Star Wars: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Multiple Faction Decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Bijok
msg tools
HEY GUYS!
First post from me.

Just a quick question about forming duel faction decks. I checked through the rulebook and did a quick google search but couldnt find any posts about it (mind you I am lazy and only looked at the first 3 pages).

Q: IF you want to create a 2 faction deck, for example, Jedi and Rebels. WHICH faction card do you have to use? Can you just choose? Does it have to be whichever has the most objectives?

I only ask because (I presume) the faction card can create resource colour/type of the particular faction that it is, putting another factor into balancing a multi-faction deck.

Response would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Lots of love
Mikey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You pick the Affiliation card you want to use, then you build your deck. There are some limitations on the deck building:
- You must have at least 10 Objective Sets
- Objective Sets must match the side of the Affiliation you chose (i.e. Light Side or Dark Side)
- You cannot have more than 2 Objective Sets of the same kind in a deck
- You cannot have more than 1 Objective Set of the same kind that specifies "Only 1 Per Deck"
- You cannot have Objective Sets that state "{Affiliation} Only" and they don't match your Affiliation (for example, if you chose Jedi, you cannot include "Rebel Alliance Only" Objective Sets).

Other than that, you can build however you like. Mix/match affiliation objective sets, grab some affiliation-neutral sets, etc. The only other thing to keep in mind is that when playing a card that is part of an affiliation, at least one resource must be of that affiliation type. For example, if you want to play Luke Skywalker who is a Jedi affiliation and all your current objectives are Rebel Alliance objectives, you cannot play him. So be careful on mix/matching too much.

HTH,

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another note, I tend to pick the Affiliation card of the lesser objectives in my deck (unless I really want that affiliation-only set). For example, if I have 7 Jedi and 3 Smugglers, I will pick the Smuggler affiliation card. This way I always have one affiliation resource (the affiliation card itself) for smugglers, and chances are good that I could have 3 Jedi Objectives and 0 Smugger Objectives. If I didn't have that Smuggler Affiliation Card for its resource, I would get screwed and never be able to play Han Solo...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty typical to pick the affiliation card that goes with the least represented affiliation in your objective deck, unless you pick an affiliation in order to qualify for a specific objective set.

At regionals, I ran 6 Navy objectives and 4 Sith objectives, but I was running Navy affiliation. Opponent asked why I was't running Sith affiliation for the resource match, but I was using The Ultimate Power so I could not. I chose to accept the small risk of drawing no Sith objectives at all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bijok
msg tools
Aweshome. That makes sense. I just wanted to confirm from someone

Fankoo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bijok
msg tools
Its a fair risk when you can just BLOW UP AN OBJECTIVE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kojib wrote:

When you have a battle station that's the ultimate power in the universe, it's highly suggested that you use it. Unless you happen to have a sad devotion to some ancient religion that powers your sorcerous ways, although I hear that doesn't help to conjure up stolen data tapes or give you clairvoyance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BakaMattSu wrote:
Kojib wrote:

When you have a battle station that's the ultimate power in the universe, it's highly suggested that you use it. Unless you happen to have a sad devotion to some ancient religion that powers your sorcerous ways, although I hear that doesn't help to conjure up stolen data tapes or give you clairvoyance.

Someone's getting Force Choked soon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BakaMattSu wrote:
Kojib wrote:

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
I miss my boy :(
mbmbmbmbmb
BakaMattSu wrote:
Kojib wrote:

Thats fraken awesome, man

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Personally, I find it weird and unthematic that the best choice is to assign your affiliation to what's least present in your deck. I wonder if FFG will do something to address that...either giving you a reason to want lots of cards to match your affiliation, or requiring at least 5 objectives to match the affiliation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzmore wrote:
Personally, I find it weird and unthematic that the best choice is to assign your affiliation to what's least present in your dedoesn't sound as cool either.doesn't sound as ck. I wonder if FFG will do something to address that...either giving you a reason to want lots of cards to match your affiliation, or requiring at least 5 objectives to match the affiliation.

I like the flexibility that it gives you. I sort of wish instead of naming it your affiliation it was just your free resource match but that doesn't sound as cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Egan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
fizzmore wrote:
Personally, I find it weird and unthematic that the best choice is to assign your affiliation to what's least present in your deck. I wonder if FFG will do something to address that...either giving you a reason to want lots of cards to match your affiliation, or requiring at least 5 objectives to match the affiliation.

There are already affiliation required objective sets. Why would FFG ever mandate only single affilation decks? Which is essentially what you are suggesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzmore wrote:

Your affiliation has little thematic link to how your deck is themed. It's all about the cards that are in it.

Requiring 5 objectives to match your affiliation would all but kill affiliation mixing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh, I realize the problems with that particular solution. I just find the existing state of affairs with regard to what affiliations mean clunky/unthematic. LotR, for example, handles the problem much more elegantly imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.