Subject: Double DIP? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Connor Kirk
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
So, I got my hands on SDE when it first came out, and I wanted to do my own paint job for the figures, when normally I paint the figures to match the artwork. I felt that the figures were just anonymous enough to do so. However I recently changed my mind and wish to have a SDE game with characters matching their artwork. I used to DIP method the first time. Prime, Paint, Polyurethane. But I was wondering if I could spray paint them with primer, repaint them, and then dip them again without ruining my figures. I feel like the only thing that would be a negative is some of the features would be lost, such as belt buckles or buttons on clothing, but overall they would be fine. Does anyone know if this could work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Ing
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be a better idea to strip the paint off and redo. I usually use Simple Green, dunk it in for a few days and use a toothbrush to help remove the paint. I've done it when my minis had the dip (Army Painter) and it worked fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yamashira wrote:
It might be a better idea to strip the paint off and redo. I usually use Simple Green, dunk it in for a few days and use a toothbrush to help remove the paint. I've done it when my minis had the dip (Army Painter) and it worked fine.

I would agree with this. You could re-prime and re-paint but the detail on the SDE miniatures is pretty shallow so this is likely to obscure them. You would be better off stripping them as suggested. Not sure if Yamashira has used Simple Green on the SDE miniatures but I would do a test patch on on of them just in case as they are made of a strange plastic/resin hybrid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castrol Super Clean (in the purple jug) is my paint stripper of choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ckirk314 wrote:
I used to DIP method the first time. Prime, Paint, Polyurethane.

Seems he used Polyurethane (distillate/oil based?) - I am guessing it will take something a bit stronger to remove it? Maybe mineral spirits or paint thinner?

- SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bergman
United States
California
flag msg tools
Or do what I'm in the process of doing - repainting the CARDS to match the HEROES.

While I'm mostly doing it as practice before setting brush to some valuable Magic the Gathering cards (altered art cards can be worth bucko bucks), it's not all that different from painting the mini in this case. All you're doing is "Paint by numbers", essentially - you've got the outline of the character right in front of you, you've got your color-coordination of the hero right on the mini, so it's just a matter of applying brush to card.

Oh, make sure to wipe down the card with a damp washcloth, let it dry, don't touch the area you're repainting with your fingers... but especially if you use sleeves with the cards to protect them, it's a great way to distinguish your set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iamfanboy wrote:
Or do what I'm in the process of doing - repainting the CARDS to match the HEROES.

Now THAT's thinking outside the box for sure!

- SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.