Popular Tags: [View All]
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Been noodling around with something and wanted to see if this sounds as awesome to you as it does to me. It may have a board, or it may be entirely driven by cards with tableaus in the center that function as boards. It's just taking shape, so anything goes.

===

In Nascent, you play an alien microorganism that arrives via meteor on an undeveloped planet rich in flora and fauna. Your mission is to find species with valuable genetic traits, splice them into your genome, develop space travel technology, and launch your new genome into space.

Each species card will have traits, abilities, and resources along its edges. You will take over a primary species, then add the other cards to the left, right, and bottom of it with the spliced addition showing to create your masterpiece. One goal is to never have a dead card in your hand or on the table: everything can be used.

Your primary species has a fundamental flaw that applies a unique constraint to the game. The permutations are looking like there might be as many as 216 species cards. So the number of them will have to be weighed against a goal of every species having meaningful abilities, traits, resources, and flaws.

The currency of the game will be time, based on the current turn + n (what n is is TBD). So on the first turn you might only have 3 time to spend. On turn 2, you would have 4 time. And so on. The more complex/valuable a trait, ability, or resource is, the more time it will take to splice into your genome.

You could race to develop space travel, but the best organism to make it off planet wins, so you have to balance your evolution with your technology.

End game trigger and scoring is entirely TBD.

===

The game could involve cultivating other species to use as workers/attackers/defenders/buffers to handle conflict with other players, as it is possible that direct conflict between player species could be catastrophic.

It's a barebones idea. But it comes from a deep love of CCGs, and weariness with issues common to many of them, especially in the early game. I want for it to feel like you're playing the game f'real from the start, not setting up your engine for mid-game enjoyment.

The time as currency thing may not work very well, and may require clunky bookkeeping, but I thought it would be an interesting way of increasing your ability to act over time in a way that feels organic to the game, while making early game limitations feel thematic.

Nascent is one name I'm throwing around for this. Another is Glom. Whatever it ends up being called, I think I've got my work cut out for me while developing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fin coe
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like what I wanted Spore to be. I like the sound of it, especially the edge to edge splicing. Will the cards be square? Rectangle? Hex?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
fcoe wrote:
Sounds like what I wanted Spore to be. I like the sound of it, especially the edge to edge splicing. Will the cards be square? Rectangle? Hex?

Thinking rectangular, as that gives plenty of room for effects text that can extend down from primary species. Left, right and top probably more consistently sized,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.