Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like things have come full circle and Ivanhoe is out of print while Camelot (Asmodee) remains in print. So I'm doing an English cheat sheet to translate the French cards.

A couple questions re the most useful organization.

Should it be functional or alphabetical (by French card name)? Or alphabetical within functional categories?

If functional -- as in the rule sets for both Camelot and Ivanhoe -- shouldn't "riposte" (which lets you take the last card played by an opponent and move it to your own display) and "finesse"/"outwit" (which lets you swap one of your face-up cards for one of an opponent's) be in the same category? Official rules (both French and English) have them in different categories (finesse is under cards that may change multiple players' displays).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for alphabetical across all the cards. For a rules translation, I would want them in categories, so as to learn and more easily internalize the different sorts of special actions available. However, for a player aid, being able to quickly find the explanation of that specific card sitting in your hand is more important. My poor French is sufficient to let the card text will trigger my memory of what it does. However, for the rest of the group, they will want to quickly figure out what their card does with minimal searching. Trying to first determine what category the card belongs in just adds another step.

Thanks very much in advance for doing this. I have been wanting to get Ivanhoe for a while, but it didn't get near the top of my buy list until it was too late. I very much like the art on the Camelot, but was a bit concerned that the amount of text on the action cards might be too much for the non-francophones. If the actions look easy enough to remember, with some help from your guide, then I'll probably finally get the French version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I'll submit the file today. FWIW, I got my copy of Camelot from levalet.com and my monolingual 8 y.o. daughter is having no problems with the French text now that she has the cheat sheet. We both really like the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.