Brendan Flood
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,
I was wondering what you guys thought about the likelihood there would be a second expansion for Sid Meier's Civilization. As far as I know there haven't been any announced, but I was curious what you thought the chances are that Fantasy Flight would release one in the future.

I personally love Civ and tried to get it to the table as much as time allows. I like what the first expansion added and think that there is more territory to be explored by future expansions. Religion could be an element, as well as more civs, land tiles, wonders, great people, etc.

One thing I think would be cool would be mini-wonders that each nation can separately build like the Manhattan Project or the Apollo Project. Manhattan could yield uranium by some means for those who don't find it by village conquest.

What are your thoughts?

Brendan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
The guys from spielama.de talked with FFG in Nürnberg 2013 and there will be a second expansion. No more infos yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Flood
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:
The guys from spielama.de talked with FFG in Nürnberg 2013 and there will be a second expansion. No more infos yet.

Awesome! I can't wait to hear more details on it! I guess we can start speculating what Civs should appear next in the series!
Britain would be a nice addition, as well as Japan, and the Zulus.

I'd like to see more land tiles with the treasure spots on them like Atlantis and the Lost City of Gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said on the FFG forums, there will likely be six civs, and they will likely be:

Aztecs
English
French
Japanese
Mongolians
Zulu

When doing research on the Civ games in an effort to re-design the board game's civs, I deduced that the board game is based largely on Civilization Revolution.

There are only six Civs left from CivRev (the ones noted above), and there's really no reason for them to design fewer than six for the upcoming expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see a second expansion. I think that FaF left a lot of unexplored space for FFG to delve into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chrilla chrilla
msg tools
ZdadrDeM wrote:

is the an offical answer ? where can i find it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A high success game like CIv will probably have more the one expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
chrilla wrote:
ZdadrDeM wrote:

http://www.spielama.de/?p=6196
At 17:18 min (very short, in German)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chrilla chrilla
msg tools
ZdadrDeM wrote:
chrilla wrote:
ZdadrDeM wrote:

http://www.spielama.de/?p=6196
At 17:18 min (very short, in German)

ok thx

i cant wait for it^^

im am german so no problem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Wynne
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Wynners Circle Games
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't believe that the game needs anymore heft. Im all for the game to get more Civs. Civ is one of my groups fave games and would like to continue to see support for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More culture cards, wonders and titles would also be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
one more tech for each level would also be nice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Wynne
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Wynners Circle Games
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonoso wrote:

I just dont know what else they would add unless they introduced a new mechanic for the game. Is it sad that my group after playing a total for 20ish games we just realized that theres no rule saying your pyramid has to be 5-4-3-2-1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Wolf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheWynner wrote:
rdonoso wrote:

I just dont know what else they would add unless they introduced a new mechanic for the game. Is it sad that my group after playing a total for 20ish games we just realized that theres no rule saying your pyramid has to be 5-4-3-2-1?

What do you mean, there is no rule for that? I think this is quite well explained in the rule book.

I hope they will finaly make all the victory paths more or less equally achievable, also the tech way. Scientific theory as a new tech would be nice for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CJWF wrote:
TheWynner wrote:
rdonoso wrote:

What do you mean, there is no rule for that? I think this is quite well explained in the rule book.

I hope they will finaly make all the victory paths more or less equally achievable, also the tech way. Scientific theory as a new tech would be nice for example.

I think he means that you are not limited to 5 level 1 techs, 4 level 2 techs and so on... You can have as many level 1 techs as there are. The only requirement for a higher level is that you have two free techs on the next lower level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Wynne
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Wynners Circle Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
CJWF wrote:
TheWynner wrote:
rdonoso wrote:

I think he means that you are not limited to 5 level 1 techs, 4 level 2 techs and so on... You can have as many level 1 techs as there are. The only requirement for a higher level is that you have two free techs on the next lower level.

Yeah that is what I meant. We originally thought that the tech pyramid HAD to be 5-4-3-2-1 but reread the rules and saw that it wasnt set that you HAD to do the pyramid that way. But to be fair we were taught by a guy thats notorious for being a bad teacher of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheWynner wrote:
Anduin wrote:
CJWF wrote:
TheWynner wrote:
rdonoso wrote:

Don't let he teach you games anymore!

The rulebook can be found online for free on FFG, so, you can read the rules yourself.
Yeah that is what I meant. We originally thought that the tech pyramid HAD to be 5-4-3-2-1 but reread the rules and saw that it wasnt set that you HAD to do the pyramid that way. But to be fair we were taught by a guy thats notorious for being a bad teacher of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our group it is usually the owner of the game who teaches the rules (which is usually me ) For more complex games like Civ it's questionable if a person who does not own the game would take the effort to read the rulebook pdf and teach the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing more complex games it is better if everyone had read the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonoso wrote:
When playing more complex games it is better if everyone had read the rules.

This would, of course, be ideal. But how likely is this? If your group does not consist of only heavy gamer then this would be pretty unlikely
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Wynne
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Wynners Circle Games
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah it was early into our game buying and playing. We figured since he had played before twice and I had just purchased it and the rest of us have not played it we would let him teach us. Throughout the couple years or so since we have been gaming the group joke when someone screws up the rules is if "insert guys name here that taught us Civ" taught them the game. I will agree it is best if everyone reads the rules and then you play a game but it cant always be that way. Anyhow back to the subject what else could they add mechanics-wise and meat-wise to the game to keep it from being overbearingly long and keeps it interesting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chrilla chrilla
msg tools
new things in expansion

i made a list of things they could change/add

religion
tech/culture cards/ great persons
6 player
new civs like france, zulu, vikings, english, maya, japanese ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knut K
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Religion with a more positive way of player-interaktion world be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Wynne
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Wynners Circle Games
mbmbmbmbmb
would religion cause too much gamer debate during games tho? Some people can get overly touchy when it comes to that. It seems like religion could be a thematic addition though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
This would, of course, be ideal. But how likely is this? If your group does not consist of only heavy gamer then this would be pretty unlikely

It seems to me that Civ caters to the heavy-gamer type anyway, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.