Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so this card has huge potential, is hard to build the deck for, and its hard to know how good it will be.

I believe that youre probably best off using it as both a rig setup engine and a pawnshop engine.

Play Inside Man.
Play Pawnshop.
Play Replicator for $0 (fetch replicator).
Next turn:
Play Cyberfeeder for $0 (fetch Cyberfeeder). Play Cortez Chip for $0 (fetch Cortez Chip).
Next turn:
Pawnshop eats Cortez chip for $3. Play Cyberfeeder for $0. (fetch cyberfeeder). Play Cortez Chip for $0. (fetch Cortez Chip)
Next turn:
Pawnshop eats Cortez chip for $3. Play Cyberfeeder for $0. Play Cortez Chip for $0. Draw for more things.
Next turn:
Pawnshop eats Cortez Chip for $3.

etc etc etc.

Finish rig.

Next turn:
Play Replicator for $0, fetch Replicator.
Next turn:
Consume Replicator for $3. Play replicator for $0.
Next turn:
Consume Replicator for $3.
Next turn:
Consume Inside man for $3.

That pawnshop is a SERIOUS ENGINE here. Thats $3 a turn coming in, generally costing a click and no card.

Replicator is plowing through your deck for you as you set up and do lots of free things. Its shrinking your deck to get you closer to the other cards.

Will it work? Is it too slow? Maybe.
Action-efficiency wise, this combo has serious potential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My question about this kind of deck versus, say, two mem chips and a magnum opus, is how many cards are you planning to feed to Aesop for economy, and when the heck are you running?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The funny thing about a replicator strategy is that it forces people using playmats to run out of room.

Some quick thoughts about it:
- I think Replicator will become stronger once HQ Interface is out.
- Use it in Shaper along with Diesel and Quality Time to really get through your deck quickly. Use Public Sympathy for the plus handsize which you'll need if going this route.
- If you don't need a piece of hardware right away or can't afford it and don't want to trash it due to exceeding your handsize, put it onto your Personal Workshop.
- Don't get overly wrapped up in replicating your hardware. Seriously ask yourself as the flavor text says "Do you really need another one?". If the answer is no then don't bother installing it. You run the risk of playing solitaire getting yourself all set up while the Corp wins the game due to you putting absolutely no pressure on them. Use Replicator on key hardware you need to win the game, not just to establish that amazing perfect rig.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think you're on to something here, and I think the true gem in all of this isn't how you've demonstrated how the engine will work, it's that once the engine is primed:

Quote:

Its shrinking your deck to get you closer to the other cards.

I think your setup here is proof enough in prototype that this deck archetype deserves some serious playtesting effort, because this thing could turn out to be EVIL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
Ok, so this card has huge potential, is hard to build the deck for, and its hard to know how good it will be.

I believe that youre probably best off using it as both a rig setup engine and a pawnshop engine.

Play Inside Man.
Play Pawnshop.
Play Replicator for $0 (fetch replicator).
Next turn:
Play Cyberfeeder for $0 (fetch Cyberfeeder). Play Cortez Chip for $0 (fetch Cortez Chip).
Next turn:
Pawnshop eats Cortez chip for $3. Play Cyberfeeder for $0. (fetch cyberfeeder). Play Cortez Chip for $0. (fetch Cortez Chip)
Next turn:
Pawnshop eats Cortez chip for $3. Play Cyberfeeder for $0. Play Cortez Chip for $0. Draw for more things.
Next turn:
Pawnshop eats Cortez Chip for $3.

etc etc etc.

Finish rig.

Next turn:
Play Replicator for $0, fetch Replicator.
Next turn:
Consume Replicator for $3. Play replicator for $0.
Next turn:
Consume Replicator for $3.
Next turn:
Consume Inside man for $3.

That pawnshop is a SERIOUS ENGINE here. Thats $3 a turn coming in, generally costing a click and no card.

