Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

1830: Railways & Robber Barons» Forums » General

Subject: Endgame: Grind or Lightning? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have now played three "teaching" games of this, but have still not finished. We seem to run out of time at around the four hour mark, and the 5s or 6s are being bought.

My question is about the endgame.

Once the railroads have their unrustable trains, does the game tend to end quickly, or is it a drawn out grind for cash?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It ends rather quickly, usually max 2 set of ORs.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Lawcomic wrote:
Once the railroads have their unrustable trains, does the game tend to end quickly, or is it a drawn out grind for cash?

Even though it does not take many turns, for new players, it might feel like a grind because it is harder to count up long runs than short ones.

Also, there might be cases where the railroads aren't running high value runs (due to lack of experience) and that would lead to more rounds.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
A somewhat more accurate measure is that with experienced players, 1830 is a 6-7 SRs with experienced players, sometimes 5 SRs if there's an early bankruptcy. Novice games tend to go longer, not merely because they play more slowly, but in terms of additional SRs (10-12 SRs is not uncommon with novices) due to timid train buying and weak track development.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lawcomic wrote:
I have now played three "teaching" games of this, but have still not finished. We seem to run out of time at around the four hour mark, and the 5s or 6s are being bought.

My question is about the endgame.

Once the railroads have their unrustable trains, does the game tend to end quickly, or is it a drawn out grind for cash?


Others are saying this, but maybe not 100% clearly.

Once there are only permanent trains left, the game ends quickly in terms of how many turns are left. And the turns are simple in that generally a company's trains run the same routes every time, maybe with a delta of $20 in what they pay out. People generally have relatively static stock portfolios by this point simply because nearly everything is in players' hands and they don't want to sell.

This still takes a long time until you have a system down for managing it, whether you break out your laptop and use one of the automated moderators or just get good with a pencil and paper. But if you have to recompute every train run for every company and work out how much to allocate to shareholders based on how many shares they have, well, that will take a while. We're talking a difference of at least an hour just around faster or slower management of what are essentially accounting tasks.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
A somewhat more accurate measure is that with experienced players, 1830 is a 6-7 SRs with experienced players, sometimes 5 SRs if there's an early bankruptcy. Novice games tend to go longer, not merely because they play more slowly, but in terms of additional SRs (10-12 SRs is not uncommon with novices) due to timid train buying and weak track development.


Yes, but this extra game length is fundamentally prior to the emergence of the permanent trains. The original poster has already seen how his group plays this portion of the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
Avatar
mbmbmb
You also might enjoy some of the discussions here:

Shaking Up the End Game?

Lawcomic wrote:
... We seem to run out of time at around the four hour mark, and the 5s or 6s are being bought....


I'll add that if you're quitting before 6s kill 3s which leads to Ds busting 4s, you're missing out on some of the most exciting turns of the game. When there's a mass of rusting trains in the future, you can see some dramatic company dumps and jockeying for turn order taking place - and, if you've played well, a dizzying bankruptcy.

I've done pretty well at avoiding having a busted company needing a D train handed to me but I also end up in second place a lot. Big risks can have a big reward but can also lead to ruin - I'm still trying to find that thin line.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.