacker]
Initial Strength = 3 (1 KN, 1 FM)
Order = -1
Support = 0
Card = Send to mod
Total = 2++

[Defender]
Initial Strength = 1 (1 FM)
Order = +1
Support = 1 (1 SH)
Card = ??
Total = 3++

Feel free to take your next action if you feel it won't affect what's currently going on. Alternatively, you can send me the action via Geekmail and I'll process it at the appropriate time. Conditional orders are very much welcome.
On changing your mind, I will accept updates/changes to orders/battles until I have an order from each person. If the last person I was waiting for already submitted their order, then no orders can be changed.
We will use the official 2nd edition rulebook for all rules. If a question is not answered in the rulebook, we will use Official Responses from FFG. If that still doesn't answer the question, I will make the call.
If you see something wrong--either that I did incorrectly or another player--let us know right away! I will do my best to correct any mistakes as fairly as possible.

Wildling Cards
This part is tricky, cause I don't want to use an external mod.

Before starting, I will post a list of encrypted and randomized cards. If the holder of the raven hasn't taken a look at the cards, and wildlings attack, any player may simply roll a dice, and I will post the key to the list, and the card will be resolved.
If the raven holder does look at the deck, the Iron Throne holder, will roll (or choose) a number and send me a hash of the number in the text (for exmample, if he chooses 5 he can write down the text "I chose 5" and send me fbb7a7826732b1cce8acdd9afa2a98b239a9aad4. Then he will send the raven holder the text.
The card to be played will be the card whose number the Iron Throne holder chose (and only he and .
I will send the raven holder the key to the encrypted list, so only the raven holder knows the card. Once the card is played, the Raven holder will post here the unencrypted list, and the text sent to him by the Iron Throne holder.
If the raven holder chooses to discard the card, he will have to re-encrypt the list, with his card last, and post the new encrypted list here. I will explain him how to encrypt the list. The next Iron Throne roll will be with one card less.

A few words on the Hash

A few words on what's technically happening there, and why I consider this a save method. If you trust me, or are not interested in this stuff you can skip the next few paragraphs.

Again the hash site is http://sha1-hash-online.waraxe.us/
When you enter anything into the textbox a hash is generated, using SHA1.
A hash is a string which is "unique" for each possible data (in our case the value of the textfield) you pass to it. Of course it cannot be really unique, due to it's fixed length and thereof finite nature. Every time you find two different datas, which lead to the same hash, you have found a collision.
Hashes are designed to avoid collisions as good as possible. That's their purpose after all.

That also is one of the reasons hashes change drastically when you only change a little bit of your data. And that is the reason why it is so important to save the exact text you enter in this textfield.

From this hash you cannot get any information about the data. That would be encryption opposed to hashes.

That is the reason you have to know the exact data you typed into that textfield, otherwise no one will be able to validate your orders (which would lead to you being accused to cheat).

Please be aware

The hash for the text "Tywin Lannister" will always be the same (8d422c80c224a4a227b2b264dc2a5b94e66e8849). Again, this is the purpose of hashes in general.
This leads to one problem. Example:
In case of a fight the defender knows the hash of the attacking players house card. He could just go on and try every name from the house cards the defender has and compare their hashes with the one given.
To avoid this being a problem:

How to avoid a problem occuring when using hashes

Always add something to your text, which the other most probably will not guess.
For example: "Tywin Lannister: For the last time! I do NOT shit gold!"
This would lead to a very different hash:
89199da20bd2165a60ed13814d255d66b9bbe0b2 than just "Tywin Lannister":
8d422c80c224a4a227b2b264dc2a5b94e66e8849

So, always add some additional text to everything you have to post a hash for.

One other problem is the possibility to edit posts. Never ever in this thread even think of editing a post with a hash in it. It will look like you changed the hash after everyone showed what they use/do/have/bid.

Edit: Made playing and modding at the same time clearer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor House
msg tools
mb
Refernce:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor House
msg tools
mb
Current Map:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor House
msg tools
mb

Invitations:

CaptDraino - Invited Playing
HodorHodor - Invited Joined a game already
Alfonsolo- Invited Declined
ZillaGod - Invited
dejam - Invited Declined
Daemonis - Invited Playing
Xapi- Invited Declined
PaulHarkonen - Invited Playing
zbardou - Skipped because no ravens
Kriton - Invited

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Capt Draino
United States
New York
flag msg tools
New Mods make the world go 'round.