Replicator is plowing through your deck for you as you set up and do lots of free things. Its shrinking your deck to get you closer to the other cards.

Will it work? Is it too slow? Maybe.
Action-efficiency wise, this combo has serious potential.

That looks AMAZING I love the potential it has, it's almost like a new virus suite in hardwares

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mateui wrote:
- Use it in Shaper along with Diesel and Quality Time to really get through your deck quickly. Use Public Sympathy for the plus handsize which you'll need if going this route.

Alternate thing to consider, calculate how often you'll be able to get the bones to get this started if you run Andromeda and account for being able to mulligan a 9 card hand.

I'm really curious to give this a try now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth M
msg tools
mbmb
I plan on testing Replicator pretty heavily once Creation and Control hits.

Something like a Kit deck using Dinosaurus (Replicate out the spares), Personal Touch (Replicate them too) to have the world's most ridiculous Yog and Akamatsus to host a collection of utility programs/Self-Modifying Codes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lluluien wrote:
Mateui wrote:

Alternate thing to consider, calculate how often you'll be able to get the bones to get this started if you run Andromeda and account for being able to mulligan a 9 card hand.

I'm really curious to give this a try now

On the other hand for Shaper, Omni-drive is going to LOVE Replicator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot one thing:

- Keep 2 Replicators actively installed so that whenever you play any hardware you can retrieve the other 2 copies of it from your stack. (You really need Public Sympathy if doing this however). This is great damage mitigation as well against Snares and Scorched Earths.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot fathom a deck that relies on Replicator + Inside Man + Aesop's as its economic engine- at least until we have cards that fetch both parts of the combo. Also, I would like to point out that Kati Jones resolves to almost 3 creds per click once a turn, and setting her up is much easier.

With that said, I could see a lot of potential for Replicator and I'm sure there's an excellent Hardware deck lurking out there and would probably include Inside Man and Aesop's...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth M
msg tools
mbmb
Mateui wrote:
Forgot one thing:

- Keep 2 Replicators actively installed so that whenever you play any hardware you can retrieve the other 2 copies of it from your stack. (You really need Public Sympathy if doing this however). This is great damage mitigation as well against Snares and Scorched Earths.

I don't think you'll really need Public Sympathy, with a lot of hardware it doesn't particularly matter if you discard the spares. Your third Plascrete Carapace or additional Console copies don't need to be installed, just gotten out of the way.

For the stuff that you can't discard there's always Personal Workshop!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lluluien wrote:

Oh yeah.

And R&D interface will be the ultimate star. Get 3 out easily with replicator and inside man, crush them. Its a super, perma, 0MU, medium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
lluluien wrote:

Oh yeah.

And R&D interface will be the ultimate star. Get 3 out easily with replicator and inside man, crush them. Its a super, perma, 0MU, medium.

Which requires three cards as a prerequisite, eleven Credits and five Clicks to set up. And unless the hypothetical R&D Interface is Shaper, also Influence expenditure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth M
msg tools
mbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
lluluien wrote:

Oh yeah.

That's why I'm not going to think there will be an R&D interface until we see it in a spoiler, it'd be much better than HQ interface. Too good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the way you can use replicator to use 3*E3 and 3*Plascrete, and can simply fetch the other 2 for discard if they aren't relevant thinning your deck. If you have inside man and aesops, they become click:3 credits. (assuming Kate)

I'm not sure a replicator based deck is quite competitive yet, but its certainly nearly there. Getting 3*cyberfeeder and 3*personal touch early will be huge. Crypsis with 3 base strength and 3 cyberfeeders is quite a good breaker!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
...but we're still clicking him for virus counters. He is a good backup, but I don't know if I would feel comfortable making him my primary breaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Bush
United States
Narberth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I dub this deck concept RepliKate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have a Whizzard deck I've been running that uses Inside Man. It's pretty decent. Only drawback is that once you get one out the other ones you draw are useless. I wish that deck had the influence for Replicator but I don't see how I can get it to fit.

