Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Timing for Elusiveness rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just need to check - should be a very simple question. Doubt I'm going to use Elusiveness but I need to be sure how it works in case it's used against me.

Elusiveness (2)
When defending, you may receive 1 stress token to choose 1 attack die. The attacker must reroll that die. If you have at least 1 stress token, you cannot use this ability.

Let's say I attack someone with Elusiveness with 4 dice and let's say I have Target Lock and Focus. I roll and get one hit. I use my target lock and get one more hit and a crit and an eye. I use the focus to change the eye to a hit. At what point can they / must they use Elusiveness? After the first roll? After the target lock? After the focus? Whenever they wish?

I'm assuming at the very least they have to use it before they roll their defence dice. Or do they?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tusken Raider wrote:
I just need to check - should be a very simple question. Doubt I'm going to use Elusiveness but I need to be sure how it works in case it's used against me.

Elusiveness (2)
When defending, you may receive 1 stress token to choose 1 attack die. The attacker must reroll that die. If you have at least 1 stress token, you cannot use this ability.

Let's say I attack someone with Elusiveness with 4 dice and let's say I have Target Lock and Focus. I roll and get one hit. I use my target lock and get one more hit and a crit and an eye. I use the focus to change the eye to a hit. At what point can they / must they use Elusiveness? After the first roll? After the target lock? After the focus? Whenever they wish?

I'm assuming at the very least they have to use it before they roll their defence dice. Or do they?

Thanks

The defender modifies the attack dice before the attacker does. It would go like this:

1- attacker rolls
2- defender uses Elusiveness to force reroll of a die; attacker rerolls it
3- attacker spends Target Lock to reroll dice... but cannot reroll the die that has already been rerolled
4- attacker spends Focus to modify results

5- Defender rolls defence dice...
Etc

This is why Han Solo says he must reroll "as many dice as possible" - there might be a die he cannot reroll due to Elusiveness.

For more information, see the rule book. I think it's under Combat Phase where it numbers the order of events and describes at what points each player can modify dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Hodgson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"If the attacker and defender both have abilities that can modify attack dice, the defender resolves all of his abilities before the attacker."

Page 11 X-wing rule book . I'd say he would have stressed to change the first hit you got ( in the example you setup ) . So the target lock would have seen all the dice rolled again .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Hodgson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff , you must have been typing your response up at the same time i was !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
P.S. BGG forums have search functionality. There have been a few threads on this subject. Here are two of them:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/902222/elusiveness-and-a...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/940592/elusiveness-and-t...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kergen ramirez
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tusken Raider wrote:

Elusiveness (2)

Thanks

Carry on everyone will now what your intentions are in the UK nationals end of may! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.