Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Uccello
United States
Millbury
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might not actually be the first time ever, but since my Kickstarted copy of this game came in ahead of schedule, I was probably a little biased towards liking it. Thankfully, it lived up to my expectations. I started a game with my 15 year old son last night; this is how it went.
Note: this was our first game, so I assume we got some rules wrong, and I know we missed out on some strategic elements.

I was playing as the Cyber-punk humans, Arc and my son was the Hogman Republic. Early on, he had decided on conquest of as many lands as possible, and I wanted to maximize my resources to build a huge economy. By diversifying my resource spread, trying to add at least one building every round that provided me a new resource (or at least giving me a lead in what resources I had)I was able to have a sizable income lead, both in terms of cash on hand and income gain, for most of the game. My son focused on Turnip production to fuel his Distillery and using military cards to take over various free cities.

By the time we were nearly out of buildings in the stack, his expansionist tendencies had built him an empire that had me convinced I had badly botched my plans, while I was still nursing a small point lead from the second round of scoring. I had managed one territory acquisition, and had upgraded my starting territory, filling both with productive buildings. He had control of almost every single city in the world. When the final scoring card came out, we began calculating our score... and tied. It was a surprisingly satisfying finish to a game that we both felt we had done just enough to win, but were both unsure of the truth of that feeling. After laughing about neither one of us managing to steal a win we high-fived each other at a game well-played. I think it is a testament to a good game that it was fun regardless of a win.

Rules confusions: I think we missed the "take away the four left-most cards", instead taking away any cards in the first four slots each round. It probably extended the game a bit, which really didn't feel like it took very long to play anyway. We were increasing our income only for resource-producing buildings that added a new resource to our cities, and only once per building. I'm not 100% sure we got that part right. We could have used a better description of how Free Actions should work in the rule-book: it looks like another thread here says you do those before your action by playing that card - we had been tacking on the Free Action to the use of cards that had it listed.

Production: I was really, really pleased with the product in the box. I knew the art was nice from the Kickstarter, but the quality of the printing on the boards, the cards, the rulebook and even the tokens seriously blew me away. Including bags large enough for one to be made as a "here is your starting goods" per player is wildly appreciated, and it should make getting a new game started very fast.

Overall: I am already thinking this is one of my favorite returns from Kickstarter; a highly competitive field that includes Flashpoint and FTL. The game provides some challenging decisions to make every round, three actions means you have to make every one count, the game feels like it is expertly balanced and open to different ways to win - two elements that ensure a game stays fun for a long time. The art is great, the production is solid and I will be keeping an eye out for anything else coming out of this developer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first 2 games yesterday, and I really enjoyed my games as well. I won both of my games, but I think that was primarily due to my opponent's poor science production. I really appreciate the diversity of options available. I haven't even started to explore the full strategic scope of the game, since there is a lot to take in your first few game.

I'm pretty sure you get income for every town/building that produces goods, regardless of whether you already have any of that good or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.