Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Messing around with Dutch rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T W
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my play has been as Imperials against a 7 year-old, so I spend a LOT more time imagining how things would work than actually trying them... That said, I had a couple of ideas of a mixed group based on Dutch's target lock ability.

---
Dutch's Greenhorns:
Dutch + R2 + Proton Torpedos + Ion Turret
2x Prototype + Cluster
Rookie + Proton
---
Dutch's Deadeyes:
Dutch + Proton
2x Green + Deadeye + Cluster
Rookie + Proton
---

With the "deadeye" build I've been thinking of stripping out one of the torps to upgrade the missiles to Homing, but that leaves me feeling like Dutch is completely useless, especially with no Ion Turret.

Thoughts?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
tmwray wrote:
With the "deadeye" build I've been thinking of stripping out one of the torps to upgrade the missiles to Homing, but that leaves me feeling like Dutch is completely useless, especially with no Ion Turret.

Thoughts?

Drop both of the torpedoes (they're not very reliable), and use the points to upgrade the Cluster Missiles (also not very good) to Homing and give Dutch an Ion Cannon Turret.

tmwray wrote:
Most of my play has been as Imperials against a 7 year-old...

There's a growing community of people using a software package called Vassal for practice and tournament prep. Check it out!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
I'm currently messing around with this squad:

2x Rookie Xwings
2x proto Awings
1x Dutch + R2 astromech



yes, its a Ywing WITHOUT IONS, WITHOUT TORPS. You could easily swap Dutch for a Gold Ywing + ions, but the key idea is that your Awings or Xwings would benefit from the bonus lock, and a Ywing that empty would generally be the last thing your opponent would want to fire on anyway, so that bonus lock would stay in play for quite long. Also, the Ywing does actually pump out damage, in the form of 2 hits with most of your attacks, so having the R2 on it would help it engage enemies like you would with any other ship. It actually does work pretty well, once you ditch the idea of the Ywing being a slow and lousy dogfighter. This Ywing is ignored by your opponent, and hands out free locks like candy on halloween, and when he gets within range 1 which he will due to reverse 4 and green hard 2s, your opponent will have a very different idea of the Ywing. If he goes for Dutch first, then good for him, means your Xwings would have less fire to deal with for the initial rounds, and losing Dutch is no big deal either
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kraft
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won a kessel run with a naked Dutch and 3 X-wings.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Caldwell
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Enies wrote:
I won a kessel run with a naked Dutch


Did he lose a game of sabacc?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duraham wrote:
I'm currently messing around with this squad:

2x Rookie Xwings
2x proto Awings
1x Dutch + R2 astromech



yes, its a Ywing WITHOUT IONS, WITHOUT TORPS.


That bothers me much less than the 2 Prototype Pilots. Those things are like fancy gnats.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
magadizer wrote:
Duraham wrote:
I'm currently messing around with this squad:

2x Rookie Xwings
2x proto Awings
1x Dutch + R2 astromech



yes, its a Ywing WITHOUT IONS, WITHOUT TORPS.


That bothers me much less than the 2 Prototype Pilots. Those things are like fancy gnats.


exactly the kind of mindset you want your opponent to have
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duraham wrote:
magadizer wrote:
Duraham wrote:
I'm currently messing around with this squad:

2x Rookie Xwings
2x proto Awings
1x Dutch + R2 astromech



yes, its a Ywing WITHOUT IONS, WITHOUT TORPS.


That bothers me much less than the 2 Prototype Pilots. Those things are like fancy gnats.


exactly the kind of mindset you want your opponent to have


I assume that's the case with players who field them well. I haven't had enough practice with them to see them useful without missiles. I don't really have the time to try them out and after the few games I have played with A-wings, I am less inclined to bother to acquire the skill to use them effectively.

Off topic, but have you ever tried a 5 A-wing squad?

edit for ridiculous typos
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
not yet, i only have 2 Awings so far and i do not want to proxy them.

if you compare the Xwing and Ywing maneuvers, the only thing you are lacking is forward 4 and hard turn 3 due to it being sealed off with a red. This means that with the aid of R2 astro, you are actually about as nimble as an empty Xwing, and could attempt to go for the hard turn 3 since you have the greens to recover next turn, and the large amount of hp you have makes any mistakes rather forgiving. Plus, without ions or the 2nd torps, nearly all players would ignore the Ywing, myself included, so if you can get it within range1 it can deal some damage with 3dice and a lock, which is about the same as an Awing actually.

i discovered this odd playstyle when introducing new players at my local shops and i flew an empty Ywing with R2 astro, thinking that i would easily give the new players a win without being too obvious. i wouldnt call it a good dogfighter, but i can understand why the base Ywing costs about the same as an Awing
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.