David Hansen
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mb
What's the historical basis for artillery's inability to shell across the same approach in consecutive turns? Similarly, why does being on a hill and firing into flat ground allow them to do this? Trying to figure out how elevation would increase rate of fire but I suspect I'm taking the wrong approach there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kåre Dyvik
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowen has explained that somewhere. The reason is game technical. The effect of artillery fire in one hour should correspond to approximately one half strength point lost for the enemy. Instead of doubling the number of strength points with the units, Bowen decided to lower the rate of fire instead. Except when firing from a hill, when artillery fire tended to be more deadly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Brother" Eicher
United States
Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Bowen said that this keeps artillery from being over-powered. The advantage in firepower that artillery has by being on a hill is simulated by the increased "firing rate."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
nappeto wrote:
Bowen has explained that somewhere.

It was in this thread: Why can't artillery attack every round except from a hill?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hansen
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Fascinating. Thanks, all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.