Id love to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor House
msg tools
mb

Welcome, CaptDraino!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Mikheev
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
I'm in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor House
msg tools
mb

Welcome Daemonis.

Btw, I just realized it's not plain in the rules.
I wish to play and moderate at the same time, hence the special wildlings rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harkonen
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
I would love to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor House
msg tools
mb

Welcome Paul Harkonen. Two more players and we start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hodor Hodor
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As you already noticed I am already in a game (74). Good luck everyone (and btw: cool title..I know it from the series but is it in the books as well?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor House
msg tools
mb
Not sure about the line being in the books, I am reading a clash of kings right now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Nash
United States
Houston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Kostin
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Kostin
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HouseNestor wrote:
Current Map:

By the way, time to update the map as soon as there have appeared actors for Blackfish and Queen of thorns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor House
msg tools
mb

OK.
So as ZillaGod hasn't answered in 2 days, looks like we're set. to start.
We'll start with rolling for houses.

CaptDraino, your house will be:
1custom6{Baratheon;Lannister;Stark;Martell;Greyjoy;Tyrell} -> ( Greyjoy) -> ( Greyjoy)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 349382. HouseNestor
  • 1custom6{Baratheon;Lannister;Stark;Martell;Greyjoy;Tyrell} =
  • ( Greyjoy) =
  • ( Greyjoy)
  • Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:53 pm
Nestor House
msg tools
mb
Daemonis, your house will be:
1custom5{Baratheon;Lannister;Stark;Martell;Tyrell} -> ( Lannister) -> ( Lannister)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 349384. HouseNestor
  • 1custom5{Baratheon;Lannister;Stark;Martell;Tyrell} =
  • ( Lannister) =
  • ( Lannister)
  • Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:55 pm
Nestor House
msg tools
mb

PaulHarkonen, your house will be:
1custom4{Baratheon;Stark;Martell;Tyrell} -> ( Tyrell) -> ( Tyrell)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 349387. HouseNestor
  • 1custom4{Baratheon;Stark;Martell;Tyrell} =
  • ( Tyrell) =
  • ( Tyrell)
  • Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:59 pm
Nestor House
msg tools
mb

Kruton, your house will be:

1custom3{Baratheon;Stark;Martell;} -> ( Stark) -> ( Stark)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 349389. HouseNestor
  • 1custom3{Baratheon;Stark;Martell;} =
  • ( Stark) =
  • ( Stark)
  • Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:00 pm
Nestor House
msg tools
mb

Vitezslav, your house will be:
1custom2{Baratheon;Martell} -> ( Martell) -> ( Martell)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 349390. HouseNestor
  • 1custom2{Baratheon;Martell} =
  • ( Martell) =
  • ( Martell)
  • Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:02 pm
Nestor House
msg tools
mb
And That leaves me with:
1custom1{Baratheon} -> ( Baratheon) -> ( Baratheon)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 349391. HouseNestor
  • 1custom1{Baratheon} =
  • ( Baratheon) =
  • ( Baratheon)
  • Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:03 pm
Nestor House
msg tools
mb

Let's take 24 hours to exchange houses if anyone wants.
If you're fine with the houses, we'll start.

Also, before we start, did you all get the hash thing (where you can send me the hash of your orders, so I won't know them, or wait for me to send the hash of mine, before you send yours)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harkonen
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
I will play Tyrell, but if one of the more northern lords (basically anyone other than Tyrell and Martel) wants to swap I'd appreciate it.

I've played a southern lord for 4 games in a row now and I'd love a change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Mikheev
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
PaulHarkonen wrote:
I will play Tyrell, but if one of the more northern lords (basically anyone other than Tyrell and Martel) wants to swap I'd appreciate it.

I've played a southern lord for 4 games in a row now and I'd love a change.

It's my 3rd game, and I already played Lannister (and sucked ). So I'd be happy to exchange if you do not mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harkonen
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Works for me. Lannister is always a fun house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [27] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.