United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderstone: Advance was the first deck-building game I've ever played (Unless you consider CCGs to fall into that category), and I'll admit I didn't like it at first. Playing it was fine, but I couldn't help but notice the lack of variety in the Towers of Ruin game. You only have to play three games to see all of what this has to offer...for most cards, only two. The game did grow on me, but I really wanted to expand upon what I got with the base Thunderstone: Advance set.

Caverns of Bane was exactly what I was looking for.

You get about as much in this set as you do with Towers of Ruin, which is saying a lot. This game practically doubles the experience of ToR, and, in my opinion, contains a lot more useful cards. Rather than having to rely on lackluster villagers and a mostly mediocre selection of spells, this game really brings in a lot of good to counteract some of the more useless cards from ToR. While the weapons and items aren't amazing, ToR came with a pretty good selection, so it was nice to see this expansion focus more on what needed fixing. Pretty much all the other cards across the board got some really nice additions, though it would have been cool to see some more familiars introduced with this set.

I'm not quite sold on getting Root of Corruption yet, mostly because of the "double-edged sword" mechanic of most of its cards, but Caverns of Bane is a must-have if you felt like something was lacking in Towers of Ruin. It gives the game that much-needed variety that I was craving, and has enough new mechanics to keep the game interesting (i.e. treasure cards and the special ability of the trolls). I'm still not someone who would say that Thunderstone is the king of all deck-builders, but this expansion was what really made this game go from something I might trade to a definite keeper. If you have Towers of Ruin and are thinking about other expansions, I would definitely check this one out first. It may just be more of the same, but for a game that was in desperate need of more to choose from, this is Thunderstone: Advance's saving grace.

My BGG Score: 8.5 out of 10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe babbitt
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Caverns of Bane is excellent, but so is Root of Corruption. The "devil's bargain" cards are delightful, *especially* mixed with the other two. Those three, Towers of Ruin, Caverns of Bane and Root of Corruption played together are the best the game has ever seen.

Also, if you're new to the game, feel free to check out my strategy columns and card analysis posts here. Hopefully they will give you some ideas about how to use cards that you may not have thought of before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.