Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So looking through the rules, I found explanations for all the cards except for the 5 trooper cards. Are these just a small set, that need to be melded just like the Cavalry companies? At only 5 cards and a legal meld being 3, shouldn't these be worth more points each as they are harder to meld?

The Scout rules confused me a bit, this is what I think I am reading: A player may play off a Scout card on any OTHER players meld of Company cards, but only if the player playing the Scout has at least 1 card of that Company in play and there is not a Scout already in play on that Company. Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Longstreet
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Columbia's Gettysburg: Badges of Courage
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian - I didn't explain any regular meld sets

US Cavalry
Braves
Villages
Scouts
Staff

all 5 could be melded in their category. The US Cavalry must also be melded by color since there are SIX different companies.

A-DK.Blue
C-Lt.Green
F-Purple
H-Orange
I-DK.Green
L-Lt.Blue

each company has a commander +3 points, guidon [flag] +2 points, and 5 troopers + 1 each for a total value of 10 points for a company
60 points for the US Cavalry

18 Braves +1 point
6 Villages +1 point
6 Scouts +2 points when melded with themselves. When you use a scout to
meld on a 3 card company meld [thus to scout them!] they count as +1 point. Only one scout is allowed on each color during each scoring game no matter which players table he is on.
Staff cards - 6 buglers +1 point each 1 USA Banner

These are the regular meld card - the bread and butter of the rummy game
The rules explain how a few of these cards can be used as special cards.
Like Scouts on Companies. Village/Brave SET and how Staff cards can help Custer escape.

Hope this answers your questions

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That does help a lot John. The Troopers now make sense. You may want to mention explicitly in the rules that Scouts can be melded together as well as played separately on someone else's melded company, although maybe the text on the cards clears this up (not sure, it's pretty hard to read in the videos and pics posted).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Longstreet
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Columbia's Gettysburg: Badges of Courage
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian: I think I do explain that in the rules
From the rule book:

SCORING CARDS Set Cards - these are color coded and melded into categories to score points. A meld is three or more of each category below.
US Cavalry – 6 Companies – 7 cards per company: 1 Company Commander, 1 Guidon [flag], and 5 troopers Staff – 7 cards – 1 USA Banner, 6 Buglers Scouts – 6 cards Braves – 18 cards Village – 6 cards

THEN:

Special Combination melds
* 3 Braves/Village Meld - one Village card may be used as a special card and placed on a meld of three braves to protect the Braves. Played this way, the Village scores two points. A Brave/Village meld is locked and no more of either card may be added. If these two categories are only melded except in this special combination on any players’ table, then a new three-card meld of Braves or Villages must be laid down to reintroduce them back to scoring. Otherwise, any players can layoff on Braves and Villages melds not in this special set. A Chief and a Coup Stick cannot steal cards from the Braves/Village meld, but a Braves/Village meld is NOT protected from the play of the Saber card (see below).

*Scouts –One Scout may be added as a wild card to a full three-card or more company meld. But, two company members and one scout DOES NOT make a legal meld. A player may layoff a scout card to a Company if they have or add one of that melded lettered/color Company on their own table. That action is only allowed if that company has been established on any other players’ table, minus a scout. Only ONE Scout card per lettered/color Company is allowed on any scoring table.

*Staff – They help Custer Escape, and may be played one at a time or as a meld on Custer to allow this action. A combination of four points using the USA Banner and/or Buglers permits Custer’s escape if played before the player with Sitting Bull plays the “Sundance” card (see below). If other players have melded Staff cards, it is possible to steal one or more of their Staff with Chief / Coup Stick card combinations (see below).

A couple of game rule editors have proof-read and revised the rules to see that they are smooth and explain the action.

I'm sorry there is some sticking point here.
I'll ask more people to check this out!

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries John, I do see that section in the rules now. The PDF or docx rules linked in the Kickstarter are laid out a little wonky, or display a bit strange in my browser, and I did not see this section at first. Thanks for setting me straight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.