Subject: Has FFG Abandoned Wiz-War? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Adachi
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly hope not! I like this game and I am hoping for expansions. There are so much nice material to draw from in previous editions!

So anyone have any news, speculations or insights into the future of Wiz-War?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Mikademus wrote:
I certainly hope not! I like this game and I am hoping for expansions. There are so much nice material to draw from in previous editions!

So anyone have any news, speculations or insights into the future of Wiz-War?

It is a lovely game. Just the right length for what it is, with a great bit of excitement. My understanding is that 8th ed. includes material from the prior expansions so I suspect that further expansion would be new material. I can envision some new spell decks that add new mechanics and items. Perhaps something that specializes in counterspells, telekinetics, abjurations or necromancy.

Maybe a good project for some industrious person to add user created content!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EduArdo Murruy
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 1584 ratings(in comparison, netrunner have 4238 and is considered a huge sucess) i certainly think there's enough fans to justify at least an expansion or stand-alone sequel / expansion to it. I certainly would love to have more players, spells, creatures, etc. heck, they could even add scenarios, maps, modes of play, event decks, character special powers. C'mon, gimme something!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a feeling they have. No word, nothing for the last year or so. I know I have played my copy quite a bit over that period. I Hope I am wrong.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is still lots of stuff they haven't added (I seem to recall there were several spells involving minions or creatures you could summon, for example) that were left out of the 8th edition. The general consensus was that these spells would show up in an expansion long with the additional player boards, player pieces, and treasure chests. I can't imagine FFG just ignoring the franchise (especially when it's got so much life left in it), so my guess is that they were simply waiting for 8th edition to build up (rebuild?) its following.

The real question is, how LONG will they wait?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Battlestar Galactica had to wait three years for its final expansion. Rune Age had to wait two, I think.

Unless Wiz-War tanked financially (which I doubt) I am confident that there will be an eventual expansion, with creatures and a fifth player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping for a expansion, too.

Some cards in the main game talk of 'creatures', so I am full of hope that FFG will at least realease an expansion including these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kennyd Sevenants
Belgium
flag msg tools
rashktah wrote:
Some cards in the main game talk of 'creatures', so I am full of hope that FFG will at least realease an expansion including these.

lol yes, quite absurd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irylia Corbenic
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh please let there be an expansion... I really love this game and it would be very sad to know that the FFG has quitted on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With Netrunner and X-Wing, they've got a couple of huge money-makers to deal with. Certain things take priority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
My understanding is that 8th ed. includes material from the prior expansions so I suspect that further expansion would be new material.

Unfortunately this state is only partially true, instead...

talusproteus wrote:
There is still lots of stuff they haven't added (I seem to recall there were several spells involving minions or creatures you could summon, for example) that were left out of the 8th edition.

...this is more indicative of game's current state.

Some spells were added to the new edition that I don't readily identify with the original base set or either expansion. Several spells were left out of each of the original sets, mostly from the expansions (I count 15 cards directly titled or clearly re-implementing cards from the first expansion, and 10 for the second). Whether the missing cards are better left out, don't translate well to rule changes, or are material for potential expansion mining are debatable.

As others have mentioned, the primary cards missing (but not limited to) are creatures and artifacts. The latter aren't IMO a big loss, the former definitely is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG really needs to get an expansion out for this as well as Gears of War (which is also long overdue).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
FFG really needs to get an expansion out for this as well as Gears of War (which is also long overdue).
As far as I know other games are due for expansions, too... Horus Heresy comes to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well i want pieces for a 5th player, or some alternate boards for the existing players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That's not my name.
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sislar wrote:
Well i want pieces for a 5th player, or some alternate boards for the existing players.

That's the most important thing to me. 5/6 player, and monsters. Critical.

Horus Heresy sold so poorly that you could fund the expansion yourself and FFG wouldn't bother taking the time to prepare it.

However, since this is the Wiz-War forum let's all keep wishing for an expansion for that, at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
Played today and was reminded of the references to player controlled creatures in the cards themselves. Yes, there's an expansion out there somewhere...I think they had it in mind when they produced the game. But I as well suspect that FFG has bigger fish to fry at the moment.

We'll see, sometimes I'm surprised by what and when certain games get expansions. I'll just have to enjoy the game as is until then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rcmoore4 wrote:
Yes, there's an expansion out there somewhere...I think they had it in mind when they produced the game.

They knew it was a possibility, since creatures exist in the original. They're just future-proofing the game. Just like the base game of Mansions of Madness's Crucifix card works on vampires, even though the base game and two followup expansions have yet to include vampires.

A Wiz-War expansion would be most welcome though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fergus Conolly
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does seem strange that they've taken so long with expansions for this. Especially as there is a large amount of material they can tap into. For me the omissions of creatures is making me close to trading this game. My home made edition is a better game imho for having critters!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny... as of this morning a looked at my FFG WW game box and thought about the not-happening expansions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adachi
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote Tom Jolly a few weeks ago asking about if he had any information about what's up or not, and I never got a reply. It might indicate that he's fed up with the situation (or fed up with people asking him about Wiz-War)?

I was originally quite positive about FFG picking up older games and republishing them, but I am getting more and more antipatic towards them. It seems they like to pick up older titles with much extra materials on the hope that they will be successes and they can cash in on expansions, but they also seems to have little compunction about dropping them leaving the property and fans stranded if it isn't highly profitable.

That sucks. It stops the games from being completed and it frustrates the fans that have waited, and it kills the chances of the title being released by another company. If you pick up a board game title and releases it is a format obviously designed for expansions and that titles doesn't tank then you should be ethically obliged to release the expansion!

I guess FFG is too busy trying to milk their Star Wars IP and making more Android packs to be bothered with their older games and long-time customers. yuk

Edit: Turned on emoticons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That's not my name.
msg tools
mbmbmb
Tom might not be at liberty to discuss the business plans of someone else's company.

I seriously doubt that he's fed up with people asking him about Wiz-War. However, asking him about the game versus asking him about something he's licensed to someone else for development is very different.

GenCon is two weeks away, there are often surprises announced there. Perhaps we'll get some news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikademus wrote:
I wrote Tom Jolly a few weeks ago asking about if he had any information about what's up or not, and I never got a reply. It might indicate that he's fed up with the situation (or fed up with people asking him about Wiz-War)?

I was originally quite positive about FFG picking up older games and republishing them, but I am getting more and more antipatic towards them. It seems they like to pick up older titles with much extra materials on the hope that they will be successes and they can cash in on expansions, but they also seems to have little compunction about dropping them leaving the property and fans stranded if it isn't highly profitable.

That sucks. It stops the games from being completed and it frustrates the fans that have waited, and it kills the chances of the title being released by another company. If you pick up a board game title and releases it is a format obviously designed for expansions and that titles doesn't tank then you should be ethically obliged to release the expansion!

I guess FFG is too busy trying to milk their Star Wars IP and making more Android packs to be bothered with their older games and long-time customers. yuk

Edit: Turned on emoticons

Or they're just playtesting, refining, balancing, rinse and repeat.

Wiz-War is far from an easy game to playtest and balance out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adachi
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your optimism and positivity guys, I will try to take inspiration from you! thumbsup

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.