Subject: Oblivion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
He was a human Wall-E.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
bulldog93 wrote:
He was a human Wall-E.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
He was a clone Wall-E.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
About half way through my bag of popcorn, I had a thought in the same vein. This is just Wall-E without the fat guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend and I got to see it in IMAX on Thursday afternoon, and I would definitely do that again. There are parts of that movie I cannot get out of my head. Mostly in a good way. I ended up really liking it, even if it wasn't perfect.

However, the one thing that really got me was all of the references (intentional or not) to many other sci-fi classics, including Wall-E. Broke the fourth wall for me a few times.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Planet of the Apes: Liberty's torch
Star Wars: several, including the canyon, podracing, and rebel base entrances, delivering a bomb to the center of the Death Star
Blade Runner: the library in the hole, the soundtrack
Tron: light cycles off the grid
2001/2010: look and feel of the technology, the flight recorder flashback scene near the end
And probably five or six other obvious ones I'm forgetting.

Still, overall thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this Saturday with some friends then we went for burgers. I told him I had flashbacks to video games while watching it. When he was ridng the bike across a desert littered with ships I thought I've been there. It's Oasis in Captain Scarlet's dlc in Borderlands 2. Walking across the creaky I-beam? Hell, I did that Friday night in FarCry 3 and months before that searching for the Firehawk in BL2.

Overall I enjoyed the movie but I don't know whether it's because of or in spite of the similarities to other movies and games. Retrospectively, I wish I had seen it in IMAX 3D.

EDIT: I've never seen Wall-E.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:

Wall-E is brilliant, but don't expect sweetness and light. There is much in Wall-E to being profound sorrow. The early scenes were, for me, especially heartbreaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this on Saturday and saw the Star Wars and Blade Runner similarities. However, I completely missed the Wall-E similarities.

I think I am going to have to watch Wall-E tonight.

edit: Overall I enjoyed the show. Somewhat predictable, but had some good action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:

Probably because your children are all much older than the Disney/Pixar addled youngsters in my household. My kids have watched it so much we now refer to Walmart as the Buy N Large.

While Wall-E has an emotional impact (as Michael mentions above), it is nothing compared to the first couple of minutes of Up. I defy anyone with a heart to not tear up while watching that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
While Wall-E has an emotional impact (as Michael mentions above), it is nothing compared to the first couple of minutes of Up. I defy anyone with a heart to not tear up while watching that.

I know I did. And at the ending of Toy Story 3. Oddly enough, I'm only comfortable enogh to cry over something like that in a theatre.

Live theatre can get to me too. I wept all through most of the second act of a local production of South Pacific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
I was going to comment on this thread... then I took an arrow to the knee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can never get pumped for a Pixar film by myself but every one I've gone to see at the urging of a lady friend I've really enjoyed. Good stories and voice acting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw Oblivion, really enjoyed it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.