Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
So...still learning the game, and teaching my group how to play.

Last night I floated the Eerie at the start of the game. Then watched its shares plummet due to inability to run any trains (until the green tiles come out). Dumped the stock, took a bath.

Later on, I floated the NYC. And, yep, there was no tile I could place available.

My shareholders ran me out of town. But, obviously, not on a rail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
You were simply operating in an earth-friendly manner, controlling CO2 emissions. No route means no trains, and no trains means no pollution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The next step is to learn when floating and running such a company that doesn't build track and doesn't have a route is a blessed life saver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I floated the Erie in my first game. Looked like it was central and had decent position to connect in to other rails.

The person who was "teaching" the game failed to point out the flaw in my logic. He opened the B&O, stole the PRR from another player and sat on his revenue producing trains and laughed his way to victory.

This led the person who had the PRR stolen to declare the game broken and vow never to play again. It led me to vow to crack this nut and figure out how to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
The next step is to learn when floating and running such a company that doesn't build track and doesn't have a route is a blessed life saver.

QFT. There were other options that you had once you were in that situation that you and my former self lacked the experience to notice. Maybe not a winning position, but satisfyingly con/de-structive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
I floated the Erie in my first game. Looked like it was central and had decent position to connect in to other rails.

The person who was "teaching" the game failed to point out the flaw in my logic. He opened the B&O, stole the PRR from another player and sat on his revenue producing trains and laughed his way to victory.

This led the person who had the PRR stolen to declare the game broken and vow never to play again. It led me to vow to crack this nut and figure out how to win.

Hopefully your "teacher" has been boycotted since then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Morganza wrote:
Hopefully your "teacher" has been boycotted since then?

It would seem more interesting to figure out how to beat him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but not warning a newbie not to float Erie on the first turn definitely qualifies someone as a shitty 18xx teacher. Or someone depressingly desperate for victory, any victory. He would do better by seeking 7 year olds for 18xx opponents.

One can learn much more in a first match of 18xx if one actually gets to do something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
BrenoK wrote:
Yeah, but not warning a newbie not to float Erie on the first turn definitely qualifies someone as a shitty 18xx teacher.

So the teacher was bad. Wah. Now go forth and conquer that just like you're conquering everything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would never fail to warn you about something as blatant as that unless you had asked firmly not to be helped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
I would never fail to warn you about something as blatant as that unless you had asked firmly not to be helped.

Well of course! To be fair, the only experienced player was a rather cocky 19yo and, to his credit, he had a fair bit of experience (albeit, rather limited and naive experience as I've come to learn from his decision making*) and he was playing with a bunch of old men. I remember when I may have lacked the social resources to know when it was proper to tutor instead of dominate. I also wonder if I would have acquired quite the same obsession and taste for blood over 18xx if my first experience hadn't been so devastating.

On a similar note, after a few fumbling games of Dominant Species, I'm feeling the same ire at not playing as competently as I know I could - and I'm hungry for more.

*He was certainly a "constructionist" style player who was mired in his home game's groupthink - I have no doubt that I could beat him soundly now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abn Rgr1978
United States
Portland Area
Oregon
flag msg tools

It seems to me that for such a young and talented lad, you might want to set up an invitation game with some more experience players and invite him to share his techniques.

Or encourage him to take his expertise to one of the Rail conventions to share with the world.

We certainly want to encourage the next Generation so perhaps even a special tutorial could be arranged with Bruce.

WHEN: Saturday 10 August - 13 August 2013 (Just before GenCon)
8am - Midnight Every day
Players will be driving down to GenCon on Wednesday. Great way to get
lots of gaming in a single week.(with 2 full weekends)

WHERE: Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare
5615 North Cumberland Avenue
Chicago,IL 60631
1-800-HOLIDAY (1-800-465-4329)
Please mention Midsumcon or SUM,Book by 19 July 2013

FEES: Weekend $60/pre-reg,$70/door Daily $20,As always no event fees.

ROOMS: $109/night,free shuttle from O'Hare Airport.Free Wi-Fi and Parking.
Free Breakfast for 1 (additional vouchers for $10)
Hotel is an approximate 15 minutes from Midway.
Shuttle runs every 45 minutes 5:00am-11:45pm,every 30 minutes
12am-5am

INFO: Anthony E Carver
1273 West 74th Street
Chicago,IL 60636-4103
773-349-5735
anthonyecarver@yahoo.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.