Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules confuse me on this because they say purchase a "train or trains" during the OR at 7.1, but at 7.6 it says "Trains must be purchased one at a time."

So, can a railroad buy multiple trains during an OR, or can it only buy 1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It may buy one train at a time, one after another in the train buying phase of its operations, until it has reached the train limit current at the time of the purchase. Thus, for instance, a company with 2x3T may also buy the first 5T, as it was below train limit at the time of the purchase, even though it was then over train limit after the purchase (and would thus need to discard a train to the pool).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
So the one at a time wording is to prevent you from buying over the limit at the next triggered phase. That makes sense.

Well, we played this wrong...thought a rail could only buy one train an OR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon craddock
United Kingdom
widnes
cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Companies can buy multiple trains but the purchases occur one by one.

An example may show the reason why.

If a company has a single train and is offered the first 5 train to buy.
At the time of the purchase the train limit is still 3 trains per company.Once the first train is bought this drops to 2 and the company would be train bound.
If the company could purchase multiple trains together then it could but 3 5 trains....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
WHILE (President wants to buy a train AND company has money and space)
buy an available train
FINISH

IF (company has a route AND company has no train)
THEN buy a train using funds from the President if necessary

[I omit description of bankruptcy]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawcomic wrote:
So the one at a time wording is to prevent you from buying over the limit at the next triggered phase. That makes sense.

There are other 18xx games where this may be true but not 1830. Eric's description is accurate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
Lawcomic wrote:

There are other 18xx games where this may be true but not 1830. Eric's description is accurate.

Yes, 18AL, 18TN & 18GA - and I'm sure other Mark Derrick versions - all limit train purchases to 1 per company per OR until 4 trains break. It makes for a more measured opening and I'd argue that the games can still offer some excitement - they just require a different approach. I think he's trying to offer opportunities for the constructionists while still providing an 1830 style stock manipulation with a satisfying bit of historical context on the top.

They are "safe" teaching games that I still enjoy for a variety of reasons but over time, with experienced players, plays might feel very similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.