Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Woods
United States
Calabasas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My friend and I are highly interested in getting into this game. But I do have a question about the variety and customization of the decks you can make. Basically I just want to make sure deck building isnt just about buying the newest expansions, and having an overall well-rounded deck. I would love to see the option to have a "Force Corp discard" deck, or "direct damage", etc.

Can anyone please describe how much strategy variety is possible.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a lot of variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Cain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, there's quite a bit. I have enjoyed trying a lot of new strategies, which usually need a good tweak or two. Especially if you are not playing SUPER-competitively, it's a blast to try to surprise your opponent with something they aren't expecting out of your deck. The more packs that come, the more variety, but even just Core plus 2 data packs is a really good start to variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting off with 2 Core Sets is a great way to expand deck building possibilities without the need to buy expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Woods
United States
Calabasas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Since the base game is $30-40, I think buying the expansions would be better, and cheaper. Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Not if you know where to look...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This ain't Magic: The Gathering. In games like that, there are dedicated one-trick-pony decks that specialize in doing one thing at the sacrifice of all else, namely, because the games are short and fast. In Netrunner, the games are a lot longer and more detailed, and decks that focus too hard on one thing and nothing else just won't win as often as decks with multiple tools available. Just ask any Scorched Earth player.

What I'm saying is, the "combos" in this game are a lot more subtle, and not necessarily the dedication of an entire deck. Trust me, every card counts when you build an ANR deck, but more because of how you'll choose to play them than how well they fit the theme of the deck. This game really does reward creativity above netdecking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gunkel
msg tools
mb
Well, the basic structure using Identities and Influence means that you can´t put the "best" cards in one deck. There are distinctive strengths and weaknesses for all corp and runner factions and that in itself means that you have at least 7 decks types, even if it simply was a matter of "take the best cards from a faction + the best cards overall to fill out influence". But it definitely isn´t. There are some subtle and some not so subtle play differences between various decks built with the same Identity. NBN has a lot of tagging options. There are various ways to exploit them, from flatlining the runner with Scorched Earth to denying him economy with Freelancer and Closed Accounts and things like Psychographics allowing big agendas to be fast advanced.

So far every expansion has increased options for deckbuilding and I can see this continuing for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
Boxcar12 wrote:
Since the base game is $30-40, I think buying the expansions would be better, and cheaper. Right?

Not really. The core really is the core.
You tweak with expansions, but you build with core sets.

When you get used to the game you'll want to play with the options the expansions give you, but it's not necessary by any means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nunes
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boxcar12 wrote:
My friend and I are highly interested in getting into this game. But I do have a question about the variety and customization of the decks you can make. Basically I just want to make sure deck building isnt just about buying the newest expansions, and having an overall well-rounded deck. I would love to see the option to have a "Force Corp discard" deck, or "direct damage", etc.

Can anyone please describe how much strategy variety is possible.

Thanks

Take it from a newer player, this game is fantastic, and very deep. The Influence system used requires you to make tough deckbuilding decisions, to the effect that one or two cards will vastly tweak the way a deck is played. Each faction/identity has a very different play style and beings the game isn't collectible, every card is easy to obtain.

In regards to expansions, aka data packs, they change the meta (if this game even has one, still too early to tell) very frequently, changing the thought processes on almost everything every month. If there was ever a game to get into now, it would be Android: Netrunner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
onibaku06 wrote:
The Influence system used requires you to make tough deckbuilding decisions...

So true. Sometimes, the wife will come in and see this fierce look of concentration on my face.

"Babe, what's wrong?"
"I'm trying to get down to 15 influence!"
"..."

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.