Subject: Gaming soap - anyone interested? [added poll, thanks!] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bronwyn B
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for your feedback. After exploring the molds available, I will be offering a meeple, mini meeple (real meeple size), an Agricola set of animals and a hut, and possibly useable (yes you read that right, bathtime gaming!) Catan and Survive! Atlantis tiles. I'll be posting my sample soaps mid-May to get your feedback on the "real deal." Thanks again!

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in gaming themed soap. I am thinking specifically of shapes like Meeples, D20s, Elder Sign, etc. What sort of shapes would you be interested in? Only shower size (large bar) or a set of smaller ones (like guest soaps) too?

I've been making soap for a while now, most of them tend to be a natural shea butter base with some olive oil added in and a mild scent. I guess for an elder sign, I could add some activated charcoal to make it nice and dark for those who aren't into dyes. And of course bright colors for those phillistines who don't mind a little dye in their day! laugh

What are you guys' thoughts? Considering making and selling them for Christmas 2013 but as with any business, side or otherwise, research is required beforehand. :-) Any feedback, here or over GM, would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Gaming soap - anyone interested?
Oh the irony.

But yeah, that would be a cool gamer gift.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meeples would be pretty cool.

Also a pack of several normal cubes you could make "JASEmine" scented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
I would purchase a meeple for my wife, if the soap had a nice fragrance.

Fun idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Sounds cool. Meeple shape, of course.

"Don't drop the Meeple!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds neat, when does the first episode air?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara VanderWal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll buy anything meeple shaped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What is this soap thing you talk of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele S
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like meeple soap, a set of 5, in different colors, please
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bronwyn B
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you guys be more interested in...

Poll
Which would you prefer, as a meeple soap lover? Please choose one. Think about what you would buy, as opposed to "that would be awesome... as long as it's free."
Colors that have a specific scent attached (such as brown/coffee)
Colors with no scent at all
Scents with no colors at all
No scent or color (just simple off-white meeple-shaped soap)
Ability to choose both color and scent, but with slower turn-around time?
      35 answers
Poll created by nararabbit

Please choose one :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjen Schouten
Netherlands
Veenendaal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not gonna buy anything (importing soap goes a bit too far for me, hehe), but I just wanna say this is a great idea! Meeples are a sure hit, and little Elder Sign guest soaps will be way cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've purchased soap from Geeksoap before and she's done very well in the past, so I 'd think there's plenty of room for more folks!

http://www.geeksoap.net/products
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bronwyn B
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took a look at her website. Thanks for the link! I have a FT day job so I want to keep things simple, I think I will stick to strictly meeples right now. :-)

Thankfully my husband stays home, so I have a built in assistant who can do all my wrapping, packaging and shipping... and I don't even have to pay him! (Well, except with some loving, and maybe if he's good, a meeple of his own...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm sure most of us can think of at least one person in our gaming groups that we could give a bar of gaming themed soap to as a gift/subtle hint.
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meeple or d20 (how about a full set, d4 through d100?) would be fun.

Just be careful with scented products. Even if the majority ask for them, I'd suggest offering some unscented soaps too. I won't generally buy scented products unless I've actually tried them because they're often far too strong for my liking (I'm rather sensitive to scents - some make me sick).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bronwyn B
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adria wrote:

Just be careful with scented products. Even if the majority ask for them, I'd suggest offering some unscented soaps too. I won't generally buy scented products unless I've actually tried them because they're often far too strong for my liking (I'm rather sensitive to scents - some make me sick).

I definitely plan on offering unscented options. I have really sensitive skin myself so that would be an option regardless. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nararabbit wrote:
Adria wrote:

I definitely plan on offering unscented options.

Good, good. I'm with Adria on this one.

...but if you made soap with "new game smell", I'd buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bronwyn B
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the feedback. For anyone wanting to keep an eye out for when MeepleSoap.com goes live, you can "like" it here on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Meeple-Soap/539163442789257?r...

And you can also sign up to be notified when it goes live on the contact us page of the website (still very, very much in progress!): http://www.meeplesoap.com!

Obviously this forum is not for advertising so this'll be my last post here, but please feel free to geekmail me if you have any questions or comments.

I'll figure out some sort of special deal to offer anyone coming from BGG. So if you opt to sign up to be notified (not the same as a newsletter, you can still say "no" if your mailbox is cluttered enough already!) please put "BGG" and your BGG name in the comment box so I can send you a coupon once we open!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.