Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Ness
United States
Warner Springs
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The note on the "1812 British Start Positions" setup sheet says that Caledonia is automatically destroyed when attacked in a Lake Control Box (LCB) as it has no combat value.

Is this also true if Caledonia is in a LCB with another British ship and the British squadron is attacked there?

Does it count for the number of ships in the combat before it is destroyed if it is still destroyed?

Also, can it accompany other ships into the LCB as part of an attacking force and, as it is not being attacked, not be destroyed automatically?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a good catch. I never noticed that. I assume it is destroyed in the lake control box before combat resolution and doesn't add anything to the combat.

That is my take from a literal rules reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ness
United States
Warner Springs
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It also has to do with the value of card #21, "Cutting Out The Caledonia" (event). If Caledonia can be counted as part of a squadron's size then it has some value in combat.

Currently Caledonia's main value seems to be to gain control of Lake Huron while the US is busy elsewhere, not paying attention in that region. Caledonia alone in the LCB can (possibly) lure US ships out to destroy her, requiring a card play by the US player to do so. Those US ships can freely leave the LCB on the next US card play before the play of the card but they have to be in the LCB for one British go awaiting possible attack.

Playing card #21 saves doing this dance for a 1 point card. If the US fleet is not afraid of a counter attack due to the balance of power of ships then playing card #21 might be less productive than going out and destroying Caledonia and occupying the LCB as well on one card. But if Caledonia can contribute to a battle drm for the number of ships in the battle then card #21 is perhaps a better play on balance.

It's all part of the enjoyment of this excellent game - and most CDG's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After sleeping on it, I am not so sure of my previous interpretation. I saw 'immediate' in there, but it doesn't exist. It says automatically and attacked. We don't really know what attacked means in this context. Is the Caledonia part of a fleet that is attacked sufficient? Does the Caledonia have to be selected as the lead ship to be considered attacked?

I think being part of the fleet is sufficient to be considered attacked. Maybe it is eliminated after all combat is resolved. That would make sense as well.

I went with immediate because the rules have no mention other than that one sentence on the card. It seems like if there were more too it, there would be more rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ness
United States
Warner Springs
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing that the word "attacked" on the one sentence on the setup card should be for both defending and attacking. Also guessing it means Caledonia is automatically eliminated after the naval battle. If it is by itself it is eliminated, essentially, immediately as there is no chance of it damaging the attacking vessel. It probably is also meant that it cannot enter a LCB as attacker by itself but this still leaves the issue of it being in company of other British ships.

I lean to interpreting the attack/defense part of the naval battle process as taking place after calculating dice roll modifiers so Caledonia does at least contribute to a drm when in a squadron of British ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Some good points raised here. The "Caledonia" accompanying any vessels did not come up in play testing. However the "spirit" of the thing is to take into account that the "Caledonia" would generally be alone. Thus, she can take "Lake Control" but the movement of any US vessel into the lake control box would destroy her. True, this would make the uS player burn up a card to do so, but that is intentional.

In 1814 the supply schooner "Nancy" caused the same thing to happen. The US government was forced to send a squadron to get her. They succeeded in this (reflected in one of the 1814 strategy cards)

Now if it ever comes up with multiple naval vessels I would handle it like this.

1) Completely ignore the "Caledonia" for "number of ships in the battle". Just as if she were not there or rather "standing off at a distance". She had no guns that would make any difference in the battle.

2) Let her fate be determined by the result of the battle. Unless the British are able to stay in the lake control box any result causes the loss of "Caledonia". So even a retreat by the British causes the loss of that schooner. In addition to any other losses created on the table. This is the spirit under which I added the vessel in the first place.

Now that the game is out I' seeing some darn interesting strategies that didn't occur in play testing. I guess this is only natural with a tight group of play testers compared to the masses out there.

Enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Stahl

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add to this that the Caledonia cannot be used to satisfy losses either, since it was never a part of the battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Ditto on that, Caledonia could not satisfy losses. She is a supply schooner not a combat vessel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.