Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How to make science strategy work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my 4th time playing the game. 1x with 3p and 1x with 4p. In both games, I've seen the temple strategy and chichen itza strategy come out on top.

I want this game to be the kind that has multiple paths to victory. From my wealth tiles, I got 2 levels up on the agriculture track, but I was unable to leverage ending up in last place.

In that situation, what should I had been aiming to do? Should I had been trying to get more workers? Should I have been gobbling up all the corn? How?

Thanks everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait for that strategy until the monument that rewards tech advances comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO I have the same desire as you to find multiple paths to victory in this game, however, I have also found that the tech trees themselves are not so much a path as much as a compliment to other victory paths. The last game I played I attempted a temple path and slaughtered a guy who even got the 33 VP from the tech tree monument. To me, you must use the techs to compliment one of the other victory paths.

There is already an expansion in the works, so we'll see how much this changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Duke
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A general technology strategy requires one or both of the monuments that reward tech advances to generate big points by itself. But, if you start with a double advance on any track, you should be able to leverage that to give you a boost on points somewhere else - for every tech track, I've seen a game where a player primarily focussed on that and got a good score. Here are some general ideas; the details should vary depending on what everyone else is doing, what opportunities arise, and what monuments are available.

For Agriculture, you should be able to follow a corn strategy, getting lots of corn from Palenque and using it to do things like place and remove workers more efficiently, place on high spaces on wheels when available, and use Uxmal to buy temple advances and buildings with corn, and trade for resources when needed.

For Resources, you can work similarly with Yaxchilan, use Tikal to make other tech advances, build stuff, and get temple advances, and use trade actions from Uxmal to get corn for feeding (as well as ensure you have exactly the right combinations of resources when needed).

For Architecture, you'll obviously want to do a lot of building, whether using resources on Tikal or corn on Uxmal. You'll need to be flexible around use of Palenque and Yaxchilan to get stuff.

And it goes without saying that Theology most naturally feeds a Chichen Itza strategy - but you still have to figure out how to feed and generate other points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dyeyk2000 wrote:
This is my 4th time playing the game. 1x with 3p and 1x with 4p. In both games, I've seen the temple strategy and chichen itza strategy come out on top.

I want this game to be the kind that has multiple paths to victory. From my wealth tiles, I got 2 levels up on the agriculture track, but I was unable to leverage ending up in last place.

In that situation, what should I had been aiming to do? Should I had been trying to get more workers? Should I have been gobbling up all the corn? How?

Thanks everyone.

Seems that two levels on the ag track naturally suggests having lots of workers and placing them aggressively. You will have enough corn to support this.

So given that: Heavy use of Uxmal. You want more workers, you want to be able to turn corn into resources to get tech advances build buildings you want, and you want to explicitly build buildings using corn.

The tech strategy is more indicated by an initial draw of two advances on the technology tech track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Kreiner-Møller
Denmark
København Ø
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to keep in mind is that when you go for a lot of tech, wood is very important. Not only is it the easiest to come by but it is also required for all green buildings that generally allow you to advance a tech. So also keep an eye out for the monument that gives you point for green buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.