Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Hunsucker
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game looks interesting, but it seems to be an awful lot like Mystery of the Abbey. Can anyone who has played both compare them a bit? Is it worth having both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The similarity is in the increasing numbers of passed cards between the players hands. This makes deduction difficult, at best. Just as it limits it in Mystery at the Abbey. This problem is more pronounced in Alibi, which does not have all of the thematic board play of MatA. The fact that the cards in MatA are all suspects, with interlocking characteristics, rather than cards in seperate catagories is another advantage of MatA.

So, IMO, if you have MatA, there is no advantage in getting Alibi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Alibi. Passing proceeds in a regular order. In Abbey the power cards can result in weird passes where a subset of players can get a huge information benefit. I also remember liking the meld system in Alibi wherein if certain cards keep getting passed around the table you meld them out of circulation.

My primary complaint with Alibi is that in my edition, there were three or four errors on the notesheets. While I call attention to the errors before playing, this lack of attention to detail is inexcusable for a deduction game. Hopefully, these errors have been fixed in more recent printings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Crawford
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big mystery game buff so I own both. Really Alibi is simply Abbey without the board. As pointed out, there are categories in Alibi similar to clue but the way of getting information is similar. You ask open ended questions that can be answered with a number rather than the traditional Clue form of showing cards as a way of answering. So other people can hear the Q&A and make deductions off that. Plus it has the passing element.

Since we got Abbey, Alibi has been shelved but I have to point out that before Abbey came along Alibi got a LOT of game play. We've been able to play Alibi up to 10 people since the deck is so large. Also, the card game format appeals to non-boardgamers and so my wife and I were able to convince people like my parents to play Alibi where the moving a pawn on a board format of Abbey can turn them off.

Abbey is the better buy but if you find Alibi on sale and you like an occasional change of scene, it might be worth it for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played Alibi for the first time, but was immediately struck by how similar it was to Mystery of the Abbey. Since Alibi is the older of the two, could Mystery of the Abbey perhaps have borrowed mechanics and ideas from Alibi?

The two games are slightly different, to be sure:
1. Alibi has some additional aspects, such as the possiblity of creating and revealing melds for points, and the need to discover the location, weapon and motive, in addition to the suspect.
2. Mystery of the Abbey has more theme, and having a board and various events does make it somewhat more interesting but also more chaotic than Alibi.
Alibi better fits the description "Clue on steroids" than Mystery of the Abbey does, since it is more of a pure deduction game, but without the roll-and-move luck of Clue, whereas Mystery of the Abbey is more of a social and thematic experience.

But the basic game-play seems to be a common element of both games: by a process of elimination and passing cards to your neighbour, identify which missing card (suspect) is the murderer. I wonder if Mystery of the Abbey is indebted to Alibi, just as Alibi is indebted to Clue?

For more discussion, see also this thread in the Mystery of the Abbey forum: http://bgg.cc/thread/152499

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.