Fernando Lopez
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for some geek help on finding the best asynchronous boardgame conversions.

I live In the UK, but my online gaming buddies are all in AU so iOS games are played 1 turn a day usually.

This means games with very little gameplay between turns are less interesting to play for example:

- Ra: Draw a tile or call Ra, then wait
- TRR: draw 2 cards or place a train, then wait
- T&E: Place 2 tiles, then wait
Etc...

One game I've found that works really well is Tikal since:
- One turn involves multiple actions, planning it can take a good 10 minutes
- Overall there are not that many individual turns in a game so it can play quite quickly (~2 weeks)

So are there any other ios games people know of that are 'meaty' enough between goes to make it worthwhile?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "meatiest" game with long turns is probably Through The Ages, which you can play at boardgamingonline. It does have a decent number of micro-turns, though, but not nearly as much as Ra or TRR. I get so into the game, though, that long turns are painful; I must have multiple moves per day or I go crazy with that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Lopez
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds fun, but I'm looking to play iOS games mainly - I know roll through the ages is on iOS might be worth looking st.

Thanks for the tip - any others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, here's another web-based game, but I would say it is one of the best from a meaty-turn, zero-micro-turn perspective, and perfect for one day turns. Brass, by Martin Wallace. I know it doesn't meet your requirements perfectly, but it's worth playing in your situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Would
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Lopez
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the new entries.

Not sure about TTR games, I havevthem and I think the card drawing phases are a snooze.

But I'll def check out the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Highfill
United States
Boston
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's very few games that fit your criteria IMO. I have not tried Tikal, but of the games I own on iOS, there are very few that require any substantial/lengthy turns. Personally, I'm more concerned with how well the game translates. I think Stone Age, San Juan and Carcassonne are three of the best, but they all have incredibly short turns (especially Stone Age when placing workers), and therefore don't meet your criteria. In order to find what you want, you might have to sacrifice gameplay or implementation. Nevertheless, I wish you luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BlackFire 1929
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Maybe "Le Havre" or "Titan"!?
The turns are a bit longer. Or you try TBS like Civ- Revolution
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Lopez
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt62702 wrote:
There's very few games that fit your criteria IMO. I have not tried Tikal, but of the games I own on iOS, there are very few that require any substantial/lengthy turns. Personally, I'm more concerned with how well the game translates. I think Stone Age, San Juan and Carcassonne are three of the best, but they all have incredibly short turns (especially Stone Age when placing workers), and therefore don't meet your criteria. In order to find what you want, you might have to sacrifice gameplay or implementation. Nevertheless, I wish you luck.

Yeah Its a tough one I'm starting to realise (Btw Tikal is pretty good if you haven't tried it - possibly better on iOS because you don't have to wait through someone elses 'analysis paralysis' - or they through yours )

I have San Juan - its not async, it is a great port though. Carcassone sounds like a candidate, even though the turn is short there is meat in it, Stone Age not so much.

Tried Le Havre, turns are short but as the game progresses some can be quite heavy (in a good way), need to look into Titan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Lopez
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Addendum,
Richard Would
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried Summoner wars and it looks perfect!!!

Thanks for the tip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Lopez
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bump - anyone have any updates on new games that fit this bill?

Tried scrolling through the Ios games blog on bgg, but its hard to find the specific of every game released and their modes of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boreham
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mb
FLo711 wrote:
Bump - anyone have any updates on new games that fit this bill?

Tried scrolling through the Ios games blog on bgg, but its hard to find the specific of every game released and their modes of play.

I know you want iOS games, but Board Game Arena works perfectly on an iOS (or Android) device and has been a revalation.

I'm currently enjoying async games of Quantum and T'zolkin, but they also have Through The Ages, Puerto Rico and a whole host of others. Check it out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Small World and Suburbia are both two games playable on iOS which have a low turn count, hence being nice for asynchronous play.

As Paul mentioned, board game arena also has such games: Can't Stop, Tokaido, Battle Sheep and Takenoko all have a low turn count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.