Aesop/Inside Man is already a combo even without Replicator. You ideally want to draw all three but if you only get one or two it's still alright.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I was driving home today, I think I managed to up with what was bugging me about this deck concept.

I'm not sure the click/credit/draw efficiency is actually worth it. Fundamentally, this deck still feels like it going to play essentially like a Big Rig shaper deck, and to that end, and I'm not sure how much this actually improves on a pure Magnum Opus economy + assembled rig.

The set-up for the deck is MUCH more intense, the relative gains are minimal (+1 credit on a singular click a turn), and you STILL need to put the rest of the rig together, including Magnum or a similar for actual, buildable economy. The benefits of later game deck thinning is debatable, since, in theory, you should actually have all the necessary cards pretty early on. The hand buffering doesn't matter either since you are, basically, replacing cards you wouldn't be playing normally.

So yeah. I guess that's my issue with this deck concept: it seems less efficient than a normal big rig deck and the "gains" seem to come at notable speed/set-up complexity costs.

Basically, I'm not really seeing how this engine is much improved over just "Play Magnum Opus." You're basically looking at +1 credit on a single click a turn, provided you can ALSO get Inside Man/Replicator/Aesop's into play AND you're willing to burn deck space on chaff.

The deck thinning potential is decently strong, but I'm not actually seeing why that deck thinning is important (unless you're running an event heavy deck, once your rig is established, you really don't need to draw unless you're protecting your hand). And, of course, Disel/Quality Time provide better deck thinning, in theory (allowing you to see, between them, 24 -sorry, my brain wasn't there while I was doing math- cards in your deck).

I dunno. Replicator just seems like a very complex way of achieving an effect that can be more efficiently reached by just running Magnum and card draw/card tutoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You wouldn't play Magnum Opus in this deck. And if it's a Kate deck, you don't even need Inside Man. So it's pretty cheap to setup, and if you maybe get an Underworld Contact or two then you have the same economy as an Opus rig but with more click-freedom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. I was thinking that there might be something with Underground Contact, but the problem becomes you now need something like...

Replicator, Rabbit Hole, Aesop's Pawnshop, Underworld Contact (x2, x3?), (Inside Man?) to reach the economy provided by an Opus Rig.

Oh, and you need to make an actual rig at some point.

By which point NBN or HB have won the game and possibly gotten through another game. Oh. And you're also WAY more vulnerable to tags (Freeelancer makes this set-up cry).

Like I said in the other topic, I might eat crow on this one, but I'm just not sold on Replicator in the current card pool. There ARE strengths to this engine (the combination of economy + deck thinning + possible clickless economy is unique). I'm just not sure they are actually that advantageous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Andrew. This doesn't crush anyone. It's a combo to give you 3 credits per click once per turn, if you're willing to trash a card. A MO has both explosive credit making capacity (i.e. if you need 6 credits to run RIGHT NOW), is better long term and much more safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott West
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmb
Building partly on the assumption that this deck functions best with Andromeda at the helm, I'd be suggesting Doppelganger as the console. The assumption being that the extra run-click would help keep the deck aggressive and make up a little for the shaky economy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if this deck actually works either, but at least part of an engine is there.

The cool thing about this deck is that you get a bunch of free draws/deck shrinking, and a lot of once a turn $3 actions. I dont hink you play Opus in this deck, you save the $5 and 2MU.

The cool thing is that after you play a hardware or two per turn, for free, and get free draws, you have some time to run, or do whatever other buildup you need. It cant take 8 like opus, but it does get some good money every turn for little effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Frank
United States
Brooklyn
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was roughly my idea for a Replicator deck. I figured it to be Andromeda--more cards at start means better chance to get it going, it would be easier to get Underworld Contact going for more economy, and so on. Thin out the deck, get the breakers in place and put lots of pressure on Corp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.