Subject: How good is Crypsis and why? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Nordeng
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard many varying opinions on Crypsis, however I have seen more arguments as to why it is inefficient and a a "just in case" ice breaker. Yet I know there are runners that use is as the exclusive icebreaker in their deck and rate it as almost a broken card.

Anyone out there who is really using Crypsis effectively care to explain how and why it is so powerful for you?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It depends on your deck. In Noise decks it is amazingly good because it is a virus and you probably don't want to to waste deck space on the various specific breakers (you want almost all of your deck to be either viruses or economy cards). It's also good in Noise because he doesn't have to run remote servers as much, so the fact that it is horribly inefficient doesn't hurt him as badly.

In other decks you can sometimes use it as a breaker for a type of ice you can't otherwise break. For example you could build a deck with Barrier and Code Gate breakers and then use Crypsis as your Sentry breaker. Crypsis actually compares favorably to some specific breakers. For example, it is nearly as good as Ninja at breaking all but a handful of Sentry ice (namely, Rototurret and Ichi 1.0). The fact that it can also break other stuff in a pinch is a bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tilden
United States
Marana
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion falls somewhere in the middle. He can be used to break any ICE in the game but you need to pump him with virus counters first, costing yourself actions. It mostly depends on the deck you are using. I have 3 copies in my Anarch Noise deck and he is very useful in the style of deck I play. He's a virus, playing into Noise's ability and can be downloaded by Djinn. Virus counters are easy to get without spending as many actions using Grimore and soon the new card Surge. Very useful and effective in my deck and this is the deck where you will usually find him the most efficient and worth the space in your deck.

I have other decks though that only have one copy or zero because he does not fit the decks strategy.(i.ei not efficient) Here's where my opinion falls somewhere in the middle. In the right deck he can be amazing. Not every deck though is the right deck. Depends on the Faction and how the player plays the game. I would rate Crypsis a 3 out of 5. Right in the middle when it comes to icebreakers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it with Gabe because you can run aggro and use the Crypsis to bail yourself without requiring a full rig.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Perry
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mb
when you install crypsis, you've installed your breaker suite. instead of spending clicks to draw cards looking for your suite, and getting it set up so you can pass all pieces of ice, crypsis is all of that in one card.

crypsis is very rarely the most efficient icebreaker, but it is often the 2nd most efficient icebreaker.

crypsis takes clicks to load up, regular icebreakers don't

crypsis is very fast, but the longer the game draws out the worse it gets. a full dedicated suite very often takes less credits to use, but it takes more to get set up.

tl,dr: the longer the game goes, the worse crypsis is, potentially. anarchs like it cause it's a virus and it mills, criminals like it because it supports their strategy of attacking early game pretty handily.

crypsis is also the only thing that breaks trap ice besides wyrm.

it is pretty much the defacto, default benchmark icebreaker to which you compare every other icebreaker to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crypsis usage:

1. To rush like crap. If there's only one ICE, and behind it is an agenda, Crypsis is your best friend. If you're meeting a lot of early game agenda rush, Crypsis can get you in with 0 influence.

2. To make pinpoint strikes. If you can pinpoint agenda, Crypsis can get you in. It's much more expensive than anything else, but it'll do it if you have the money. This break once philosophy is especially combo-y with Crescentus to Derez or Emergency Shutdown to derez (after you get into HQ)

3. With Viruses - Noise loves Crypsis. It's more mill and can be fetched with Djinn.

4. Good with Personal Touch/Ice Carver

5. To rush your rig - if you have economy but not a full suite of 3 breakers, but need to get in NOW, you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
It is super inefficient until you realize it does the work of 2-3 breakers itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wedgeex wrote:
It is super inefficient until you realize it does the work of 2-3 breakers itself.

Technically, it's still inefficient even then. At least on the long haul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gunkel
msg tools
mb
The main advantages of Crypsis are that it is:
a) AI
b) a breaker
c) a virus

The first means it can in principle be used against any ICE. The second means that it can be tutored with special Orders. The third means it can be tutored with Djinn. Add that it can be tutored with Test run and you can be pretty sure it hits the table early.

In Noise decks it means that you have another virus and that you can get into any server protected by 4 or less ICE if you really need to and have the money. Not having another breaker opens up deckspace and memory for some other cards.

In Gabe decks having Crypsis early means that it is hard for the corp to shut you out from HQ in the early game. Chimaera is a great early game ICE, not so great when there´s Crypsis. And again, you have deckspace for some more operations and save MU for things like Sneakdoor and Snitch.

In slower big rig decks, Crypsis isn´t that great - there are more effective ways to get through ICE. But these have to be set up, which takes time and require cards that take up deckspace. Crypsis helps Runners that want to hit the table running or want to play a lot of non-breaker cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hedegaard
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
experimilk wrote:
when you install crypsis, you've installed your breaker suite. instead of spending clicks to draw cards looking for your suite, and getting it set up so you can pass all pieces of ice, crypsis is all of that in one card.

crypsis is very rarely the most efficient icebreaker, but it is often the 2nd most efficient icebreaker.

crypsis takes clicks to load up, regular icebreakers don't

crypsis is very fast, but the longer the game draws out the worse it gets. a full dedicated suite very often takes less credits to use, but it takes more to get set up.

tl,dr: the longer the game goes, the worse crypsis is, potentially. anarchs like it cause it's a virus and it mills, criminals like it because it supports their strategy of attacking early game pretty handily.

crypsis is also the only thing that breaks trap ice besides wyrm.

it is pretty much the defacto, default benchmark icebreaker to which you compare every other icebreaker to.

I have a love/hate relationship with Crypsis for these reasons, especially as Gabe. It's decently efficient cost-wise, and it is a "one card rig," but...

