The Kaiser's Pirates» Forums » General

Subject: The Kaiser's Pirates by John Walter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Bradshaw
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a really big fan of this card based GMT product, even though I have only ever played it solo (just makes me jealous of it's numeric player potential). The game really hooked me into the wider historical narrative behind it and got me searching for related narratives, which in turn led me to the book in the thread title.

How many on here own it? I purchased it recently on e-bay and rushed through it at a great rate of knotts! To be honest it is a very accomplished effort that would read well for the historian or the casual browser. There are detailed narratives on the follwing ships:

Cap Trafalger
Dresden
Emden
Greif
KWderG
Karlsruhe
Konigsberg
Kronprinz Wilhelm
Leipzig
Mowe
Nurnberg
PEF
Seeadler
Wolf

What is really cool is that detail on the less effective elements is pretty high-brow in a condensed appendix.

I think I am right in assuming this book must have been a major influence in the ultimate production of this game as the actual title (verbatum) and the type-face used on the game and book are one in the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Twine
United Kingdom
Near Portsmouth
flag msg tools
"You do not stop playing games when you get old; you get old when you stop playing games." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
mb
ChaseRussett wrote:
I'll need to check this one out. I have recently finished the book called The Wolf: How One German Raider Terrorized the Allies in the Most Epic Voyage of WWI. You might try printing and playing Raider 16...I like it

Hi Chase,
Another good book on the subject (as I`ve already mentioned to Hirsty) is "The Last Corsair: The Story of the Emden" by Dan Van der Vat which reads like a ripping yarn and which is being turned into a film...

Another one to look out for is "The Cruise of the Sea Eagle: The Amazing True Story of Germany's Gentleman Pirate" by Blaine Pardoe. If you can`t find a copy at an affordable price the wikipedia entry for Felix von Luckner is quite an eye-opener. One of the POW camps that held him in NZ is shown in an episode of "Billy Connolly's World Tour of New Zealand" though I don`t remember which episode
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jepsen Preusse
Denmark
Copenhagen S
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I would like to recommend the following title:
The Wolf: How One German Raider Terrorized the Allies in the Most Epic Voyage of WWI
http://www.amazon.com/The-Wolf-German-Raider-Terrorized/dp/B...

I read it a few years ago and I was thouroughly entertained.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.