Subject: card manifest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
Does someone have a card manifest for this set? I'm a solo gamer and I need to know how many cards in this set (and in CoB) are non-solo to worth the purchase. With the starter set coming out, I'm thinking to collect these 3 sets. thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The closest you will get I think is Tom vassal's reviews which give an overview of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
charlesting wrote:
Does someone have a card manifest for this set? I'm a solo gamer and I need to know how many cards in this set (and in CoB) are non-solo to worth the purchase. With the starter set coming out, I'm thinking to collect these 3 sets. thanks

I'm not a solo player, but I'll give it my best shot.

Heroes:
- Moonclaw. Manipulates the hall, swapping out a monster from the dungeon deck. Probably too good to keep the dangerous monsters from escaping.
- Silvertongue. Levels 2 and 3 reference other players, so not useful.
- Woodguard. Woodguard's awesomeness is balanced by allowing other players to draw a card when using his Dungeon ability. Might be too powerful without having to worry about that penalty.
- The other heroes seem fine: Armsman, Blademage, Honormain, Profane.

Village:
- Greatsword. Allows you to kill an additional monster; no explicit refill. Probably too powerful.
- Hysterical Villager. He lets us dig into higher level heroes faster by burning off the lower level heroes from the village stack. Typically this would be balanced by also revealing these juicy heroes to my opponents. Might be too good with solo. But without any other players buying into hero stacks, this might actually be the card that finally exposes a higher level hero to purchase as we might experience in a multi-player game. So too good, or useless; not sure.
- Mind Control. Not sure if I'm able to target myself with this card. If not, it's useless in solo. If so, probably too juicy, as it allows me to pluck a monster out of the hall, then lose to it next turn to send it to the bottom of the deck. Though it's balanced by a refill, so maybe that's okay for solo.
- The other village cards seem fine: Blood Debt, Circle of Protection, Cursed Dagger, Profane Wizard, Elven Waybread, Hedge Witch, Labrys, Liveoak Bow, Maul, Rage of the Disowned, Stablehand, Tincture of Victims

Monsters:
- Elemental•Earth (Level 3). Scree and Tremorfiend have breach effects that will keep them in the dungeon almost indefinitely, which means I'm basically free to ignore them. They're the juiciest of the Elemental•Earth monsters, so that severely nerfs one of the Level 3 monster groups.
- Summoner•Old World (Level 1). I recommend that when a Summoner escapes, the top card of the Summoner deck should also escape. That will keep the heat on.
- The other monster groups seem fine: Djinnbound•Corrupted (Level 1), Gnoll•Humanoid (Level 2), Royal Guard•Corrupted (Level 2), Incarnate•Abyssal (Level 3). (The Incarnates will be particularly tough, because they have tight restrictions and won't just wait around for me to draw the perfect hand).

Thunderstone Bearers:
- Both look good: King Caelan, Archdruid.

Treasure:
- Wand of Fear has a Banish ability, with hall refill.
- Others seem fine: Golden Hammer, Magic Shield, Immolation Orb.

Special:
- Curse of Compromise. Fine. And brutal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think that list is comprehensive, but probably a little overbroad. Some specific thoughts:

- Woodguard: possibly a little more powerful than in a multiplayer game, but not a problem in practice. Remember, they were considering the Siege mode when designing this...and Woodguard is even more powerful relative to other cards there.

- Greatsword: not a problem. It's quite difficult to pull off a Greatsword kill *and* kill something else in the same turn...if you can, the turn's respite is well-deserved. Worst case, you houserule that the the hall fully refills after a such an event.

- Hysterical Villager: not even remotely a problem. Village visits are at a premium to begin with.

- Elemental Earth: Since the breach events can only happen once per turn, those elementals will eventually exit. Having played this group solo, I can say it's also not an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
fizzmore wrote:
- Elemental Earth: Since the breach events can only happen once per turn, those elementals will eventually exit. Having played this group solo, I can say it's also not an issue.

Not quite. The rule about breaches not repeating is to clarify that a breach doesn't continue to happen turn after turn, while the monster sits in Rank 1. If the monster leaves Rank 1 and then returns (whether in this turn or on a subsequent turn), the Breach is triggered again.

p.21 wrote:
Breach effects only happen once, no matter how long the monster stays in rank 1. If the monster leaves rank 1 and returns, the Breach effect happens again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
darquil wrote:
fizzmore wrote:

Not quite. The rule about breaches not repeating is to clarify that a breach doesn't continue to happen turn after turn, while the monster sits in Rank 1. If the monster leaves Rank 1 and then returns (whether in this turn or on a subsequent turn), the Breach is triggered again.

p.21 wrote:
Breach effects only happen once, no matter how long the monster stays in rank 1. If the monster leaves rank 1 and returns, the Breach effect happens again.

Yes, but the effect can only happen once per turn (as it says directly on the cards in question) , so if three such elementals are the hall, then one will exit the following turn. Since the thunderstone bearer can't get pushed around the hall by other effects, I believe one will also exit once the bearer enters the hall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
fizzmore wrote:
Yes, but the effect can only happen once per turn (as it says directly on the cards in question) , so if three such elementals are the hall, then one will exit the following turn.

Ah, right you are. Sorry, I had overlooked that.

fizzmore wrote:
Since the thunderstone bearer can't get pushed around the hall by other effects, I believe one will also exit once the bearer enters the hall.

One note about the Thunderstone Bearer, though. They can't be directly move around the hall, since they are "immune to any ability or effect that would... change their position in [the dungeon]" (p.23). But it's a bit unclear to me what happens when someone like Scree or Tremorfiend try to move to rank 3.

1. Will the bearer slide forward to fill the gap, because the immunity doesn't kick in, because the Bearer isn't being targeted?
2. Does the Breach effect get ignored?
3. Do we "do what we can" and move the monster to Rank 2?

My understanding is the first case, that a guardian can be caused to move, just not by being directly targeted (e.g., if I banish a monster from the hall, the guardian will indeed change ranks).

Interestingly enough, I think this would even be an exception for Stramst, since his Global effect only activates when refilling the hall; so I'd assume that he would slide forward as well when such a breach occurs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.