Hide
9 Posts

Mage Wars Arena» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Priestess - 'Standard' Temple Build? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincent Smegs
msg tools
I've often heard of people discussing the "Standard Priestess Temple", but I have not been able to find sample spellbooks. I'm assuming these spellbooks wold be full of Holy Temple cards, but I'd like to see what else is in these versions of Priestess that makes them so powerful.

Can anyone point me to a discussion on these types of builds or post an example spellbook below?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The contents of the spellbook may vary greatly. When I say the standard priestess temple build I am talking about a style of play more than the contents of the spellbook. Which, now that I think about it, is somewhat misleading. Shame on me.

The goal of the standard priestess build is to control the tempo of the game by stacking miss chances, supplemented by guarding and to a much lesser extent healing.

The spellbook contains:

Temples - always the Temple of Light.
Strong defensive creatures such as the Knight of Westlock.
Equipment and/or enchantments that grant defense rolls.
Attack spells that cause daze/stun effects.

It frequently contains:

Staff of Asyra
An angel
Armor - usually cheap or with resistances
A little bit of healing or regeneration

Those are the basics. Even within that group there is a lot of variability possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rock lobster
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

You must also decide which flavor of Tower... and there are two:

1. Turtle
(Spawnpoint/Priests)

2. Creep
(No Spawnpoint/No Priests)

"Turtle" must establish Spawnpoint on Turn 1, no exceptions. Must get Priest-engine working ASAP. Quickly get Tower of Light up for STUNS. Quickly get a BimShala up for Utility.

"Creep" wants to build a creeping chain of BimShala(s) towards center (often two on turn 1), then Tower of Light in center for STUNS. Save for Angel(s). Plan for Direct Damage.

Both should have Arc Lightning(s) for two reasons: STUNS and UNAVOIDABLE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And after you buy 5 core spell tomes and put 6 hands of bim shalla in your deck you will be virtually unbeatable. Gotta love that infinite range. So fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought 4 was the max of any one type spell you could put in your book (not counting Novice)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Hjelme
Norway
Arendal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
I thought 4 was the max of any one type spell you could put in your book (not counting Novice)?

You can have six of each first level spell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rock lobster
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

6 BimShala DOES NOT equal Autowin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Nicewander
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rainofwalrus wrote:

6 BimShala DOES NOT equal Autowin.

This ^

If your opponent lets you have the time and space to fill half the arena with HoBS's, then they deserve to lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Eric Vogt
Germany
M√ľnchen
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mb
Hand of BimShala is UNIQUE now it was an errata. Also Temple of Light costa mana to activate now. Do you guys think Priest is still playable??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.