Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Hey, That's My Fish!» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Perfect Score = 96 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
By my reckoning, 96 is the highest score you could possibly achieve in HTMF (although very unlikely).

There are 100 total fish. The fewest number of penguins on the board is 8, four of which aren't yours (at best). Of course you cannot capture the singleton fish that opponent(s) start on, so there's four points you'll never get. If, by some highly unlikely scenario you are able to prevent any of your rival penguins from ever moving, so still end up with 100-4=96.

So what's the highest score you've achieved in HTMF?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick look at my iOS achievements shows I won the 'Obese' achievement which reads 'Win against 3 computers with 35-45 points.' I thought for sure I'd broken 50 once but I guess not.

That would be against 3 'hard' computer opponents.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't it be 100-3=97, since you only have three opponents?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
feldmafx wrote:
Wouldn't it be 100-3=97, since you only have three opponents?

In a two-player game, your opponent starts with four penguins just like you.

While a high score of 96 in theoretically possible, I think it is actually impossible. You'd have to fully block any movement by your opponent on your first move, which will not happen unless you set it up intentionally to happen.

For the record, I do not know my top score.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
With 2 players you each get 4.

I don't think that score is possible. Even if the opponent put all 4 in adjacent spaces next to the edge and you "surrounded" them to the best of your ability on the opposite side, there would still be an open path out somewhere. I'm not sure what the max score is, but I don't think 96 is possible.

EDIT: And even being in the scenario above to begin with would require a totally ignorant or very foolish opponent.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vanrydergames wrote:

EDIT: And even being in the scenario above to begin with would require a totally ignorant or very foolish opponent.


Of course, bu these discussions on theoretical maximum scores must always assume a completely incompetent opponent. I think it could be done but I'll have to study the board a bit to see if it's true.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
cagriggs wrote:
While a high score of 96 in theoretically possible, I think it is actually impossible.

Hmm? If it is possible, then it is not impossible.
Quote:
You'd have to fully block any movement by your opponent on your first move, which will not happen unless you set it up intentionally to happen.

Which means it's possible, and you even describe how.

The OP acknowledged it was unlikely.

For the record, I too do not know my top score.


vanrydergames wrote:
With 2 players you each get 4.

I don't think that score is possible. Even if the opponent put all 4 in adjacent spaces next to the edge and you "surrounded" them to the best of your ability on the opposite side, there would still be an open path out somewhere.


I'm "r", you're "v", here's the south east corner of the board, I'm moving first:

after initial placement:
. . . . . .
. r r r r
. . v v v v


after my first move you have no move:
. . . . . .
. r r r
. r v v v v
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Quote:
cagriggs wrote:
While a high score of 96 in theoretically possible, I think it is actually impossible.

Hmm? If it is possible, then it is not impossible.

Quote:
You'd have to fully block any movement by your opponent on your first move, which will not happen unless you set it up intentionally to happen.

Which means it's possible, and you even describe how.

The OP acknowledged it was unlikely.

For the record, I too do not know my top score.


vanrydergames wrote:
With 2 players you each get 4.

I don't think that score is possible. Even if the opponent put all 4 in adjacent spaces next to the edge and you "surrounded" them to the best of your ability on the opposite side, there would still be an open path out somewhere.


I'm "r", you're "v", here's the south east corner of the board, I'm moving first:

after initial placement:
. . . . . .
. r r r r
. . v v v v


after my first move you have no move:
. . . . . .
. r r r
. r v v v v
[/q]

Fair enough. All 9 of those fish would have to be singles. Unlikely is too kind a description in my opinion. It literally would have to be an intentional setup.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
vanrydergames wrote:
Fair enough. All 9 of those fish would have to be singles. Unlikely is too kind a description in my opinion. It literally would have to be an intentional setup.

All 8 of those fish, you mean.

As already stated by others, it doesn't matter if it's only likely to happen with cooperation of both players. It's a normal traditional thing in analyses of the theoretical maximum score that one is considering all possible sequences of moves, no matter how unlikely or self-destructive, because the whole purpose is to find the theoretical maximum, not the practical/likely in real life maximum.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
vanrydergames wrote:
Fair enough. All 9 of those fish would have to be singles. Unlikely is too kind a description in my opinion. It literally would have to be an intentional setup.

All 8 of those fish, you mean.

As already stated by others, it doesn't matter if it's only likely to happen with cooperation of both players. It's a normal traditional thing in analyses of the theoretical maximum score that one is considering all possible sequences of moves, no matter how unlikely or self-destructive, because the whole purpose is to find the theoretical maximum, not the practical/likely in real life maximum.


Ok I can accept that, but it seems pointless.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
vanrydergames wrote:
Ok I can accept that, but it seems pointless.

I infer that you are not a mathematician.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK WADDLE
United States
Austin
texAS
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What if you just went to Long John Silver's or Captain D's instead?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
cagriggs wrote:
While a high score of 96 in theoretically possible, I think it is actually impossible.

Hmm? If it is possible, then it is not impossible.
Quote:
You'd have to fully block any movement by your opponent on your first move, which will not happen unless you set it up intentionally to happen.

Which means it's possible, and you even describe how.

You are correct. Let me rephrase myself. I think it is actually impossible to achieve in a real game against an opponent that is really playing the game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
cagriggs wrote:
I think it is actually impossible to achieve in a real game against an opponent that is really playing the game.

Agreed, assuming the opponent is even remotely competent.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.