The big issue is the first point: you are clicking to prep Crypsis rather than draw cards/build your rig. Once it reaches late game, if Crypsis is still your go-to (and it might be, considering you have been babysitting Crypsis and not building your rig.), servers with multiple ice are torture to run.

It's good in Criminal if your strategy is "win early or lose." But if you are looking for late-game potential, overusing it can be sabotaging yourself. I guess my message is "Use Responsibly!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hartman
United States
Battle Ground
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really enjoying using crypsis as my main breaker in a noise deck. I have a yog in there for when I eventually draw it, but I use crypsis as the ice breaker. It can be hard to manage if the game drags out. Which leads to the point of my deck, don't drag the game out. Run hard and run early. With tons of money cards, including underworld contacts/rabbit holes which help save time while still earning cash, I normally have enough time to prep crypsis. My MO is usually put down two virus counters at the end of my turn, then another one or two the beginning of my next turn.
Crypsis really shines early game and in combination with data suckers and parasite. I think it would be hard running him as a main breaker without those, possible but harder.
Inside jobs and stimhacks are crypsis' best friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Come to think of it, Mr. Li could mitigate the late-game Crypsis slowdown quite a bit, by increasing the effectiveness of your draws

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its the best icebreaker.

Once you play it, with money you can get through anything. This eliminates any problems of losing because you didnt get the right breaker and they just advanced big agendas.

Once you get other breakers and play them, your efficiency improves. But having him as a backup to not lose the game is pretty important. He fills in for whatever breaker you would find last.

He is also good against face down ice. Are they advancing behnd two ice, and you have no breakers out? Putting a couple into play and running might or might not work. But the play of "Crypsis, Counter, Counter, Stimhack" will get you there. This play scores agendas out of nowhere that they didnt think you could get to. So instead of them getting 3 points and rezzing an ice for free (priority) or whatever, YOU get 3 points. That swing is way huger than any efficiency concerns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crypsis counters cost clicks, so do the clicks to draw, pay for, and play all three breaker types - not to mention the opportunity cost while you're digging. I hate adding counters as much as anyone. I'm still a huge fan of Crypsis, though, and think the breakeven point between it and an otherwise full rig might surprise even me when you look at everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Arnold
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I believe the real value of Crypsis is the bind it puts the Corp player in. As soon as Crypsis is out and you have a decent economy, the Corp cannot drop an agenda in a remote unless it is protected by 2 or 3 strong ICE. This means an early Crypsis can buy you a good 4-5 turns, and sometimes more depending on the Corp draw, valuable time in which you can further build your rig or shift your attention to a central server dominance (depending on your deck/build).

So: powerful late game breaker? no. Amazing early game tool? Absolutely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to use Femmes alone against sentries these days, and - outside of Shaper - Yog as my only code gate breaker. Crypsis can handle things like Tollbooth, Archers, Janus, Troubleshooters, etc. if I haven't got them Femmed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crypsis is also good even if you don't have the wealthiest of faction/ID. Crypsis is opportunistic and allows you to get down any server you want.

It's largest benefit is early-mid game where you've basically installed a decoder, sentry and fractor. For basically 5credits and think of adding a virus counter as installing a zero credit program (it's similar).

Crypsis is only inefficient if you are trying to make a run every turn or multiple runs within a turn.

So Crypsis;
a) run early (and keep economy up) to threaten all servers
b) run early before you have a chance to install all your breakers
c) run early when you don't have enough credits to install all your breakers
d) run early since you don't need to keep drawing cards for breakers
e) replace your code breaker with Crypsis
f) replace your sentry breaker with Crypsis
... it's hyper inefficient when compared to the 2cost to install Corroder

In a real bind (use caution) you can use Crypsis without a counter for a glory run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nords3x4 wrote:
I have heard many varying opinions on Crypsis, however I have seen more arguments as to why it is inefficient and a a "just in case" ice breaker. Yet I know there are runners that use is as the exclusive icebreaker in their deck and rate it as almost a broken card.

Anyone out there who is really using Crypsis effectively care to explain how and why it is so powerful for you?

Thanks.

Because you have to spend Clicks to put Virus counters on it, the better your economy is, the worse Crypsis gets. It effectively starts out at Strength -1 since you have to spend a Click to bring it to "Strength 0, usable" and you could have spent that Click gaining a Credit. As soon as you play Magnum Opus or Armitage, it's more like Strength -2.

It still has its uses, since it's the most cost-efficient ICE for breaking Janus or Archer besides Ninja - and it costs no Influence, and if you get it into play in the early game, it puts huge amounts of pressure on the Corp because it can break anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not all down side.

Its 100% true Crypsis is inefficient. He sucks at efficiency. The trade off is speed. With one breaker you don't have to draw for another, you don't have to pay install another one (that's two clicks! draw/install) and Crypsis is only one click to make it the add'l breaker you need.

But when you combine speed with click efficiency in the early game; he is more efficient than an entire breaker suite.

You save about 2credits against most commonly used breakers (Corroder, Ninja, Gordian Blade). Keep that in mind; then compare the following:

Breaker Suite: Draw Install Corroder (two clicks & 2c) + Gordian Blade (two clicks & 4c)+ Ninja (two clicks & 4c)
Total6 Clicks = 11credits
Crypsis: Draw Install, Virus, Virus, Virus (5clicks, 5c)
Total5 Clicks = 5credits
Crypsis + Corroder: Corroder (two clicks, 2c) + Crypsis & Virus Coutner(three clicks, 5c)
Total5 Clicks = 7credits

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mauro
United States
New York
flag msg tools
He's good because as soon as you put him down, the corp immediately feels the pressure. Nothing is safe anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.